Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to identify network cables simply.....

How to identify network cables simply.....

Blobby J Blobdom

Right....

Heres my problem -

We have approx 30+ network sockets scattered around the office.

These are all wired up to arrive in our server room as one huge bundle
of cables and then patched into our hub/switch.

Unfortunately, the muppet who wired this up for us used one of those
naff 'Dymo' tape machines to label the cables up, and due to the heat
of the cab, they've all peeled and dropped off.

So now Ive no idea which cable is which, weve got a dead socket and I
need to do a bit of track and trace.

And heres my question -

Does anyone have a quick and easy, tried and trusted, CHEAP way of
identifying each cable run WITHOUT having to buy a very expensive box
of tricks??

Cheers

James

Stevo

Blobby J Blobdom wrote:
> Right....
>
> Heres my problem -
>
> We have approx 30+ network sockets scattered around the office.
>
> These are all wired up to arrive in our server room as one huge bundle
> of cables and then patched into our hub/switch.
>
> Unfortunately, the muppet who wired this up for us used one of those
> naff 'Dymo' tape machines to label the cables up, and due to the heat
> of the cab, they've all peeled and dropped off.
>
> So now Ive no idea which cable is which, weve got a dead socket and I
> need to do a bit of track and trace.
>
> And heres my question -
>
> Does anyone have a quick and easy, tried and trusted, CHEAP way of
> identifying each cable run WITHOUT having to buy a very expensive box
> of tricks??
>
> Cheers
>
> James

A cable tracer will be quickest - less than US$100.. guess it depends what
your time is worth..

http://www.bkprecision.com/www/np_se...6+Cable+Tracer

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Harrison

Two men with walkie talkies (cheap only if you already have the walkie
talkies). One watches the switch while the other goes around and pulls
cables out. Make notes as you go.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:14:34 +0100, Blobby J Blobdom <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Right....
>
>Heres my problem -
>
>We have approx 30+ network sockets scattered around the office.
>
>These are all wired up to arrive in our server room as one huge bundle
>of cables and then patched into our hub/switch.
>
>Unfortunately, the muppet who wired this up for us used one of those
>naff 'Dymo' tape machines to label the cables up, and due to the heat
>of the cab, they've all peeled and dropped off.
>
>So now Ive no idea which cable is which, weve got a dead socket and I
>need to do a bit of track and trace.
>
>And heres my question -
>
>Does anyone have a quick and easy, tried and trusted, CHEAP way of
>identifying each cable run WITHOUT having to buy a very expensive box
>of tricks??
>
>Cheers
>
>James

why?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:14:34 +0100, Blobby J Blobdom wrote:

>Right....
>
>Heres my problem -
>
>We have approx 30+ network sockets scattered around the office.
>
>These are all wired up to arrive in our server room as one huge bundle
>of cables and then patched into our hub/switch.

<snip>

>And heres my question -
>
>Does anyone have a quick and easy, tried and trusted, CHEAP way of
>identifying each cable run WITHOUT having to buy a very expensive box
>of tricks??

1. 2 people each with access to a phone / walkie talkie.
2. http://www.blackbox.co.uk/ have a tester kit that has LED modules and
a powered unit. Somply plug in the row of LEDs in the patch panel and
the other person moved the power unit from socket to socket.

The site URLs are quite long and have a session ID so I can't paste one
here.

However you can use the site search for

Part -

TS181A DataLite Power Unit
TS180AƐ5PAK DataLite Modular adaptor Lights (5-Pack)

Then there is the tone/buzzer unit. Simply plug the tone generator into
a unknown socket and move the wand across the cables in the patch panel.

Again URL above, select search and enter text search for

tone generator

You get 3 answers.

Veri-Net Testers
DataLite
Tone Generator & Probe

Me

Plato

Harrison wrote:

> Two men with walkie talkies (cheap only if you already have the walkie

hehe, good investment. Saves tons of time.

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

Plato wrote:
> Harrison wrote:
>
>>Two men with walkie talkies (cheap only if you already have the walkie

> hehe, good investment. Saves tons of time.

FWIW.... Most wholesale clubs will have the Family Radio Service (FRS)
handy-talkies in a dual pack with rechargable batts and charging base
for under $50.

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

stickngo stickngo is offline
Junior Member

The simple answer to cable identification and management is Stick’nGo® Cable Labels from stickngo.com.au

These smart, innovative labels identify all your computer peripheral, home office, home entertainment and portable device cables and power cords, and are easy to attach to cables & carry straps in seconds. You can even record your name & contact details (such as your phone number & email address) on the back of each Stick’nGo® Cable Label, assisting in the return of portable devices if you lose them, or leave them behind when travelling. There are 48 Stick’nGo® Cable Labels in every Pack, including blank labels for your USB & A.V cables. The labels are manufactured in Australia from a quality hi-tech material and are waterproof and durable. They are available in 4 stylish colours, so each family member can easily identify their own cables. Further product information and handy tips are available on the website: stickngo.com.au