Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Strange Banner Problem

Strange Banner Problem

mike

Hey Guys ...

This is a problem I have been having for quite sometime now,
and nobody to this day has been able to figure ouy why.

Please read the entire post.

Not long ago, I decided to access my website - and, I noticed
most of my banners that I have placed on my website were not
displaying! Sometimes - in place of the banner would be a
blue i with the words ... "The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."
Other times, there will be just a missing banner image and a
small box with a red x.

Also, while going to other sites around the web, I notice
missing banners with the blue i and the words ...
"The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."

This just started happening. I reboot - but that didn't help. I
cleared out my entire cache - history - cookies - everything!
Reboot - no help. This is evident in all the latest versions of
IE and Netscape. But here's the weird thing ... I also have
AOL - and when I access my website using the AOL browser -
all banners display fine. Just not in the Regular IE or Netscape.

Also, it seems to be happening to just me - in-other-words, just
on my end.

This happened to me 4-6 months ago - and because I was
due for a reformat anyway - I reformatted - and the banner
problem was gone. But the banner missing problem has
resurfaced once again.

Same thing ... no banners anywhere - and missing banner
images. I have had tons of people give me tips and ideas
to fix this problem - but as of yet - nothing has worked.

Any ideas? Help?

Thanks in Advance - for ANY help you can give me on this
subject!

And then at Band Camp .....

Paris

DH

What is your encryption level? Many sites require 128-bit encryption. Start
IE browser, click on HELP on the menu bar. Then click "About Internet
Explorer". There should be a scroll window with information about your
encryption level, among other things, and I think there's even a link to an
update.

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Guys ...
>
> This is a problem I have been having for quite sometime now,
> and nobody to this day has been able to figure ouy why.
>
> Please read the entire post.
>
> Not long ago, I decided to access my website - and, I noticed
> most of my banners that I have placed on my website were not
> displaying! Sometimes - in place of the banner would be a
> blue i with the words ... "The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."
> Other times, there will be just a missing banner image and a
> small box with a red x.
>
> Also, while going to other sites around the web, I notice
> missing banners with the blue i and the words ...
> "The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."
>
> This just started happening. I reboot - but that didn't help. I
> cleared out my entire cache - history - cookies - everything!
> Reboot - no help. This is evident in all the latest versions of
> IE and Netscape. But here's the weird thing ... I also have
> AOL - and when I access my website using the AOL browser -
> all banners display fine. Just not in the Regular IE or Netscape.
>
> Also, it seems to be happening to just me - in-other-words, just
> on my end.
>
> This happened to me 4-6 months ago - and because I was
> due for a reformat anyway - I reformatted - and the banner
> problem was gone. But the banner missing problem has
> resurfaced once again.
>
> Same thing ... no banners anywhere - and missing banner
> images. I have had tons of people give me tips and ideas
> to fix this problem - but as of yet - nothing has worked.
>
> Any ideas? Help?
>
> Thanks in Advance - for ANY help you can give me on this
> subject!
>
> And then at Band Camp .....
>
> Paris

Vulpine

to the best of my knowledge the encryption level is only for secure sites
encryption?
try checking your hosts file for any odd entries, a default hosts only has a
127.0.0.1 localhost entry
find files>>search hidden/system files>>hosts and open it with notepad
do you have any ad blocking software? norton IS has ad blocking that might
be effecting it? but my guess is with the hosts file

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Guys ...
>
> This is a problem I have been having for quite sometime now,
> and nobody to this day has been able to figure ouy why.
>
> Please read the entire post.
>
> Not long ago, I decided to access my website - and, I noticed
> most of my banners that I have placed on my website were not
> displaying! Sometimes - in place of the banner would be a
> blue i with the words ... "The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."
> Other times, there will be just a missing banner image and a
> small box with a red x.
>
> Also, while going to other sites around the web, I notice
> missing banners with the blue i and the words ...
> "The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."
>
> This just started happening. I reboot - but that didn't help. I
> cleared out my entire cache - history - cookies - everything!
> Reboot - no help. This is evident in all the latest versions of
> IE and Netscape. But here's the weird thing ... I also have
> AOL - and when I access my website using the AOL browser -
> all banners display fine. Just not in the Regular IE or Netscape.
>
> Also, it seems to be happening to just me - in-other-words, just
> on my end.
>
> This happened to me 4-6 months ago - and because I was
> due for a reformat anyway - I reformatted - and the banner
> problem was gone. But the banner missing problem has
> resurfaced once again.
>
> Same thing ... no banners anywhere - and missing banner
> images. I have had tons of people give me tips and ideas
> to fix this problem - but as of yet - nothing has worked.
>
> Any ideas? Help?
>
> Thanks in Advance - for ANY help you can give me on this
> subject!
>
> And then at Band Camp .....
>
> Paris

Richard

mike wrote:

> Hey Guys ...

> This is a problem I have been having for quite sometime now,
> and nobody to this day has been able to figure ouy why.

> Please read the entire post.

> Not long ago, I decided to access my website - and, I noticed
> most of my banners that I have placed on my website were not
> displaying! Sometimes - in place of the banner would be a
> blue i with the words ... "The Page Cannot be Displayed ..."
> Other times, there will be just a missing banner image and a
> small box with a red x.

You may have turned off "animation". Many banners use animated banners and
if this is turned off, you get nothing.
If other images are showing fine, this is probably the cause.
Go into tools/internet options. Click the advanced tab and scroll down to
multimedia.
Check "play animations".
If that is checked, then you may need to change your zone settings.

°Mike°

That is a classic sign that advertising banner addresses
have been blocked in your hosts file. Check out your
hosts file, and trim it down if it is causing problems.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:15:47 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
mike scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

filthybill filthybill is offline
Junior Member

I am having the same problem. Most banners, Particularly on MSN sites, show up as Page cannot be displayed. I checked that "Play animations" was checked in the advanced tab of my internet options. Outside of that... What the heck is a hosts file? Can anyone help? I'm at a loss.

- Filthy

CSS problem with dynamic banner sevillad@gmail.com HTML 6 07-24-2006 02:55 PM
Problem with banner Decadre HTML 5 02-27-2006 10:51 PM
AAA login banner and Cisco VPN client problem lombardi Cisco 3 12-20-2003 01:44 AM
MOD/Banner on Catalyst 3548 twi2ted_pair Cisco 6 10-28-2003 10:06 AM
Strange banner appearing Tim Computer Support 9 08-12-2003 07:07 AM

Advertisments