Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with AVI codec

Help with AVI codec

King O'Diamonds

I have several *.avi files where the sound is normal but the video
stays on the first frame - no motion. Windows Media Player is unable
to find a codec. Does anyone know how I can debug this and/or find a
codec or decompressor? Thanks!

Terry Blomberg

My first question is what hardware are you running and is it possible that
the hardware is not keeping up with the software. Secondly if you have a
DVD player most include the codec in the software.

"King O'Diamonds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have several *.avi files where the sound is normal but the video
> stays on the first frame - no motion. Windows Media Player is unable
> to find a codec. Does anyone know how I can debug this and/or find a
> codec or decompressor? Thanks!

Harrison

Get a copy of Gspot and use it to determine the proper codec for the
file.

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 01:14:56 GMT, King O'Diamonds
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have several *.avi files where the sound is normal but the video
>stays on the first frame - no motion. Windows Media Player is unable
>to find a codec. Does anyone know how I can debug this and/or find a
>codec or decompressor? Thanks!

Richard

King O'Diamonds wrote:

> I have several *.avi files where the sound is normal but the video
> stays on the first frame - no motion. Windows Media Player is unable
> to find a codec. Does anyone know how I can debug this and/or find a
> codec or decompressor? Thanks!

try upgrading to version 9. This version is geared to playing the newer
codecs. including dvds.

www.virtualdub.com download the latest version. you should at least see it
with VD.
if not, it will tell you which codec you need.