Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Red Hat icons

Red Hat icons

dave fucko

Got a problem here i cant figure out wondering if someone could help.
I have a linux machine but for some reason from the min i installed it it
had not icons.
Does anyone know how to active the desktop icons?
I dont mind running the codes to get my files but i would like to have them
on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
Any help?
Thanks

Boomer

"dave ****o" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Got a problem here i cant figure out wondering if someone could
> help. I have a linux machine but for some reason from the min i
> installed it it had not icons.
> Does anyone know how to active the desktop icons?
> I dont mind running the codes to get my files but i would like to
> have them on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
> Any help?
> Thanks

Have you asked at one of these groups?

redhat.general
linux.redhat.*

Gary G. Taylor

dave ****o wrote:

> Got a problem here i cant figure out wondering if someone could help.
> I have a linux machine but for some reason from the min i installed it it
> had not icons.
> Does anyone know how to active the desktop icons?
> I dont mind running the codes to get my files but i would like to have
> them on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
> Any help?
> Thanks

The other advice to ask in the Linux groups is good.
However, to get you started, in Linux you either create your own desktop
icons or create/use menu entries. How you do that depends on which window
manager you are using.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

B. Al. Zeebub

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:45:51 -0500, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

> Got a problem here i cant figure out wondering if someone could help.
> I have a linux machine but for some reason from the min i installed it it
> had not icons.
> Does anyone know how to active the desktop icons?
> I dont mind running the codes to get my files but i would like to have them
> on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
> Any help?
> Thanks

Right click on desktop: create launcher. Name it. Select Type from the
dropdown menu. In Command fill in the path. What's the problem? Couldn't
be easier. Now go download Gnome 2.4 and read this:

http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.4/

....and have fun with it.

B.

Meat-->Plow

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:45:51 -0500, "dave ****o" <(E-Mail Removed)>,wrote:

>Got a problem here i cant figure out wondering if someone could help.
>I have a linux machine but for some reason from the min i installed it it
>had not icons.
>Does anyone know how to active the desktop icons?
>I dont mind running the codes to get my files but i would like to have them
>on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
>Any help?
>Thanks

Uhh you have no icons on your desktop? Or no desktop? You don't need to
activate any icons in any build or flavor of Linux I've ever installed. If you
just have a command line, try typing startx and hit the return key.

dave fucko

NA, its running, its been running everthing is cool. Just missing the actual
icons for the home directory, trash can and all that good stuff. and i can
create new ones on it either. its like there is a block on the icons on the
desktop
news:bnm40n$lcd$(E-Mail Removed)...