Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for good backup power supply (UPS)

Looking for good backup power supply (UPS)

Daniel

Can anyone recommend a good uninteruptable power supply? I need one that
can handle about 2000W (yes, about 2KW) & really only needs to last through
short power flickers or brown-outs. I'm tired of losing all 3 systems every
time there is a slight power flicker (doesn't happen that often, but about
once a month). All systems reboot due to power loss when this occures.
I've estimated I'm not pulling more than a max 2KW at any time (two 350W
power supplies, one 250W power supply, 21" 19" & 15" monitors, cable modem,
router, hub, speakers, printer & scanner). I'm trying to not spend much if
possible (so one of those 15 minute backup batteries would be enough).

Meat-Plow

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:11:10 -0500, Daniel wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good uninteruptable power supply? I need one that
> can handle about 2000W (yes, about 2KW) & really only needs to last through
> short power flickers or brown-outs. I'm tired of losing all 3 systems every
> time there is a slight power flicker (doesn't happen that often, but about
> once a month). All systems reboot due to power loss when this occures.
> I've estimated I'm not pulling more than a max 2KW at any time (two 350W
> power supplies, one 250W power supply, 21" 19" & 15" monitors, cable modem,
> router, hub, speakers, printer & scanner). I'm trying to not spend much if
> possible (so one of those 15 minute backup batteries would be enough).

APC Matrix series.

Daniel

"Meat-Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:11:10 -0500, Daniel wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a good uninteruptable power supply? I need one

that
> > can handle about 2000W (yes, about 2KW) & really only needs to last

through
> > short power flickers or brown-outs. I'm tired of losing all 3 systems

every
> > time there is a slight power flicker (doesn't happen that often, but

about
> > once a month). All systems reboot due to power loss when this occures.
> > I've estimated I'm not pulling more than a max 2KW at any time (two 350W
> > power supplies, one 250W power supply, 21" 19" & 15" monitors, cable

modem,
> > router, hub, speakers, printer & scanner). I'm trying to not spend much

if
> > possible (so one of those 15 minute backup batteries would be enough).

> APC Matrix series.

Do you know who sells them or for the lower cost (best price, not willing to
risk buying from a bad company...for example ever looked up consumer reporst
on almost all of the top ranked lowest price listings on PriceWatch.com?
Nearly every time they suck as a business & are more of a rip off company.
But if a company has a good reputation & low price, then I'll buy from
them.)

Rick Merrill

Daniel wrote:

> "Meat-Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:11:10 -0500, Daniel wrote:
>>

>>>Can anyone recommend a good uninteruptable power supply? I need one

> that
>
>>>can handle about 2000W (yes, about 2KW) & really only needs to last

> through
>
>>>short power flickers or brown-outs. I'm tired of losing all 3 systems

> every
>
>>>time there is a slight power flicker (doesn't happen that often, but

> about
>
>>>once a month). All systems reboot due to power loss when this occures.
>>>I've estimated I'm not pulling more than a max 2KW at any time (two 350W
>>>power supplies, one 250W power supply, 21" 19" & 15" monitors, cable

> modem,
>
>>>router, hub, speakers, printer & scanner). I'm trying to not spend much

> if
>
>>>possible (so one of those 15 minute backup batteries would be enough).

>>APC Matrix series.

> Do you know who sells them or for the lower cost (best price, not willing to
> risk buying from a bad company...for example ever looked up consumer reporst
> on almost all of the top ranked lowest price listings on PriceWatch.com?
> Nearly every time they suck as a business & are more of a rip off company.
> But if a company has a good reputation & low price, then I'll buy from
> them.)

Try EBAY:

(not mine)

pcbutts1

Try http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSecti...tion_Id=201476

"Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend a good uninteruptable power supply? I need one that
> can handle about 2000W (yes, about 2KW) & really only needs to last

through
> short power flickers or brown-outs. I'm tired of losing all 3 systems

every
> time there is a slight power flicker (doesn't happen that often, but about
> once a month). All systems reboot due to power loss when this occures.
> I've estimated I'm not pulling more than a max 2KW at any time (two 350W
> power supplies, one 250W power supply, 21" 19" & 15" monitors, cable

modem,
> router, hub, speakers, printer & scanner). I'm trying to not spend much

if
> possible (so one of those 15 minute backup batteries would be enough).

