Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 32 gb limit

32 gb limit

albert

I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
win2000

roach

it may do
I installed a Maxtor 160gig drive that was recognised at full capacity at
bios level
but only showed as 126gig at windows level (winxp pro)
installing sp1 cured this so fit the drive and see what fdisk reports

roach
"albert" <noemail@noemail.4me> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
> 20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
> win2000

HamMan

"albert" <noemail@noemail.4me> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
> 20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
> win2000

Not likely, but the disk manufacturer usally provides a program to get over
the BIOS limits.
Visit the manufacturers site to see what support they have, i know for
definite that Maxtor and IBM have programs for this.

Hamman

Buffalo

Many times an updated BIOS will let the motherboard recognize the whole
capacity.
Go to your mfg's (motherboard or PC brand) website.
As for your question, I don't believe so.
It is a motherboard limitation, not Windows2000.

"albert" <noemail@noemail.4me> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
> 20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
> win2000

Shepİ

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:02:27 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs albert <noemail@noemail.4me>
wrote :

> I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
>20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
> win2000

No as the limit is your hardware,not the file system.
Try here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Barry OGrady

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:02:27 GMT, albert <noemail@noemail.4me> wrote:

> I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
>20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
> win2000

No, but you can use an overlay to overcome the bios limitation.
My bios can't see past 32 gigs but I am using a 120 gig drive via an overlay.

-Barry
========
Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

Plato

roach wrote:

> it may do
> I installed a Maxtor 160gig drive that was recognised at full capacity at
> bios level
> but only showed as 126gig at windows level (winxp pro)
> installing sp1 cured this so fit the drive and see what fdisk reports

For a greater than 132 drive you need both bios support and sp1 support.
Your response has nothing to do with the OPs question tho. . .

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Barry OGrady wrote:

> > I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
> >20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
> > win2000

> No, but you can use an overlay to overcome the bios limitation.
> My bios can't see past 32 gigs but I am using a 120 gig drive via an overlay.

True. But the overlay may or may not work, depending on the OPs system.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

albert

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:02:27 GMT, albert <noemail@noemail.4me> wrote:
Thaks for all the help . I D/l maxblast from Maxtor & I'll try that
later .
Thanks again

> I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
>20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
> win2000

Some shareware has a time limit and the software will not work after the time limit has expired. anthony crowder Computer Support 20 01-16-2007 10:01 AM
Redirection Limit John Firefox 4 07-28-2005 10:47 AM
c program, file size limit, how to solve? 2G bytes limit. guru.slt@gmail.com C++ 1 06-27-2005 11:05 PM
Limit Thunderbird to only one instance running at a time? Z Firefox 2 05-02-2005 09:01 AM
How to automatically limit GPRS-usage to urgent matters only ? Jan Wireless Networking 3 02-22-2005 08:45 PM

Advertisments