Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Recover Lost Files?

Recover Lost Files?

WeeWilly

When I migrated from 98 to XP I transferred all my data files to XP machine.
They were save in "old computer"

I thought I transferred them out of "old computer" to my new documents
directory.

Something happened.. and I can't find them. I did a search for the
directory that I'm looking for and the directory is there but when it finds
the shortcut to that directory is says it points to something that's not
there.

Is there a way to recover any of this? I'm not sure when this happened..
but I understand XP has a way of going back and fixing the last known good
setup.

--
Bill

philo

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I migrated from 98 to XP I transferred all my data files to XP

machine.
> They were save in "old computer"
>
> I thought I transferred them out of "old computer" to my new documents
> directory.
>
> Something happened.. and I can't find them. I did a search for the
> directory that I'm looking for and the directory is there but when it

finds
> the shortcut to that directory is says it points to something that's not
> there.
>
> Is there a way to recover any of this? I'm not sure when this happened..
> but I understand XP has a way of going back and fixing the last known good
> setup.

i think you merely made a shortcut to the files rather than really
transfer them

you just need to copy them over again
making sure they are on your new machine

°Mike°

The shortcut is pointing to the wrong location. Are you
sure you copied the actual files over, and not just a
shortcut? Have you tried opening Windows Explorer
and actually looking for the supposed folder?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:50:54 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
WeeWilly scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

WeeWilly

> i think you merely made a shortcut to the files rather than really
transfer them

> you just need to copy them over again making sure they are on your new

machine

They were there up until Oct 20..

Now everything seems gone. I have no backup yet on this new machine

Does System Restore help here or is it just for getting you back to what was
a stable system in the past?

philo

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i think you merely made a shortcut to the files rather than really

> transfer them
> >
> > you just need to copy them over again making sure they are on your new

> machine
>
> They were there up until Oct 20..
>
> Now everything seems gone. I have no backup yet on this new machine
>
> Does System Restore help here or is it just for getting you back to what

was
> a stable system in the past?

i don't think system restore will help give back lost files

if they were really there...then you may need some data recovery software

until you get it you should stop using your machine
because the lost files may be overwritten

WeeWilly

> i don't think system restore will help give back lost files
>
> if they were really there...then you may need some data recovery software
>
> until you get it you should stop using your machine
> because the lost files may be overwritten

It seems years ago I had a utility that would restore lost data files...

Can anyone recommend one?

Liz

"WeeWilly" wrote:
> When I migrated from 98 to XP I transferred all my data files to XP machine.
> They were save in "old computer"
>
> I thought I transferred them out of "old computer" to my new documents
> directory.
>
> Something happened.. and I can't find them. I did a search for the
> directory that I'm looking for and the directory is there but when it finds
> the shortcut to that directory is says it points to something that's not there.

A common problem with profiles is that, for some reason, you end up with
more than one profile for a user account. The symptom is, all of a sudden,
your documents are missing, this usually occurs when you join a domain and
then log on using the same user name as you used before joining the domain.
In this case, you have created two user accounts: a local account and a domain
account and each account is associated with its own profile.

You can try taking ownership of the folders contents and see if that helps.
Locate the documents folder, right-click and choose Properties> Security tab>
OK on the Security message (if one appears). Click Advanced> Owner tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as
Administrator...Continue here: How to Take Ownership of a Folder

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421#2

WeeWilly

Liz.. I don't know if this will be of any help to my current situation..
but, I just wanted to compliment you on the way you answer people. It is
like "handholding" for a relative novice like me.. rather than a cryptic one
word/URL answer. Sometimes those work for me.. but usually I'm left
confused.

Keep up the good work..

Bill

"Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fU2ob.107345$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "WeeWilly" wrote:
> > When I migrated from 98 to XP I transferred all my data files to XP

machine.
> > They were save in "old computer"
> >
> > I thought I transferred them out of "old computer" to my new documents
> > directory.
> >
> > Something happened.. and I can't find them. I did a search for the
> > directory that I'm looking for and the directory is there but when it

finds
> > the shortcut to that directory is says it points to something that's not

there.

> A common problem with profiles is that, for some reason, you end up with
> more than one profile for a user account. The symptom is, all of a sudden,
> your documents are missing, this usually occurs when you join a domain and
> then log on using the same user name as you used before joining the

domain.
> In this case, you have created two user accounts: a local account and a

domain
> account and each account is associated with its own profile.
>
> You can try taking ownership of the folders contents and see if that

helps.
> Locate the documents folder, right-click and choose Properties> Security

tab>
> OK on the Security message (if one appears). Click Advanced> Owner tab.
> In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in

as
> Administrator...Continue here: How to Take Ownership of a Folder
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421#2

Sherry

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i don't think system restore will help give back lost files
> >
> > if they were really there...then you may need some data recovery

software

> > until you get it you should stop using your machine
> > because the lost files may be overwritten

> It seems years ago I had a utility that would restore lost data files...
>
> Can anyone recommend one?

I've used this & seemed to work pretty well:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

Liz

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Liz.. I don't know if this will be of any help to my current situation..
> but, I just wanted to compliment you on the way you answer people.
> It is like "handholding" for a relative novice like me...

Thanks for the kind words, Bill.
I enjoy sharing information with other posters.
But I don't hold hands. I am a wanderer,
I only come here to pick up a doughnut.
See, you can't judge a book by its cover!

--
So, lets all hold hands and cry.