Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > win98 stall

win98 stall

dave

what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
advise please... thanks

Harrison

It could be any one of a lot of things.
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q188/8/67.asp

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:27:18 GMT, "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
>flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
>advise please... thanks

Boomer

dave, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the
> windows flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats
> it...help or advise please... thanks

Any error messages? When did this start happening? Download
anything recently? Is your anti-virus up to date and have you ran it
lately?

Computer Guy

Hello,
Usually a driver problem or a program was not uninstalled properly which
leaves residue in the registry, or,
possibly the Win.ini or System.ini. Reboot and hold down F8. Go to a
selective startup and see what it
is attempting to load. If it a file that is still in the registry, and the
system cannot find it, this is a classic symptom,
Or, you could get out of the dark ages and buy a machine with Windows 2000
Pro on it. NOT an upgrade,
do a fresh install. I hate to sound so brutal except I am certainly not
going to lie to you. After all Microsoft
quit supporting Windows 98/SE many moons ago.
DennisC

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GMIlb.6168$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
> flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
> advise please... thanks

Harrison

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:53:02 -0700, "Computer Guy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>Usually a driver problem or a program was not uninstalled properly which
>leaves residue in the registry, or,
>possibly the Win.ini or System.ini. Reboot and hold down F8. Go to a
>selective startup and see what it
>is attempting to load. If it a file that is still in the registry, and the
>system cannot find it, this is a classic symptom,
>Or, you could get out of the dark ages and buy a machine with Windows 2000
>Pro on it. NOT an upgrade,

Or, you could get completely out of the dark ages and get Windows XP
Pro.

>do a fresh install. I hate to sound so brutal except I am certainly not
>going to lie to you. After all Microsoft
>quit supporting Windows 98/SE many moons ago.
>DennisC
>
>"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:GMIlb.6168$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...
>> what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
>> flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
>> advise please... thanks

Shepİ

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:27:18 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote :

>what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
>flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
>advise please... thanks

If a problem is less than 5 days old in win98 then restart the system
pressing the F8 key and choose Command prompt only Dos or restart in
Msdos mode and type scanreg/restore and try an older reg(cab
file)backup,however you may have to re-install some programs and user
changes if they were installed after this date.

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

Computer Guy

Hello,
Just thought of something else. Lets take the Logo Screen Out so we can see
what goes
on "behind the scenes".
Double click My Computer, Open tools | options and select show all file
types including hidden files.
Do a file and folder search for msdos.sys
You hay have two. Right click and remove read only and hidden attributes for
both files.
Go to a DOS prompt and type edit msdos.sys
Go down near the end of the fie, such as the version number and insert a
line:
Logo=0
Save the file, exit the Dos prompt and restart the computer. I will not show
the Logo Screen.
You will see all the drivers, config.sys and aoutoexec.bat execute. This may
give you a clue
as the error is coming from. The computer will also boot faster.

Try a selective start up next. If this does not show an error, as a last
resort boot to a DOS
Prompt and type scnreg /?, this will show you the options available. Type
scanreg /restore and
pick a day when the computer was working. You will be working with a
registry that is 1-5 days
old. The upside of doing this is the computer boots successfully and you can
figure out what you
changed recently, the downside is any documents written or amended and
sent/receive e-mail
will not be there.
Good Luck and let me know how it goes.....
DennisC

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GMIlb.6168$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
> flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
> advise please... thanks

Plato

dave wrote:

> what would cause win 98 se to boot then freeze on the windows
> flag picture,it will go into safe mode and thats it...help or
> advise please... thanks

bad chip in the keyboard perhaps?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/