Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help installing a new harddrive

Help installing a new harddrive

Appelonius

I'm trying to get my new harddrive working. I've got Windows to recognize
it and it seems that a partition has been created. I can't seem to format
it though, and the computer doesn't even see it when I reboot to dos mode.

I'm wondering now if it has something to do with the jumper settings. I've
followed the diagram in the book, the new drive is a DiamondMax Plus 8, and
I've followed Style B accordingly:

http://www.intrasof.com/gmfiles/jumper-settings.jpg << (Diagram in the
manual that came with the HD)

I'm not sure, though, what the Cylinder Limitation Jumper is supposed to
be... so I just ignored that. The drive came pre-set to Cable Select mode.
I understand that you can only use Cable Select if your other drive in the
system is also using Cable Select - but it looks like it's set up as Master
so I set this new drive up as Slave by removing the jumper.

Should I have done something different? Maybe I misread my Master drive and
I should have set this one to Cable Select. Will it damage the drive if the
jumper's set wrong?

Billy

Is your primary drive set to Master, only drive? You may need to change
it to master, with slave.
How was a partition created and with what OS? Use the MMC/Fdisk to
really partition and then format it.

"Appelonius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to get my new harddrive working. I've got Windows to

recognize
> it and it seems that a partition has been created. I can't seem to

format
> it though, and the computer doesn't even see it when I reboot to dos

mode.

> I'm wondering now if it has something to do with the jumper settings.

I've
> followed the diagram in the book, the new drive is a DiamondMax Plus

8, and
> I've followed Style B accordingly:
>
> http://www.intrasof.com/gmfiles/jumper-settings.jpg << (Diagram in the
> manual that came with the HD)
>
> I'm not sure, though, what the Cylinder Limitation Jumper is supposed

> be... so I just ignored that. The drive came pre-set to Cable Select

mode.
> I understand that you can only use Cable Select if your other drive in

the
> system is also using Cable Select - but it looks like it's set up as

Master
> so I set this new drive up as Slave by removing the jumper.
>
> Should I have done something different? Maybe I misread my Master

drive and
> I should have set this one to Cable Select. Will it damage the drive

if the
> jumper's set wrong?

Appelonius

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:38pnb.5231$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Is your primary drive set to Master, only drive? You may need to change
> it to master, with slave.
> How was a partition created and with what OS? Use the MMC/Fdisk to
> really partition and then format it.

Neither drive seems to have a "master only" or "master with slave" setting.

I created the partition with the software on the CD that came with the
drive - and I checked the drive out in fdisk and it recognized the
partition.

I'm using Windows 95 but to set up the disk I booted from the CD.

Appelonius

Hey people, just thought I should let you know that I've managed to figure
out the problem, you can ignore this thread now

Billy

Cool take care.

"Appelonius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey people, just thought I should let you know that I've managed to

figure
> out the problem, you can ignore this thread now

trout

Appelonius wrote:

> Hey people, just thought I should let you know that I've managed to
> figure out the problem, you can ignore this thread now

"Aaaaaaargh!"

That's the sound of the person in the future that has searched
Google Groups with the same problem; and didn't find out how you fixed
yours.
--
"Don't mess with them. They have ray-guns."

Appelonius

news:bnmi8s$1367vm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Appelonius wrote:
>
> > Hey people, just thought I should let you know that I've managed to
> > figure out the problem, you can ignore this thread now

> "Aaaaaaargh!"
>
> That's the sound of the person in the future that has searched
> Google Groups with the same problem; and didn't find out how you fixed
> yours.

Good point, I suppose I should let you know as a public service.

For some reason Windows still identified drive D: as my CD drive, and
identified drive E: as my new HD. I booted to DOS, and decided to try to
format D: in one of those insane
idea-hits-you-that-you-try-for-no-good-reason moments, and to my surprise it
went ahead and formatted it. When I booted back up to Windows it was
identifying D: as my new HD and now E: is my CD.

trout

Appelonius wrote:

> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bnmi8s$1367vm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> Appelonius wrote:
>>
>>> Hey people, just thought I should let you know that I've managed to
>>> figure out the problem, you can ignore this thread now

>> "Aaaaaaargh!"
>>
>> That's the sound of the person in the future that has searched
>> Google Groups with the same problem; and didn't find out how you
>> fixed yours.

> Good point, I suppose I should let you know as a public service.
>
> For some reason Windows still identified drive D: as my CD drive, and
> identified drive E: as my new HD. I booted to DOS, and decided to
> try to format D: in one of those insane
> idea-hits-you-that-you-try-for-no-good-reason moments, and to my
> surprise it went ahead and formatted it. When I booted back up to
> Windows it was identifying D: as my new HD and now E: is my CD.

Good of you to check back in. Always gives a nice sense of
completion; to see what happened from problem to solution. Some people
read these things out of a sense of curiosity, and it's like having the
last chapter missing.
And, you might have just given someone a shove in the right
direction for their problem.
--
"Hey, you never know...."