Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Secondary IDE

Secondary IDE

Sheffix

Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks

Harrison

Use the ME restore feature and go back to a previous configuration.
Use scanreg to restore the registry to a previous configuration.
Remove the errant controller and let windows redetect it.
Right-click and choose properties, then update driver...let windows
search for...

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:02:47 +0100, "Sheffix"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
>recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
>BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks

Sheffix

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Use the ME restore feature and go back to a previous configuration.
> Use scanreg to restore the registry to a previous configuration.
> Remove the errant controller and let windows redetect it.
> Right-click and choose properties, then update driver...let windows
> search for...
>
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:02:47 +0100, "Sheffix"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
> >recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
> >BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks

I've tried all those things. The driver re-install gets rid until I boot up
again and amkes no difference to the non recognition of the CDRW. I did
scanreg, used restore then as a lst resort took the PC back to factory
settings - didn't work. I've removed the controllers which were then
detected, reinstalled complete with yellow exclamation mark and no CDRW.

Harrison

It's sounding more like a hardware problem then.
Try it in the other channel if possible, or better yet in another
computer.
If it fails there, it's probably the drive.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:14:54 +0100, "Sheffix"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> Use the ME restore feature and go back to a previous configuration.
>> Use scanreg to restore the registry to a previous configuration.
>> Remove the errant controller and let windows redetect it.
>> Right-click and choose properties, then update driver...let windows
>> search for...
>>
>> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:02:47 +0100, "Sheffix"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
>> >recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
>> >BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks
>> >

>I've tried all those things. The driver re-install gets rid until I boot up
>again and amkes no difference to the non recognition of the CDRW. I did
>scanreg, used restore then as a lst resort took the PC back to factory
>settings - didn't work. I've removed the controllers which were then
>detected, reinstalled complete with yellow exclamation mark and no CDRW.

Sheffix

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's sounding more like a hardware problem then.
> Try it in the other channel if possible, or better yet in another
> computer.
> If it fails there, it's probably the drive.

I did get a glimmer of hope when I switched the CDRW into the slot in which
is occupied by the DVD Rom/Hard Disk combination. In safe mode a CDRW did
appear in the device manager. The trouble is I cannot get the PC to start in
normal widows then. It just stalls at a point prior to loading. The set up
is Hard Disk master, DVD slave on one channel, CDRW as master on its own on
the other. Presumably the PC boots up in a particular order which is
affectyed when I switch them around. Is there anything else I should do once
I've switched channels so the PC will boot up normally?

mark mandel

"Sheffix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnbbjq$9vs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
> recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
> BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks

Make sure the cable connections are tight and update the drivers.

Mark Mandell

Harrison

The hard disk should stay as the primary master, but you should be
able swap the DVD and the CD-RW around. You will of course have to
change the jumpers on the DVD from slave to master and on the CD-RW
from master to slave.
Will it boot this way?

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:24:27 +0100, "Sheffix"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> It's sounding more like a hardware problem then.
>> Try it in the other channel if possible, or better yet in another
>> computer.
>> If it fails there, it's probably the drive.
>>

> I did get a glimmer of hope when I switched the CDRW into the slot in which
>is occupied by the DVD Rom/Hard Disk combination. In safe mode a CDRW did
>appear in the device manager. The trouble is I cannot get the PC to start in
>normal widows then. It just stalls at a point prior to loading. The set up
>is Hard Disk master, DVD slave on one channel, CDRW as master on its own on
>the other. Presumably the PC boots up in a particular order which is
>affectyed when I switch them around. Is there anything else I should do once
>I've switched channels so the PC will boot up normally?

mark mandel

"Sheffix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnbcsd$e8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It's sounding more like a hardware problem then.
> > Try it in the other channel if possible, or better yet in another
> > computer.
> > If it fails there, it's probably the drive.
> >

> I did get a glimmer of hope when I switched the CDRW into the slot in

which
> is occupied by the DVD Rom/Hard Disk combination. In safe mode a CDRW did
> appear in the device manager. The trouble is I cannot get the PC to start

in
> normal widows then. It just stalls at a point prior to loading. The set up
> is Hard Disk master, DVD slave on one channel, CDRW as master on its own

on
> the other. Presumably the PC boots up in a particular order which is
> affectyed when I switch them around. Is there anything else I should do

once
> I've switched channels so the PC will boot up normally?

After reading just read the other replies, I would add(to what I said before
about updating the drivers from the manufacturer's website)that you should
have both the DVD and CDRW connected to the same controller. In my setup,
for instance, the CDRW is set for master and the DVD player is set for slave
and it's run perfectly from day one.

Mark

dr_hardware

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KPamb.199$(E-Mail Removed) .net...

[snip]

> After reading just read the other replies, I would add(to what I said

before
> about updating the drivers from the manufacturer's website)that you should
> have both the DVD and CDRW connected to the same controller. In my setup,
> for instance, the CDRW is set for master and the DVD player is set for

slave
> and it's run perfectly from day one.
>
> Mark

Good advice.

Sheffix

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0Kamb.197$(E-Mail Removed) .net...

> "Sheffix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bnbbjq$9vs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Secondary IDE dual fifo has a yellow exclamation mark, code 10, CDRW not
> > recognised in Device Manager and is inaccessible (It does appear in the
> > BIOS). Operate with Win ME. Can anyone help? Thanks
> >

> Make sure the cable connections are tight and update the drivers.
>
> Mark Mandell

Thanks for the advice, I'll go away and try it and let you know whether it
works.