Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop charging advice

laptop charging advice

Kendra Kay

I've noticed that if I leave the laptop connected to the power cable for
more than 15mins, it (the cable/ adapter thing) gets warmer and warmer. Is
there any risk in that because some times I forget that it's charging and go
out. It's never been for too long but I'm worried about the consequences if
I forget one day and leave it overnight or something. What could happen?
I think my laptop is of North American design (keyboard letters, phone slot
size and adapter for power) so maybe that is related to the overheating in
someway.
I'm still getting used to the laptop having used a desktop before and I'm
beginning to see that there are disadvantages to a laptop as well as
advantages.
Any advice please? - maybe it's just - "Don't charge it for too long" ? I'm
hoping someone will say "leave it charging forever and nothing will
happen"!!
thanx
kendra

DaveG

"Kendra Kay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6Qqnb.4738$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any advice please? - maybe it's just - "Don't charge it for too

long" ? I'm
> hoping someone will say "leave it charging forever and nothing will
> happen"!!

Correct.
Overnight is no problem,I guess once the charge is 100% it stops
pulling current anyway,if you never intend using the battery you could
always remove it.
I rarely remove the battery and use the laptop on the move frequently.
There is some advice about discharging the battery once in a while but
personally I never did this,other than run the battery down.
The battery don't seem to last so long these days,must emphasize
*seems* though.
Which make/model is the laptop Kendra??

ATB-DG.

ps-there are dedicated laptop NG's,just in case you're interested

HamMan

"Kendra Kay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6Qqnb.4738$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've noticed that if I leave the laptop connected to the power cable for
> more than 15mins, it (the cable/ adapter thing) gets warmer and warmer. Is
> there any risk in that because some times I forget that it's charging and

go
> out. It's never been for too long but I'm worried about the consequences

if
> I forget one day and leave it overnight or something. What could happen?
> I think my laptop is of North American design (keyboard letters, phone

slot
> size and adapter for power) so maybe that is related to the overheating in
> someway.
> I'm still getting used to the laptop having used a desktop before and I'm
> beginning to see that there are disadvantages to a laptop as well as
> advantages.
> Any advice please? - maybe it's just - "Don't charge it for too long" ?

I'm
> hoping someone will say "leave it charging forever and nothing will
> happen"!!
> thanx
> kendra

After 4 or 5 hours of use, the one for my laptop is too hot to pick up, but
once it reaches it hottest temp it seems to stay there.

One thing, if youre using it plugged in with the battery fully charged, its
worthwhile removing the battery to prevent damaging it. Theyre rather
expensive little things.

Hamman

DaveG

"HamMan" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
message news:bnletp$a3q$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kendra Kay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6Qqnb.4738$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've noticed that if I leave the laptop connected to the power

cable for
> > more than 15mins, it (the cable/ adapter thing) gets warmer and

warmer. Is
> > there any risk in that because some times I forget that it's

charging and
> go
> > out. It's never been for too long but I'm worried about the

consequences
> if
> > I forget one day and leave it overnight or something. What could

happen?
> > I think my laptop is of North American design (keyboard letters,

phone
> slot
> > size and adapter for power) so maybe that is related to the

overheating in
> > someway.
> > I'm still getting used to the laptop having used a desktop before

and I'm
> > beginning to see that there are disadvantages to a laptop as well

as
> > advantages.
> > Any advice please? - maybe it's just - "Don't charge it for too

long" ?
> I'm
> > hoping someone will say "leave it charging forever and nothing

will
> > happen"!!
> > thanx
> > kendra
> >

> After 4 or 5 hours of use, the one for my laptop is too hot to pick

up, but
> once it reaches it hottest temp it seems to stay there.

I doubt it's the battery generating this heat rather the mobo
transferring the heat,heating a battery will cause damage long term
though doubtless they are now designed to withstand a little gentle
warming!
Otherwise they'd be useless inside a month.

> One thing, if youre using it plugged in with the battery fully

charged, its
> worthwhile removing the battery to prevent damaging it. Theyre

rather
> expensive little things.

The problem with that seems to be the amount of power the battery
loses,say overnight,is as much as 25%.Ideally when you switch to
battery only you want 100% and a second(expensive) battery!

ATB-DG.

Kendra Kay

"DaveG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnleos$ipo$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
[...]
Dave, it's an IBM ThinkPad. I like one suggestion you mentioned - remove
the battery? Sounds fantastic - then I can leave it plugged on all the time?
kendra

Kendra Kay

"DaveG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnlg1o$jpj$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: "HamMan" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
: message news:bnletp$a3q$(E-Mail Removed)...
: >
[...]
: > >
: > >
: >
[...]
Seems like removing the battery and leaving it plugged in all the time is
the ideal solution forme. Saves on battery life and takes away the hassle of
recharging especially as I'm not travelling with it these days
Thank you very much folks
Kendra
PS Done! Battery removed!

Rick Merrill

Kendra Kay wrote:
> "DaveG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bnleos$ipo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> :
> : "Kendra Kay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:6Qqnb.4738$(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > Any advice please? - maybe it's just - "Don't charge it for too
> : long" ? I'm
> : > hoping someone will say "leave it charging forever and nothing will
> : > happen"!!
> :
> : Correct.
> : Overnight is no problem,I guess once the charge is 100% it stops
> : pulling current anyway,if you never intend using the battery you could
> : always remove it.
> : I rarely remove the battery and use the laptop on the move frequently.
> : There is some advice about discharging the battery once in a while but
> : personally I never did this,other than run the battery down.
> : The battery don't seem to last so long these days,must emphasize
> : *seems* though.
> : Which make/model is the laptop Kendra??
> :
> : ATB-DG.
> :
> : ps-there are dedicated laptop NG's,just in case you're interested
> :
> Thanx
> Dave, it's an IBM ThinkPad. I like one suggestion you mentioned - remove
> the battery? Sounds fantastic - then I can leave it plugged on all the time?
> kendra

Don't remove the battery - they you will not have UPS!
The unit is designed to have battery and plug at the same time.

Rick Merrill

Kendra Kay wrote:

> [...]
> :
> : > One thing, if youre using it plugged in with the battery fully
> : charged, its
> : > worthwhile removing the battery to prevent damaging it. Theyre
> : rather
> : > expensive little things.
> :
> : The problem with that seems to be the amount of power the battery
> : loses,say overnight,is as much as 25%.Ideally when you switch to
> : battery only you want 100% and a second(expensive) battery!
> :
> : ATB-DG.
> :
> Seems like removing the battery and leaving it plugged in all the time is
> the ideal solution forme. Saves on battery life and takes away the hassle of
> recharging especially as I'm not travelling with it these days

And when you DO need the battery it will have slowly discharged.
I'd say this will not work. What do others think? - RM

[...]

No other NG's thank you. I've become very comfortable in this room. I've
even got my own lurker's armchair!

Kendra Kay

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: Kendra Kay wrote:
: > "DaveG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:bnleos$ipo$(E-Mail Removed)...
: > :
[...]

What's UPS? I've been happily living without a battery for the last 3 hours.
You mean I have to put it back again??!! I thought I had died and gone to
heaven!!!!