Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Good Cookies bad Cookies?

Good Cookies bad Cookies?

AK

Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't have
a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will have the
name of something I recognise in them, but others give no indication of what
there used for. Is there any safe way of identified and deleting them as I
know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother if you delete the
wrong ones.

---

Gary G. Taylor

AK wrote:

> Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
> spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't
> have a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will
> have the name of something I recognise in them, but others give no
> indication of what there used for. Is there any safe way of identified and
> deleting them as I know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother
> if you delete the wrong ones.
>

> ---

1. Please lose the AVG signature. It is broken (it should be only two dashes
and a space, rather than three dashes), and it is utterly meaningless when
posting text messages in a text-only NEWSgroup.

2. The "good" cookies are the ones which a site uses to identify you on
return visits. If you enter a username and password and ask the site to
"remember me," that sets a cookie. There are also "session only" cookies
used by sites which have shopping carts, etc., as a way of keeping track of
you during a visit. But those cookies should expire as soon as you close
your browser and not stick around in your cookie file.

I use Mozilla as my browser, and I have it inform me of every time a site
wants to set a cookie. You can generally tell pretty easily when to let a
cookie be set and when not to. (Examples of when not to: the cookie expires
in ten years, or it has your email address in it.)

Don't wait until a cookie has been set and then go through and clean them
out afterward. Catch them as they are offered. Mozilla is not the only
browser that will do this.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Shepİ

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:21:52 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "AK" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote :

>Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
>spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't have
>a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will have the
>name of something I recognise in them, but others give no indication of what
>there used for. Is there any safe way of identified and deleting them as I
>know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother if you delete the
>wrong ones.

All cookies are temp files and can be cleared.Any page requiring them
will place them back.You should clean out ALL your Temporary Internet
Folders on a regular basis and also your Temp folders.
For win95/98 you can use the free,"Clearbat" for this,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
Or use,"Spider" for all O/S,
http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/fr...408539,00.html

HTH

trout

AK wrote:

> Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
> spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I
> don't have a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as
> they will have the name of something I recognise in them, but others
> give no indication of what there used for. Is there any safe way of
> identified and deleting them as I know from experience it can cause
> you a lot of bother if you delete the wrong ones.

First; I'd also use Spybot Search & Destroy
<http://security.kolla.de/>
to make sure you don't have any data-miners.
I'd also (my opinion) err on the side of safety, and go ahead and
delete any cookies that were utterly unrecognizable. The ones you truly
*need* shouldn't be that hard to identify, and I'd rather re-enter
information on a site or two than have spy-critters.
Once you have them under control, you should install a
cookie-management program. There will probably be a few mentioned in the
thread. I like WinPatrol (free version)
<http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrolplus.html>
which also alerts to other potential problems like program installations
and items added to the Start Menu.
--
"Makes the process more transparent."

TRADESMAN

AK wrote:
> Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
> spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I
> don't have a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as
> they will have the name of something I recognise in them, but others
> give no indication of what there used for. Is there any safe way of
> identified and deleting them as I know from experience it can cause
> you a lot of bother if you delete the wrong ones.
>

> ---

If you launch the Ad - Aware knowledge base, it tells you all you want to
know about cookies underFAQs.
It also tells you how to d/l a cookie wall from AnologX.
It's a great little program giving complete cookie conrol and is very simple
to configure. It's also free!

AK

How do I remove the Ad-Aware Signature?
"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r_Bmb.66$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> AK wrote:
>
> > Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
> > spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't
> > have a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will
> > have the name of something I recognise in them, but others give no
> > indication of what there used for. Is there any safe way of identified

and
> > deleting them as I know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother
> > if you delete the wrong ones.
> >

> > ---

> 1. Please lose the AVG signature. It is broken (it should be only two

dashes
> and a space, rather than three dashes), and it is utterly meaningless when
> posting text messages in a text-only NEWSgroup.
>
> 2. The "good" cookies are the ones which a site uses to identify you on
> return visits. If you enter a username and password and ask the site to
> "remember me," that sets a cookie. There are also "session only" cookies
> used by sites which have shopping carts, etc., as a way of keeping track

of
> you during a visit. But those cookies should expire as soon as you close
> your browser and not stick around in your cookie file.
>
> I use Mozilla as my browser, and I have it inform me of every time a site
> wants to set a cookie. You can generally tell pretty easily when to let a
> cookie be set and when not to. (Examples of when not to: the cookie

expires
> in ten years, or it has your email address in it.)
>
> Don't wait until a cookie has been set and then go through and clean them
> out afterward. Catch them as they are offered. Mozilla is not the only
> browser that will do this.
>
> --
> Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
> gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
> "The two most abundant things in the universe
> are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

---

Sherlock

Its a good idea to delete all your cookies once a week or so. Lots of
cookies contain viruses lately.

"AK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MMBmb.531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
> spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't

have
> a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will have the
> name of something I recognise in them, but others give no indication of

what
> there used for. Is there any safe way of identified and deleting them as I
> know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother if you delete the
> wrong ones.
>

> ---

trout

AK wrote:

> How do I remove the Ad-Aware Signature?

That's the *AVG* signature. Open the Control Center, click on the
"E-mail Scanner" tab, and uncheck "Certify outgoing messages"
--
"Much 'cleaner' posts."

Shepİ

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:21:06 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
wrote :

>Why is my Email address 'Alex Kaye' showing here in this post, even though
>I Munged it? I think that how it's pronounced?

I don't use OE but munge it in two places in the news section IIRC.

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:21:52 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "AK" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote :
>>
>> >Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
>> >spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't

>have
>> >a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will have

>the
>> >name of something I recognise in them, but others give no indication of

>what
>> >there used for. Is there any safe way of identified and deleting them as

>> >know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother if you delete the
>> >wrong ones.

>> All cookies are temp files and can be cleared.Any page requiring them
>> will place them back.You should clean out ALL your Temporary Internet
>> Folders on a regular basis and also your Temp folders.
>> For win95/98 you can use the free,"Clearbat" for this,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
>> Or use,"Spider" for all O/S,
>> http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/fr...408539,00.html
>>
>> HTH
>>

>---

AK

Why is my Email address 'Alex Kaye' showing here in this post, even though
I Munged it? I think that how it's pronounced?

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:21:52 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "AK" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote :
>
> >Each time I come off the internet I have to run Ad-Aware because of
> >spyware. I have must have a hundred cookies or more on file and I don't

have
> >a clue what there all for? Some are easy to identify as they will have

the
> >name of something I recognise in them, but others give no indication of

what
> >there used for. Is there any safe way of identified and deleting them as

> >know from experience it can cause you a lot of bother if you delete the
> >wrong ones.

> All cookies are temp files and can be cleared.Any page requiring them
> will place them back.You should clean out ALL your Temporary Internet
> Folders on a regular basis and also your Temp folders.
> For win95/98 you can use the free,"Clearbat" for this,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
> Or use,"Spider" for all O/S,
> http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/fr...408539,00.html
>
> HTH