Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Acronis PartitionExpert good?

Reply
Thread Tools

Acronis PartitionExpert good?

 
 
SR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
Description (from Acronis web site):
Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that allows
you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions without
losing data...


I have purchased a 180 GB HD (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar) and have problems to
overcome the 137 GB limit in Windows XP.
A newly purchased computer will be able to handle HDs as large as 180 GB.
Anyway, since I am partitioning and formatting HDs very often, I wonder
whether the software mentioned above can also do basic partitioning. The
review talks about resizing, copying and moving only...
Is anybody using this software, or is there any software that allows
partitioning and formatting large HDs without a lot of pain?

SR



__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shepİ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
On 1 Nov 2003 01:21:02 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood invention
that lemmings jump off cliffs "SR" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote :

>Description (from Acronis web site):
>Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that allows
>you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions without
>losing data...
>
>
>I have purchased a 180 GB HD (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar) and have problems to
>overcome the 137 GB limit in Windows XP.


There is no 137 gig partition limit in WinXP.This is a hardware
limitation from your mother board/BIOS.Some mother board have a BIOS
update that can address it or you can usually download a,"Free"
DDO(Dynamic Disk Overlay) program from the drive maker's site to
defeat it or the better option is to use a PCI add-on card as in,
http://tinyurl.com/t7n4
and more info here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
HTH




>A newly purchased computer will be able to handle HDs as large as 180 GB.
>Anyway, since I am partitioning and formatting HDs very often, I wonder
>whether the software mentioned above can also do basic partitioning. The
>review talks about resizing, copying and moving only...
>Is anybody using this software, or is there any software that allows
>partitioning and formatting large HDs without a lot of pain?
>
>SR




--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
email shepATpartyheld.de
Free songs download,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
NewKillerStar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
Yes there was a limit, until SP1 corrected that.....

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 1 Nov 2003 01:21:02 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood invention
> that lemmings jump off cliffs "SR" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote :
>
> >Description (from Acronis web site):
> >Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that

allows
> >you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions

without
> >losing data...
> >
> >
> >I have purchased a 180 GB HD (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar) and have problems to
> >overcome the 137 GB limit in Windows XP.

>
> There is no 137 gig partition limit in WinXP.This is a hardware
> limitation from your mother board/BIOS.Some mother board have a BIOS
> update that can address it or you can usually download a,"Free"
> DDO(Dynamic Disk Overlay) program from the drive maker's site to
> defeat it or the better option is to use a PCI add-on card as in,
> http://tinyurl.com/t7n4
> and more info here,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
> HTH
>
>
>
>
> >A newly purchased computer will be able to handle HDs as large as 180 GB.
> >Anyway, since I am partitioning and formatting HDs very often, I wonder
> >whether the software mentioned above can also do basic partitioning. The
> >review talks about resizing, copying and moving only...
> >Is anybody using this software, or is there any software that allows
> >partitioning and formatting large HDs without a lot of pain?
> >
> >SR

>
>
>
> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> email shepATpartyheld.de
> Free songs download,
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm



 
Reply With Quote
 
Shepİ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:38:11 -0500, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "NewKillerStar"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Yes there was a limit, until SP1 corrected that.....


I stand corrected.

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On 1 Nov 2003 01:21:02 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood invention
>> that lemmings jump off cliffs "SR" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote :
>>
>> >Description (from Acronis web site):
>> >Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that

>allows
>> >you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions

>without
>> >losing data...
>> >
>> >
>> >I have purchased a 180 GB HD (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar) and have problems to
>> >overcome the 137 GB limit in Windows XP.

>>
>> There is no 137 gig partition limit in WinXP.This is a hardware
>> limitation from your mother board/BIOS.Some mother board have a BIOS
>> update that can address it or you can usually download a,"Free"
>> DDO(Dynamic Disk Overlay) program from the drive maker's site to
>> defeat it or the better option is to use a PCI add-on card as in,
>> http://tinyurl.com/t7n4
>> and more info here,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
>> HTH
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> >A newly purchased computer will be able to handle HDs as large as 180 GB.
>> >Anyway, since I am partitioning and formatting HDs very often, I wonder
>> >whether the software mentioned above can also do basic partitioning. The
>> >review talks about resizing, copying and moving only...
>> >Is anybody using this software, or is there any software that allows
>> >partitioning and formatting large HDs without a lot of pain?
>> >
>> >SR

>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Free Windows/PC help,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
>> email shepATpartyheld.de
>> Free songs download,
>> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

>




--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
email shepATpartyheld.de
Free songs download,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
EricP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
On 1 Nov 2003 01:21:02 GMT, "SR" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote:

>Description (from Acronis web site):
>Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that allows
>you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions without
>losing data...
>

Strange, I thought they all did that?

I do not rate this program very highly. I have found Powerquest
Partition Magic to be the best.

On the other hand Acronis True Image is the best program of this type
available.

All this means is that I like what I like and another may feel
completely differently. Try before you buy.