Sultan

Daniel wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Meat-Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:11:10 -0500, Daniel wrote:
>>
>> > Can anyone recommend a good uninteruptable power supply? I need
>> > one

> that
>> > can handle about 2000W (yes, about 2KW) & really only needs to last

> through
>> > short power flickers or brown-outs. I'm tired of losing all 3
>> > systems

> every
>> > time there is a slight power flicker (doesn't happen that often,
>> > but

> about
>> > once a month). All systems reboot due to power loss when this
>> > occures. I've estimated I'm not pulling more than a max 2KW at any
>> > time (two 350W power supplies, one 250W power supply, 21" 19" & 15"
>> > monitors, cable

> modem,
>> > router, hub, speakers, printer & scanner). I'm trying to not spend
>> > much

> if
>> > possible (so one of those 15 minute backup batteries would be
>> > enough).

>> APC Matrix series.

> Do you know who sells them or for the lower cost (best price, not
> willing to risk buying from a bad company...for example ever looked up
> consumer reporst on almost all of the top ranked lowest price listings
> on PriceWatch.com? Nearly every time they suck as a business & are
> more of a rip off company. But if a company has a good reputation &
> low price, then I'll buy from them.)

Check out http://www.cdw.com they are not always the lowest price but you
will never have to worry about getting ripped off.

Sultan

Gary G. Taylor

"Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote:

> Do you know who sells them or for the lower cost (best price, not willing
> to risk buying from a bad company...for example ever looked up consumer
> reporst on almost all of the top ranked lowest price listings on
> PriceWatch.com? Nearly every time they suck as a business & are more of a
> rip off company. But if a company has a good reputation & low price, then
> I'll buy from them.)

McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com

EVERYTHING in the way of industrial equipment and supplies. You can
literally build a factory from the ground up using their catalog. Fast
service, good prices. HIGHLY recommended.

You have to be a bit of a geek I suppose, but just browsing through their
site is a lot of fun.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Daniel

"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JaBmb.61$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote:
>
> > Do you know who sells them or for the lower cost (best price, not

willing
> > to risk buying from a bad company...for example ever looked up consumer
> > reporst on almost all of the top ranked lowest price listings on
> > PriceWatch.com? Nearly every time they suck as a business & are more of

> > rip off company. But if a company has a good reputation & low price,

then
> > I'll buy from them.)

> McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com

You're not the only one saying this about them.

> EVERYTHING in the way of industrial equipment and supplies. You can
> literally build a factory from the ground up using their catalog. Fast
> service, good prices. HIGHLY recommended.
>
> You have to be a bit of a geek I suppose, but just browsing through their
> site is a lot of fun.
> --
> Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
> gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
> "The two most abundant things in the universe
> are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

Daniel

On page 755 they list their UPSs. However they mention Volt-Amps & Watts as
different measurements. I always thought V * A = W, so if that is true then
why / how are they different numbers?

Also I'm needing this for 2 computers (350W power supply each, though I
doubt they're actually using that much), + 19 & 21" monitors, cable modem &
router. I know I'm not using more than 15 amps (thats all the breaker I'm
on can handle).

"Gary G. Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JaBmb.61$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Daniel" <daniel_h_wATyyahooDOTccom> wrote:
>
> > Do you know who sells them or for the lower cost (best price, not

willing
> > to risk buying from a bad company...for example ever looked up consumer
> > reporst on almost all of the top ranked lowest price listings on
> > PriceWatch.com? Nearly every time they suck as a business & are more of

> > rip off company. But if a company has a good reputation & low price,

then
> > I'll buy from them.)

> McMaster-Carr: http://www.mcmaster.com
>
> EVERYTHING in the way of industrial equipment and supplies. You can
> literally build a factory from the ground up using their catalog. Fast
> service, good prices. HIGHLY recommended.
>
> You have to be a bit of a geek I suppose, but just browsing through their
> site is a lot of fun.
> --
> Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
> gary at donavan dot org / http:// geetee dot donavan dot org
> "The two most abundant things in the universe
> are hydrogen and stupidity." --Harlan Ellison

nemo

Daniel,

For a purely resistive load, the power dissipated, in watts, is simply
volts rms times amps rms (watts == volt-amps).

If the load contains inductors (eg most motors or transformers), or
capacitors, the current either lags behind or leads the voltage.
Voltage and current are out of phase. When the voltage reaches its
peak the current is not at its peak. If the difference in time
between voltage peak and current peak is given as an angle, theta (one
complete cycle = 360 degrees), then the power is volts rms times amps
rms times cosine(theta). Volt-amps is greater than watts.

When the alternating current supply is rectified to obtain the direct
current needed by most electronics, the current waveform may be far
from sinusoidal, for example "square-wave"-like or a series of
impulses. Here the power must be determined by calculating the product
of the instantaneous voltage and current, and integrating the product
over a full cycle. Watts will generally not be equal to volts times
amps.

So, in sizing a UPS, make sure that the total load requires fewer
watts, AND fewer volt-amps than the rating of the UPS.

Regards

nemo