Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > html & front page (2000)

html & front page (2000)

ant1_d@hotmail.com

I have a word text which I saved as a web page. It saved the pics and
grahics in a separate folder.
When I go into Front page, the folder is simply not there. I have
tried:
- saving direct into front page
- dragging into front page
- creating a new folder and cut and paste

Then I though it might be ok, so I published the web page, but of
course insteas of pictures and graphics i got blank boxex with the
little red cross!

What went wrong?
Regards

Antoined

why?

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:15:32 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have a word text which I saved as a web page. It saved the pics and

Do you mean a Word DOC(or file) that you used MS Word Save As HTML or
did you view the file in your browser MSIE and use Save As / Web page
Complete.

>grahics in a separate folder.

Normal for IE. Word makes a worse job of it.

You get a filename.htm and a folder filename_files in IE.

>When I go into Front page, the folder is simply not there. I have
>tried:

When you browsed to the save location did you try F5 i.e. View /
Refresh.

So what directory is FP looking at, it varies a bit IIRC with different
versions of Windows -

Desktop\My Documents\My Webs , which for Win 2000 is
c:\Documents and Settings\<username>My Documents\My Webs

If you have the webserver IIS installed the FP files may well be in
c:\Inetpub\wwwroot

Simply search for the saved page name?

>- saving direct into front page
>- dragging into front page
>- creating a new folder and cut and paste

Create an image directory in FP, and copy a few of the images into the
directory then edit the webpage in FP to change the image locations to
the new folder.

You should have something like this

filename.htm
images/graphic1.gif
images/graphic2.gif

After correcting the links to the images, it will publish correctly.

Since you said you did publish the page, how about the URL it would be a
lot easier to try and see what actually happened.

>Then I though it might be ok, so I published the web page, but of
>course insteas of pictures and graphics i got blank boxex with the

You have to look at the HTML are the picture links something like

src="..\MSN%20Search%20regex%20parse%20ip%20--%20More%20Useful%20Everyday_files\msn2.gif"

That's a link to a file location on your PC, the wrong way to do it, or
do you get

src="images/msn2.gif"

>little red cross!

Right click on one of the crosses and select Properties, check the image
path.

>What went wrong?

Who knows, it's usually fairly simple.

Me

Jerry G.

This gets a bit complex. I will only be able to explain this in a simple
manner over an email.

If you look very close in the HTM or HTML view (tabs at the bottom), you can
click to see the source code of your work. In there you will see in the
HTML language format where the call for the graphic location is. You have
to manually edit it to be of the proper call to where the graphic would be
located. In the case of your site, you will have to put in the proper
information to match where the graphics will be on the site.

If you have everything in the same directory (folder), then you can have no
location parameters specified. The default will be the same location. An
example of this in a non designated format it would be [
src="pixspace.gif" width="114" height="113" ] do not use the square
brackets. I put them in to show the text. In yours, you will see that
there is a fair amount of code to show the location of the file to be shown.
If the file is not in the exact matched place it will not show. When
uploaded on to your site, the proper designation will be important.
--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com