Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IP messaging

IP messaging

Chris H

I keep getting annoying ip messages with the header "messenger
service", i installed NIS and still keep getting these messages.
Anyone know how i could get rid of these ? I had no problems before on
my other pc until it crashed , now i am getting spammed! arrghhh

°Mike°

<Canned response>

You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
firewall.

To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
open the Services panel by typing...

services.msc /s

....into the Start / Run box.
In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
Right click and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Stop' button.
From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
'Apply / Ok'.

More information:

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
Advertisement Appears

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

Firewalls:
------------
Outpost

Sygate
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:36:45 +0100, in
<bn9742$r49vt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Chris H scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Harrison

Disable Windows Messenger Service:
This IS NOT the same as MSN Messenger and it will not affect your
ability to chat with friends.
____________________
Click Start > Run and type "services.msc" (no quotes) click OK

In the right pane, scroll down to Messenger.

Double click Messenger and click the General tab.

Under Service Status: click the Stop button.

In the Startup Type: drop down box, select Disable.

Click Apply and OK.
___________________

Download, install, update, and run the following programs:
Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

The first two find and root out spyware, adware, hijackers, and
dialers.
The second one will protect your system from further infection by such
diseases.
____________________

Install the Google Toolbar to block browser pop-ups:
http://toolbar.google.com/

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:36:45 +0100, "Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I keep getting annoying ip messages with the header "messenger
>service", i installed NIS and still keep getting these messages.
>Anyone know how i could get rid of these ? I had no problems before on
>my other pc until it crashed , now i am getting spammed! arrghhh

Chris H

thanks a lot guys .

"Chris H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn9742$r49vt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
| I keep getting annoying ip messages with the header "messenger
| service", i installed NIS and still keep getting these messages.
| Anyone know how i could get rid of these ? I had no problems before
on
| my other pc until it crashed , now i am getting spammed! arrghhh

Plato

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop5.htm#3

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/