Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > G5-166 turns off after POST - Help please

G5-166 turns off after POST - Help please

Tiny Tim

My girlfriend's PC has started playing up. It's a Gateway G5-166 so pretty
old - 7-8 years perhaps. It basically works but frequently when booting up
the machine will get well into the POST, certainly after the memory check is
complete, and then suddenly the whole machine just turns itself off. This
happened today, probably 10 times in a row.

I tried again and pressed F1 to go into BIOS setup, changed nothing and then
exited, saving (non-existent) changes. It then continued to boot perfectly.
A couple of hours later I needed to use the machine again and powered it up.
Same thing - failed to boot, retied with F1, save and then it booted fine.

Does this imply a failed motherboard battery or something else? I'm not a
hardware techy although I have added more memory to take it from 32MB to
256MB but I'm not sure about doing other mods. The problem does not seem
related to the memory upgrade, as that was performed a couple of years ago
and the boot problem has only been occurring in the last couple of months.
If it is the battery, how easy is it to fix?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

--
Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

°Mike°

Check that all of the fans are operating correctly; clean out
the inside of the box with a can of compressed air; check for
overheating; check for bad RAM.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:23:43 +0100, in
<bne1de$10ivns$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Tiny Tim scrawled:

>My girlfriend's PC has started playing up. It's a Gateway G5-166 so pretty
>old - 7-8 years perhaps. It basically works but frequently when booting up
>the machine will get well into the POST, certainly after the memory check is
>complete, and then suddenly the whole machine just turns itself off. This
>happened today, probably 10 times in a row.
>
>I tried again and pressed F1 to go into BIOS setup, changed nothing and then
>exited, saving (non-existent) changes. It then continued to boot perfectly.
>A couple of hours later I needed to use the machine again and powered it up.
>Same thing - failed to boot, retied with F1, save and then it booted fine.
>
>Does this imply a failed motherboard battery or something else? I'm not a
>hardware techy although I have added more memory to take it from 32MB to
>256MB but I'm not sure about doing other mods. The problem does not seem
>related to the memory upgrade, as that was performed a couple of years ago
>and the boot problem has only been occurring in the last couple of months.
>If it is the battery, how easy is it to fix?
>
>Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

--
Basic computer maintenance

PC Gladiator

I'd replace the battery first (as well as a good cleaning). Usually a piece
of cake to do.

"Tiny Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bne1de$10ivns$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> My girlfriend's PC has started playing up. It's a Gateway G5-166 so pretty
> old - 7-8 years perhaps. It basically works but frequently when booting up
> the machine will get well into the POST, certainly after the memory check

is
> complete, and then suddenly the whole machine just turns itself off. This
> happened today, probably 10 times in a row.
>
> I tried again and pressed F1 to go into BIOS setup, changed nothing and

then
> exited, saving (non-existent) changes. It then continued to boot

perfectly.
> A couple of hours later I needed to use the machine again and powered it

up.
> Same thing - failed to boot, retied with F1, save and then it booted fine.
>
> Does this imply a failed motherboard battery or something else? I'm not a
> hardware techy although I have added more memory to take it from 32MB to
> 256MB but I'm not sure about doing other mods. The problem does not seem
> related to the memory upgrade, as that was performed a couple of years ago
> and the boot problem has only been occurring in the last couple of months.
> If it is the battery, how easy is it to fix?
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.
>
> --
> Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
> For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

Ben Myers

Definitely replace the motherboard's C2032 3v coin-sized Lithium battery. It
should cost no more than $2 or $3.

Next on my suspect list is the power supply. After a good cleanout of all the
dust bunnies, of course... Ben Myers

Coolpix 3100 turns off after splash screen squelch41@hotmail.com Digital Photography 11 04-01-2007 05:20 AM
Mozilla turns off by itself FD Firefox 1 05-14-2005 06:51 AM
TV turns OFF after 3-seconds. ZMA Computer Support 3 04-29-2005 08:06 AM
firefox turns off dialup promicro Firefox 1 12-15-2004 10:04 PM
computer turns itself off JAMFREAK Computer Support 2 09-02-2003 02:22 AM

Advertisments