Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Shutdown Problems

XP Shutdown Problems

Jon Watson

Very strange this... For a year or more, my Packard Bell /XP PC decides to
restart, rather than shut down, but only 75% of the time (approx).

I am not hitting 'Restart'
I use Windows Update to ensure I have (hopefully) up to date drivers (if
this is enough)
I have disabled 'autorestart' on crashing, to check if the machine is
bombing out on shutdown and not being noticed.
I have messed around trying new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card, Epson
printer and scanner and removing any old programs just in case (although I
am unsure exactly how to check for correct version, remove and install new
drivers for definite)
I do not have Roxio easy cd creator running (a known problem apparently)
I am not sure which processes within Windows Task Manager should or should
not be running, as I feel this may affect proceedings?

Any thoughts please?

Thanks.

Jon

Shepİ

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Very strange this... For a year or more, my Packard Bell /XP PC decides to
>restart, rather than shut down, but only 75% of the time (approx).
>
>I am not hitting 'Restart'
>I use Windows Update to ensure I have (hopefully) up to date drivers (if
>this is enough)
>I have disabled 'autorestart' on crashing, to check if the machine is
>bombing out on shutdown and not being noticed.
>I have messed around trying new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card, Epson
>printer and scanner and removing any old programs just in case (although I
>am unsure exactly how to check for correct version, remove and install new
>drivers for definite)
>I do not have Roxio easy cd creator running (a known problem apparently)
>I am not sure which processes within Windows Task Manager should or should
>not be running, as I feel this may affect proceedings?
>
>Any thoughts please?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jon

If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
More info here,
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Jon Watson

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
> >Very strange this... For a year or more, my Packard Bell /XP PC decides

> >restart, rather than shut down, but only 75% of the time (approx).
> >
> >I am not hitting 'Restart'
> >I use Windows Update to ensure I have (hopefully) up to date drivers (if
> >this is enough)
> >I have disabled 'autorestart' on crashing, to check if the machine is
> >bombing out on shutdown and not being noticed.
> >I have messed around trying new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card,

Epson
> >printer and scanner and removing any old programs just in case (although

> >am unsure exactly how to check for correct version, remove and install

new
> >drivers for definite)
> >I do not have Roxio easy cd creator running (a known problem apparently)
> >I am not sure which processes within Windows Task Manager should or

should
> >not be running, as I feel this may affect proceedings?
> >
> >Any thoughts please?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Jon
> >

> If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
> Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
> the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
> More info here,
> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
> HTH
>

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> email shepATpartyheld.de
> Free songs download,
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it on
start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link you
kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!

Ta

Shepİ

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>> >Very strange this... For a year or more, my Packard Bell /XP PC decides

>> >restart, rather than shut down, but only 75% of the time (approx).
>> >
>> >I am not hitting 'Restart'
>> >I use Windows Update to ensure I have (hopefully) up to date drivers (if
>> >this is enough)
>> >I have disabled 'autorestart' on crashing, to check if the machine is
>> >bombing out on shutdown and not being noticed.
>> >I have messed around trying new drivers for my Nvidia graphics card,

>Epson
>> >printer and scanner and removing any old programs just in case (although

>> >am unsure exactly how to check for correct version, remove and install

>new
>> >drivers for definite)
>> >I do not have Roxio easy cd creator running (a known problem apparently)
>> >I am not sure which processes within Windows Task Manager should or

>should
>> >not be running, as I feel this may affect proceedings?
>> >
>> >Any thoughts please?
>> >
>> >Thanks.
>> >
>> >Jon
>> >

>> If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
>> Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
>> the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
>> More info here,
>> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
>> HTH
>>

>> --
>> Free Windows/PC help,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
>> email shepATpartyheld.de
>> Free songs download,
>> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

>I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it on
>start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link you
>kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!
>
>Ta

Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Free songs download,

Jon Watson

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"

decides

(if

> >Epson

(although

> >new

apparently)

> >should

> >> If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
> >> Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
> >> the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
> >> More info here,
> >> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
> >> HTH
> >>

> >> --
> >> Free Windows/PC help,
> >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> >> email shepATpartyheld.de
> >> Free songs download,
> >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

> >I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it

on
> >start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link

you
> >kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!
> >
> >Ta
> >

> Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
> what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
> then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
> called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
> parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
> you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
> making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
> In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
> section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.
>

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> email shepATpartyheld.de
> Free songs download,
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Cheers, fingers crossed - if you dont hear from me again, you know I've
buggered it!!!! Thanks, Jon.

Jon Watson

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:28:39 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"

decides

(if

> >Epson

(although

> >new

apparently)

> >should

> >> If you understand your BIOS try disabling the Advanced Power
> >> Management as it's not needed by windows and can conflict.This is not
> >> the same as the ACPI in the BIOS.
> >> More info here,
> >> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
> >> HTH
> >>

> >> --
> >> Free Windows/PC help,
> >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> >> email shepATpartyheld.de
> >> Free songs download,
> >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

> >I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it

on
> >start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link

you
> >kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!
> >
> >Ta
> >

> Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
> what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
> then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
> called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
> parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
> you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
> making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
> In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
> section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.
>

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> email shepATpartyheld.de
> Free songs download,
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

OK, back and in one piece, but couldn't really find the part to which you
referred. I entered the Advanced menu, selected Power Management, but the
only accessible options and their settings were: -
ACPI Sleep Type (S3)
Suspend Time Out (Disabled)
Resume on Ring (Enabled)
Resume on PME# (Enabled)
Power Button Func (Suspend)
Restore on AC/Power Loss (Power off)
Resume on RTC Alarm (Disabled)

Does that make any sense to you please???!!!!!

