Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't access any admin. functions in XP

Can't access any admin. functions in XP

Linda Barr

Shep,
I wasn't having problems with any of those areas so I left them alone.
However, I "did" notice an XP section listed that may have other options. Do
you have a link for it?
Linda

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:49:53 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Linda Barr"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
> >Nah, wasn't a virus either. Thanks anyway, tho, to all who gave

suggestions.
> >I looked at the settings on my other computer and found them to be set up
> >exactly the same way as this one, but on that one I AM able to access

admin.
> >functions just fine. So I just don't get it.
> >Linda

> did none of these help re-enable options?
> http://www.dougknox.com/security/index.htm
>

> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:48:16 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Linda Barr"

> >> It may be a remnant of the Swen worm,
> >> http://www.dougknox.com/security/index.htm
> >> http://www.bullguard.com/antivirus/vit_swen_a.aspx
> >> HTH

denied

occurs
> >in

> >admin.,

> >before).

but
> >I'm
> >> >> >

> >> --
> >> Free Windows/PC help,
> >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> >> It's a G not a J in gmx for email
> >> Free songs download,
> >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> It's a G not a J in gmx for email
> Free songs download,
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Linda Barr

Shep,
You'll really have to excuse me for being this stupid--I've been sick all
week, it's late for me, and apparently I have no brain function left
whatsoever--forget the link. I've already accessed the site and will take it
from there. Will let you know if it helps.

> Shep,
> I wasn't having problems with any of those areas so I left them alone.
> However, I "did" notice an XP section listed that may have other options.

Do
> you have a link for it?
> Linda
>
> "Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:49:53 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Linda Barr"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
> >
> > >Nah, wasn't a virus either. Thanks anyway, tho, to all who gave

> suggestions.
> > >I looked at the settings on my other computer and found them to be set

up
> > >exactly the same way as this one, but on that one I AM able to access

> admin.
> > >functions just fine. So I just don't get it.
> > >Linda

> > did none of these help re-enable options?
> > http://www.dougknox.com/security/index.htm
> >

> > >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> denied

> occurs
> > >in
> > >admin.,
> > >before).

> but
> > >I'm

> > --
> > Free Windows/PC help,
> > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> > It's a G not a J in gmx for email
> > Free songs download,
> > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Linda Barr

Shep,
The only two entries that might have helped this problem were already given
to me by Boomer. I used them but neither fixed it. However, there was one
fix for another problem I'm having, so I still thank you very much.
Linda

?

> > denied

> > occurs

the

back,
> > but

> > > --
> > > Free Windows/PC help,
> > > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> > > It's a G not a J in gmx for email
> > > Free songs download,
> > > http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Shepİ

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:48:31 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Shep,
>The only two entries that might have helped this problem were already given
>to me by Boomer. I used them but neither fixed it. However, there was one
>fix for another problem I'm having, so I still thank you very much.
>Linda

These may help,
http://tinyurl.com/s3ou

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

Linda Barr

You know, Shep--I'm really getting frustrated with this problem. Everything
"seems" to be set okay: I'm the administrator, full control is set up on
my user acct. for every file I'm trying to access, there are no password
conflicts, I have no viruses, and the second pc I have networked to this one
allows me to access anything I want. I can do anything I want (as usual)
except to access the admin. tools and disk defragment. I've tried every
hint/tweak you have sent me and any others I could find, but I'm still shut
out. I went through a whole slew of messages on the one you sent (Google)
and tried a bunch of others. According to everything pertinent in there, all
my settings are correct also. Do you think the Microsoft site people
could/would help out any? My warranty expired a few months ago, so Gateway
is out.
Linda
"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:48:31 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Linda Barr"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
> >Shep,
> >The only two entries that might have helped this problem were already

given
> >to me by Boomer. I used them but neither fixed it. However, there was one
> >fix for another problem I'm having, so I still thank you very much.
> >Linda

> These may help,
> http://tinyurl.com/s3ou
>

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> It's a G not a J in gmx for email
> Free songs download,
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Shepİ

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:58:41 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>You know, Shep--I'm really getting frustrated with this problem. Everything
>"seems" to be set okay: I'm the administrator, full control is set up on
>my user acct. for every file I'm trying to access, there are no password
>conflicts, I have no viruses, and the second pc I have networked to this one
>allows me to access anything I want. I can do anything I want (as usual)
>except to access the admin. tools and disk defragment. I've tried every
>hint/tweak you have sent me and any others I could find, but I'm still shut
>out. I went through a whole slew of messages on the one you sent (Google)
>and tried a bunch of others. According to everything pertinent in there, all
>my settings are correct also. Do you think the Microsoft site people
>could/would help out any? My warranty expired a few months ago, so Gateway
>is out.
>Linda

