Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Chkdsk Automate???

Chkdsk Automate???

WeeWilly

Can chkdsk be set to run automatically EVERY time the computer is started?

Boomer

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Can chkdsk be set to run automatically EVERY time the computer is
> started?

Hi

I threw Chkdsk Automate Googles way and got this right off.

http://eguardiancomputers.com/chkdsk.htm
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,111653,00.asp

See:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&q=Chkdsk+Automate&btnG=Google+Search

Or click: http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2FA12456

DH

Being as it's CHKDSK you're wanting to run, I assume it's Windows 98 or
earlier. To run CHKDSK everytime you start your computer, simply create an
Autoexec.bat in your root directory and add CHKDSK as a command line in the
file. The Autoexec.bat will be executed everytime you start your computer.

news:3f99fe53$0$174$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> "WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Can chkdsk be set to run automatically EVERY time the computer is
> > started?

> Hi
>
> I threw Chkdsk Automate Googles way and got this right off.
>
> http://eguardiancomputers.com/chkdsk.htm
> http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,111653,00.asp
>
> See:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
> 8&q=Chkdsk+Automate&btnG=Google+Search
>
> Or click: http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2FA12456

Boomer

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Being as it's CHKDSK you're wanting to run,

I'm not wanting to run it. WeeWilly asked the question.

> I assume it's Windows
> 98 or earlier. To run CHKDSK everytime you start your computer,
> simply create an Autoexec.bat in your root directory and add
> CHKDSK as a command line in the file. The Autoexec.bat will be
> executed everytime you start your computer.
>

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > Can chkdsk be set to run automatically EVERY time the computer
>> > is started?

>> Hi
>>
>> I threw Chkdsk Automate Googles way and got this right off.
>>
>> http://eguardiancomputers.com/chkdsk.htm
>> http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,111653,00.asp
>>
>> See:
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
>> 8&q=Chkdsk+Automate&btnG=Google+Search
>>
>> Or click: http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2FA12456

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Being as it's CHKDSK you're wanting to run, I assume it's Windows 98 or
> earlier. To run CHKDSK everytime you start your computer, simply create an
> Autoexec.bat in your root directory and add CHKDSK as a command line in

the
> file. The Autoexec.bat will be executed everytime you start your computer.

Could also be an NT class OS (WinNT, Win2K, WinXP), since they don't
have SCANDISK but use CHKDSK instead.

In which case, AUTOEXEC.BAT isn't used to start the computer up. No
satisfy there ...

Besides, running CHKDSK on a Win9X class OS, automatically? Is just
BEGGING for a massive disk failure, since CHKDSK on Win9X doesn't understand
long file names at all.

RwP

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as DH continued:

> Being as it's CHKDSK you're wanting to run, I assume it's Windows 98
> or earlier.

Better get my 2kpro repaired then, because it's there too.
--
slumpy
no more

WeeWilly

I should have said XP in the beginning. I didn't when I first started
asking questions here.. because most who replied assumed XP.. when actually
I was on 98. I have since migrated to XPPro and am trying to get up to
speed with it..

So, the question remains.. altho I'll check out Boomers two URL's

thanks, Bill

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bndpv5$vokc9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> threw back my head and roared with laughter as DH continued:
>
> > Being as it's CHKDSK you're wanting to run, I assume it's Windows 98
> > or earlier.

> Better get my 2kpro repaired then, because it's there too.
> --
> slumpy
> no more
> no less
> just slumpy

WeeWilly

> http://eguardiancomputers.com/chkdsk.htm
> http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,111653,00.asp

Boomer..you mentioned the article here in pcworld. I started this without
reading the whole article carefully.

Opened notepad and typed in "chkdsk c:/f" as instructed....
However, being the dummy that I am... it doesn't say what to do with it.. or
if it does.. I overlooked it a couple of times. Seems in DOS days I'd put
it in the autoexec.bat file.. but now? Where do I save this file?

Bill

Ralph Mann

WeeWilly said:

>> http://eguardiancomputers.com/chkdsk.htm
>> http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,111653,00.asp

> Boomer..you mentioned the article here in pcworld. I started this without
> reading the whole article carefully.
>
> Opened notepad and typed in "chkdsk c:/f" as instructed....
> However, being the dummy that I am... it doesn't say what to do with it.. or
> if it does.. I overlooked it a couple of times. Seems in DOS days I'd put
> it in the autoexec.bat file.. but now? Where do I save this file?
>
> Bill

Try typing it at a command prompt.