Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > JPEGs

JPEGs

John Richardson

Does anyone know how to repair corrupt jpegs. please?

When I try to open them in PSP I get the message "This is not a valid
JPEG-JFIF file"

Other editors don't recognise them either.

Cheers

Max of Mad

John Richardson wrote:

> Does anyone know how to repair corrupt jpegs. please?
>
> When I try to open them in PSP I get the message "This is not a valid
> JPEG-JFIF file"
>
> Other editors don't recognise them either.
>
> Cheers

I've occasionally run across this problem too.

Some JPEG files are non-standard for some reason. Most of the time, it
is a jpeg from a Mac program...I've forgotten which ones caused it, but
it was usually a macintosh saved image. (I have nothing against Macs, btw.)

Try loading the image using Internet Explorer or Netscape/Mozilla and
see if it shows. If it does, try right clicking on it and then saving
it to a separate file, and then see if you can load the saved image into
your editor.

Max of Mad
--
Leave a tone after the message

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

John Richardson wrote:
> Does anyone know how to repair corrupt jpegs. please?
>
> When I try to open them in PSP I get the message "This is not a valid
> JPEG-JFIF file"
>
> Other editors don't recognise them either.
>
> Cheers

Since no other program seems to be able to understand the file, first
order of business is to make sure the file IS a JPEG...

Copy the .jpg file then do this with the copy.....
Change the file extention to .TXT
Open the file with WordPad
the first few characters SHOULD show JFIF / JPEG...
If you see something else, the file is typically not JPEG format.

As for "fixing" it, that's going to be tough - you'r dealing with a
compressed data file. If it got hosed at some point, chances are it'll
be hosed all the way through.

Who knows - someone might know about a util to do exactly that.

BuffNEd a chnical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

Plato

John Richardson wrote:

> Does anyone know how to repair corrupt jpegs. please?

Generally they are not repairable.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Another flash question - jpegs in flash movie acting oddly. Jim Higson HTML 1 09-21-2004 10:38 PM
Problem with imageio: ImageReader stalls on JPEGs at ~95% Aaron Davies Java 4 06-30-2004 07:43 PM
Can't restore files association or view JPEGs in AXIM X5 say@no.to.spam Computer Support 3 10-02-2003 07:48 PM
created jpegs Brian Henry ASP .Net 2 07-21-2003 05:45 PM
Mozilla and JPEGs James Firefox 4 07-07-2003 10:21 AM

Advertisments