Shepİ

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:56:19 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>

>> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>decides

>(if
>> >Epson

>(although
>> >new

>apparently)
>> >should

>> >I have usually stayed clear of the BIOS!!!! Is it a case of accessing it

>on
>> >start up via a function key, then following some directions on the link

>you
>> >kindly posted? If so, Which F key is it, and I'll have a bash!!!!!
>> >
>> >Ta
>> >

>> Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
>> what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
>> then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
>> called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
>> parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
>> you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
>> making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
>> In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
>> section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.
>>

>OK, back and in one piece, but couldn't really find the part to which you
>referred. I entered the Advanced menu, selected Power Management, but the
>only accessible options and their settings were: -
>ACPI Sleep Type (S3)
>Suspend Time Out (Disabled)
>Resume on Ring (Enabled)
>Resume on PME# (Enabled)
>Power Button Func (Suspend)
>Restore on AC/Power Loss (Power off)
>Resume on RTC Alarm (Disabled)
>
>Does that make any sense to you please???!!!!!

Yes.Some newer BIOS have started to remove the APM option :/
Try the,
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Free songs download,

Jon Watson

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:56:19 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>

> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:34:56 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"

> >decides

drivers
> >(if

is

card,

> >(although

install

> >apparently)

not

it
> >on

link
> >you

> >> Depends on your system.Usually at bootup you see screen telling you
> >> what key to press to enter,"Setup".This is your BIOS.you can pause the
> >> then the enter key to progress.In the BIOS the section is usually
> >> called,"Power Management" and the keys you use to navigate and change
> >> parameters are shown on the BIOS screen.If in doubt when in the BIOS
> >> you can choose to abort by exiting and,"Not" saving any changes as
> >> making the wrong change can stop the system booting.
> >> In your case you only need to find and modify the Power Management
> >> section so leave ,"ALL" other sections alone.
> >>

> >OK, back and in one piece, but couldn't really find the part to which you
> >referred. I entered the Advanced menu, selected Power Management, but

the
> >only accessible options and their settings were: -
> >ACPI Sleep Type (S3)
> >Suspend Time Out (Disabled)
> >Resume on Ring (Enabled)
> >Resume on PME# (Enabled)
> >Power Button Func (Suspend)
> >Restore on AC/Power Loss (Power off)
> >Resume on RTC Alarm (Disabled)
> >
> >Does that make any sense to you please???!!!!!

> Yes.Some newer BIOS have started to remove the APM option :/
> Try the,
> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php

aleady tried it, I think it may be 95/98/ME specific as the APM instructions
doesnt tally up with my settings . There is no 'Advanced Power Management
Suppport' withing the System Devices branch as instructed!

Shepİ

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:12:02 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>> >decides

>drivers
>> >(if

>is

>card,
>> >(although

>install
>> >apparently)

>not

>it
>> >on

>link
>> >you

>> >OK, back and in one piece, but couldn't really find the part to which you
>> >referred. I entered the Advanced menu, selected Power Management, but

>the
>> >only accessible options and their settings were: -
>> >ACPI Sleep Type (S3)
>> >Suspend Time Out (Disabled)
>> >Resume on Ring (Enabled)
>> >Resume on PME# (Enabled)
>> >Power Button Func (Suspend)
>> >Restore on AC/Power Loss (Power off)
>> >Resume on RTC Alarm (Disabled)
>> >
>> >Does that make any sense to you please???!!!!!

>> Yes.Some newer BIOS have started to remove the APM option :/
>> Try the,
>> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
>>

>aleady tried it, I think it may be 95/98/ME specific as the APM instructions
>doesnt tally up with my settings . There is no 'Advanced Power Management
>Suppport' withing the System Devices branch as instructed!

Ah!
Look for updated mother board drivers and also run the control
Panel/Add New Hardware Wizard and let it install what it finds.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Free songs download,

Jon Watson

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:12:02 -0000, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Jon Watson"

(approx).

> >drivers

machine
> >is

> >card,

> >install

or

> >not

accessing
> >it

> >link

the

and

change

you

> >the

> >> Yes.Some newer BIOS have started to remove the APM option :/
> >> Try the,
> >> http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.php
> >>

> >aleady tried it, I think it may be 95/98/ME specific as the APM

instructions
> >doesnt tally up with my settings . There is no 'Advanced Power

Management
> >Suppport' withing the System Devices branch as instructed!

> Ah!
> Look for updated mother board drivers and also run the control
> Panel/Add New Hardware Wizard and let it install what it finds.

How do I search for those??!?!? Is this to add the APM option back ?