Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > desperate for help

desperate for help

WCH

For about a week I've had problems with my computer locking up while I'm
browsing web sites (P3, 512 RAM, W2K, IE6). It happens constantly! I've
done all the Windows critical updates, run virus scans with Norton 2003,
scanned with AdAware and Spybot. All came up empty.

OK, then I got serious. Fail-safe BIOS settings. Changed video cards.
Changed network adapters. Pulled all the cards but video and NIC out of the
machine. Put in a new hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 2000.
IT STILL HANGS WHEN I BROWSE THE INTERNET!! How is this possible?? I did
another fresh install on a drive that I f'disked beforehand. All I've got
on it is Windows 2000. No updates, no other programs, nothing. It still
hangs constantly. So, what's wrong here? My fans (system fan and CPU fan)
are working fine. BIOS says the temps are fine. I assume it's hardware but
I don't know what. CPU? RAM? M/B?

I sure could use some help.
WC

°Mike°

How many browser windows and downloads do you
have open/going at the same time?

I was going to say check the physical surface of the hard
drive, but you said you tried another.

Is it possible that your Windows install files could be corrupt?
Do you have a backup CD?

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 02:24:54 GMT, in
<Wl%mb.29054$9E1.107290@attbi_s52>
WCH scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rob

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> For about a week I've had problems with my computer locking up while I'm
> browsing web sites (P3, 512 RAM, W2K, IE6). It happens constantly! I've
> done all the Windows critical updates, run virus scans with Norton 2003,
> scanned with AdAware and Spybot. All came up empty.
>
> OK, then I got serious. Fail-safe BIOS settings. Changed video cards.
> Changed network adapters. Pulled all the cards but video and NIC out of

the
> machine. Put in a new hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 2000.
> IT STILL HANGS WHEN I BROWSE THE INTERNET!! How is this possible?? I did
> another fresh install on a drive that I f'disked beforehand. All I've got
> on it is Windows 2000. No updates, no other programs, nothing. It still
> hangs constantly. So, what's wrong here? My fans (system fan and CPU

fan)
> are working fine. BIOS says the temps are fine. I assume it's hardware

but
> I don't know what. CPU? RAM? M/B?
>
> I sure could use some help.
> WC

It could be a memory problem, the power supply, or the motherboard itself.
Check the memory using http://www.memtest86.com/ (free), check voltages
using a DVM or a software program: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ .

philo

WCH wrote:
> For about a week I've had problems with my computer locking up while I'm
> browsing web sites (P3, 512 RAM, W2K, IE6). It happens constantly! I've
> done all the Windows critical updates, run virus scans with Norton 2003,
> scanned with AdAware and Spybot. All came up empty.
>
> OK, then I got serious. Fail-safe BIOS settings. Changed video cards.
> Changed network adapters. Pulled all the cards but video and NIC out of the
> machine. Put in a new hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows 2000.
> IT STILL HANGS WHEN I BROWSE THE INTERNET!! How is this possible?? I did
> another fresh install on a drive that I f'disked beforehand. All I've got
> on it is Windows 2000. No updates, no other programs, nothing. It still
> hangs constantly. So, what's wrong here? My fans (system fan and CPU fan)
> are working fine. BIOS says the temps are fine. I assume it's hardware but
> I don't know what. CPU? RAM? M/B?
>
> I sure could use some help.
> WC

i would definately do a RAM test (or substitute)

just as a test you might want to try the off by one
browser

you can download it on another machine and transfer it on *one* floppy

it will at least let you see if IE6 is defective or not

another thought...
as it could even be a netowork problem...
remove the net card and put in a modem and try a dialup connection

pls help me im desperate and in neeeeed of your help!!! weepeez@gmail.com Java 1 01-02-2008 04:50 PM
PLEASE Help, I Need A Crashed Disk HD Image/Forensics Data Recovery Tool, I am Desperate for HELP!! Tory Brown Computer Support 16 08-04-2006 02:13 AM
Still Need desperate help to start with ASP NET - simplified problems - HELP!! pamelafluente@libero.it ASP .Net 16 07-03-2006 06:41 AM
Desperate need of help Jeff MCSE 7 12-08-2003 08:18 PM
Help please, very desperate! Matthew Kerner Cisco 3 11-24-2003 05:36 PM

Advertisments