 
Reply With Quote
 
NewKillerStar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:38:11 -0500, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "NewKillerStar"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
> >Yes there was a limit, until SP1 corrected that.....

>
> I stand corrected.

No problem


 
Reply With Quote
 
SR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
> >Description (from Acronis web site):
> >Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that

allows
> >you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions

without
> >losing data...
> >

> Strange, I thought they all did that?
>


Some, but not all...

> I do not rate this program very highly. I have found Powerquest
> Partition Magic to be the best.
>


I have read that version 8.0 it can't handle HDs larger than 160 GM. Acronis
PartitionExpert can handle 180 GB (according to several internet
references).



> On the other hand Acronis True Image is the best program of this type
> available.
>


For partitioning a brand-new HD??? I can transfer entire partitions
including data onto another HD as I know. I also use an external storage
enclosure (IDE to USB2.0). This might cause another problem since some
people have told me that they might not be able to handle over 130 GB...
Gee, these HD manufacturers should either provide a software which enables
one to install such HDs, or mention BIG to go for a smaller model if the
conditions are not met. I bought mine since the price difference was just 30
US$ compared to the 120 GB model.
Well, in the worst case I need to settle for 120 to 130 GB... GRRRRR!


> All this means is that I like what I like and another may feel
> completely differently. Try before you buy.



That's what I tell everybody... but don't apply to myself! Unfortunately,
you can't try HDs.
Still hoping to find someone who can tell more about the Acronis program.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions,
SR



__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Livewire
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)-news.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-
net.ne.jp says...
> Description (from Acronis web site):
> Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that allows
> you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions without
> losing data...
>
>
> I have purchased a 180 GB HD (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar) and have problems to
> overcome the 137 GB limit in Windows XP.
> A newly purchased computer will be able to handle HDs as large as 180 GB.
> Anyway, since I am partitioning and formatting HDs very often, I wonder
> whether the software mentioned above can also do basic partitioning. The
> review talks about resizing, copying and moving only...
> Is anybody using this software, or is there any software that allows
> partitioning and formatting large HDs without a lot of pain?
>
> SR
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________ _____________________________
> Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
> <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>
>
>

It does the job fine, although Powerquest is better.

Since you seem to come from the UK, it also has the advantage of being
free on the front of the December Personal Computer World magazine.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mail
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
I had the same problem with my hardware being unable to recognise the full
capacity of 185GB drive. A friend formatted the disc for me and when
refitted my machine recognised the full capacity of the disc. Exactly why
(in my case) the 137GB limit applied only to unformatted discs I don't know
but it may be worth a try.


"Livewire" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)-news.com>, (E-Mail Removed)-
> net.ne.jp says...
> > Description (from Acronis web site):
> > Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that

allows
> > you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions

without
> > losing data...
> >
> >
> > I have purchased a 180 GB HD (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar) and have problems to
> > overcome the 137 GB limit in Windows XP.
> > A newly purchased computer will be able to handle HDs as large as 180

GB.
> > Anyway, since I am partitioning and formatting HDs very often, I wonder
> > whether the software mentioned above can also do basic partitioning. The
> > review talks about resizing, copying and moving only...
> > Is anybody using this software, or is there any software that allows
> > partitioning and formatting large HDs without a lot of pain?
> >
> > SR
> >
> >
> >
> >

__________________________________________________ __________________________
___
> > Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 -

http://www.uncensored-news.com
> > <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source

<><><><><><><><>
> >
> >

> It does the job fine, although Powerquest is better.
>
> Since you seem to come from the UK, it also has the advantage of being
> free on the front of the December Personal Computer World magazine.



 
Reply With Quote
 
SR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-02-2003

"Mail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fa42f9d$0$9471$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I had the same problem with my hardware being unable to recognise the full
> capacity of 185GB drive. A friend formatted the disc for me and when
> refitted my machine recognised the full capacity of the disc. Exactly why
> (in my case) the 137GB limit applied only to unformatted discs I don't

know
> but it may be worth a try.
>
>


I wonder how your friend has formatted it (what software, etc.?)
I feel that this issue still lacks consumer-friendliness. Hardware
manufacturers would do better business if they supplied instructions of a
floppy with the appropriate software for this purpose...

SR



__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SWsoft Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 Build 508, Acronis OS Selector 8.0 Build 917, Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Build 292, Acronis Power Utilities 2004 Build 502, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS.PROXY v1.10.17.WINALL, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS v5.50.10260 for CITRI vvcd Computer Support 0 09-25-2004 01:38 AM
Dell says no & Acronis says maybe sysprep utility ( Re: Anyone use Acronis Drive Image 7.0? Bobby Fischler Computer Support 0 07-24-2004 12:12 AM
Acronis True Image Drive Image7 or Norton Ghost 2003 c.rowlands4 Computer Support 6 12-07-2003 03:59 PM
Acronis TrueImage & problems making image disk via CD-R fucknutzoid Computer Support 4 11-24-2003 05:26 PM
Acronis TrueImage problems! Rindler Sigurd Computer Support 2 08-16-2003 11:34 PM



Advertisments