It's annoying me now as well<grin>.
What about a repair,
Might cure it

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:48:31 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Linda Barr"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>> >Shep,
>> >The only two entries that might have helped this problem were already

>given
>> >to me by Boomer. I used them but neither fixed it. However, there was one
>> >fix for another problem I'm having, so I still thank you very much.
>> >Linda

>> These may help,
>> http://tinyurl.com/s3ou
>>

>> --
>> Free Windows/PC help,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
>> It's a G not a J in gmx for email
>> Free songs download,
>> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Free songs download,

Linda Barr

Okay, I give up. Nothing there either. However, the other fixes I found and
used (the OE fix because I had to keep entering my password, and a download
that let me see the security tabs w/out having to go into safe mode) didn't
do so well. "They" seemed to work great, but then I started getting a weird
error message that "A device attached to the system is not functioning." I
haven't installed anything, so went to investigate. That's when I found I
was locked out of my device manager, too. I went back to the site (Doug's),
looked at the fix and download and read a warning stating that "adjusting
permissions can lock even the admin. out." Anyway, I said to hell with it
and restored back to yesterday's settings. But evidently it didn't matter,
because here I still sit with no admin. tools, no device manager, no disk
defrag. I even thought about reinstalling XP, but won't that mean losing all
my security patches and stuff?
Linda

"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:58:41 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Linda Barr"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>
> >You know, Shep--I'm really getting frustrated with this problem.

Everything
> >"seems" to be set okay: I'm the administrator, full control is set up

on
> >my user acct. for every file I'm trying to access, there are no password
> >conflicts, I have no viruses, and the second pc I have networked to this

one
> >allows me to access anything I want. I can do anything I want (as usual)
> >except to access the admin. tools and disk defragment. I've tried every
> >hint/tweak you have sent me and any others I could find, but I'm still

shut
> >out. I went through a whole slew of messages on the one you sent (Google)
> >and tried a bunch of others. According to everything pertinent in there,

all
> >my settings are correct also. Do you think the Microsoft site people
> >could/would help out any? My warranty expired a few months ago, so

Gateway
> >is out.
> >Linda

> It's annoying me now as well<grin>.
> What about a repair,
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
> Might cure it
>

> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:48:31 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
> >> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Linda Barr"

> >given

one

> >> These may help,
> >> http://tinyurl.com/s3ou
> >>

> >> --
> >> Free Windows/PC help,
> >> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
> >> It's a G not a J in gmx for email
> >> Free songs download,
> >> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> It's a G not a J in gmx for email
> Free songs download,
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Shepİ

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:36:56 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Okay, I give up. Nothing there either. However, the other fixes I found and
>used (the OE fix because I had to keep entering my password, and a download
>that let me see the security tabs w/out having to go into safe mode) didn't
>do so well. "They" seemed to work great, but then I started getting a weird
>error message that "A device attached to the system is not functioning." I
>haven't installed anything, so went to investigate. That's when I found I
>was locked out of my device manager, too. I went back to the site (Doug's),
>looked at the fix and download and read a warning stating that "adjusting
>permissions can lock even the admin. out." Anyway, I said to hell with it
>and restored back to yesterday's settings. But evidently it didn't matter,
>because here I still sit with no admin. tools, no device manager, no disk
>defrag. I even thought about reinstalling XP, but won't that mean losing all
>my security patches and stuff?
>Linda

AFAIK not if you take the repair option or have you tried that?
email is valid

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:58:41 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>> invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Linda Barr"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>> >You know, Shep--I'm really getting frustrated with this problem.

>Everything
>> >"seems" to be set okay: I'm the administrator, full control is set up

>on
>> >my user acct. for every file I'm trying to access, there are no password
>> >conflicts, I have no viruses, and the second pc I have networked to this

>one
>> >allows me to access anything I want. I can do anything I want (as usual)
>> >except to access the admin. tools and disk defragment. I've tried every
>> >hint/tweak you have sent me and any others I could find, but I'm still

>shut
>> >out. I went through a whole slew of messages on the one you sent (Google)
>> >and tried a bunch of others. According to everything pertinent in there,

>all
>> >my settings are correct also. Do you think the Microsoft site people
>> >could/would help out any? My warranty expired a few months ago, so

>Gateway
>> >is out.
>> >Linda

>> It's annoying me now as well<grin>.
>> What about a repair,
>> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
>> Might cure it
>>

>> >"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> >given

>one

>> --
>> Free Windows/PC help,
>> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
>> It's a G not a J in gmx for email
>> Free songs download,
>> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Free songs download,

Linda Barr

Not yet, but think I will now. Sure can't hurt... Will let ya know.