Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pc running slowly

Pc running slowly

Andrew Mott

Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual to
set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton anti
virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the c
drive.
Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be appreciated.
Regards
andy

°Mike°

Remove Norton bloatware and install a leaner alternatives.

eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

KAV (Kaspersky)
http://www.kaspersky.com/

Outpost
Outpost Firewall Guide
http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm

Basic computer maintenance

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:01:18 +0100, in
<igglb.160$(E-Mail Removed)>
Andrew Mott scrawled:

--
STGP, OGPE24HSHD

Orion

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:01:18 +0100, "Andrew Mott"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual to
>set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton anti
>virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
>Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the c
>drive.
>Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be appreciated.
>Regards
>andy

i'm having a similar problem, actually. next time you notice the
slow-down, could you check your Task Manager's Processes tab and see
what's sucking up all the run-time? for me, for some reason, it's
explorer.exe and smc.exe.

Buffalo

"Orion" > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:01:18 +0100, "Andrew Mott"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual

> >set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton

anti
> >virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
> >Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the

> >drive.
> >Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be

appreciated.
> >Regards
> >andy

> i'm having a similar problem, actually. next time you notice the
> slow-down, could you check your Task Manager's Processes tab and see
> what's sucking up all the run-time? for me, for some reason, it's
> explorer.exe and smc.exe.

W32/Gaobot.worm.ai trys to prevent smc.exe from running.
http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=100725

Perhaps you should try an online scan.

Buffalo

"Andrew Mott" <> wrote in message
news:igglb.160$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual

> set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton

anti
> virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
> Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the c
> drive.
> Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be appreciated.
> Regards
> andy

Search for spyware:
These are free programs:
Dl,install,update and run:

AdAware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://security.kolla.de/

Harrison

Andrew,
Try clearing the prefetch folder. Over time, it can become bloated
with a bunch of crap you hardly ever use.
C:\Windows\Prefetch or C:\Winnt\Prefetch

It's a system folder, so make sure it's viewable.
Tools / Folder Options / View /

Scan for spyware which may be slowing the system down.
Use Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy

Disable Windows Services which are not used. Go here for a
walk-through of each service.
http://www.xptweaks.org/services.html

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual to
>set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton anti
>virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
>Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the c
>drive.
>Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be appreciated.
>Regards
>andy

Orion

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:59:26 GMT, "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada>
wrote:

>> i'm having a similar problem, actually. next time you notice the
>> slow-down, could you check your Task Manager's Processes tab and see
>> what's sucking up all the run-time? for me, for some reason, it's
>> explorer.exe and smc.exe.

>W32/Gaobot.worm.ai trys to prevent smc.exe from running.
>http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=100725
>
>Perhaps you should try an online scan.

i don't know what, exactly, you mean by an 'online scan' but the
problem is that smc.exe is running too much, not that something is
preventing it from running. unless i've misunderstood you, i don't see
how this helps.

Buffalo

"Orion" <> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:59:26 GMT, "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@noBS.nada>
> wrote:
>
> >> i'm having a similar problem, actually. next time you notice the
> >> slow-down, could you check your Task Manager's Processes tab and see
> >> what's sucking up all the run-time? for me, for some reason, it's
> >> explorer.exe and smc.exe.

> >W32/Gaobot.worm.ai trys to prevent smc.exe from running.
> >http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/defau...virus_k=100725
> >
> >Perhaps you should try an online scan.

> i don't know what, exactly, you mean by an 'online scan' but the
> problem is that smc.exe is running too much, not that something is
> preventing it from running. unless i've misunderstood you, i don't see
> how this helps.

I was just thinking that it was getting 'tied up'.
Probably way off.
I believe smc.exe is from using Seagate.
Free virus scans that can be found online:
Online Antivirus scanners:
--------------------------
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

Tergiversative

Andrew Mott wrote:
> Ive noticed that on starting up windows xp it is taking longer than usual to
> set up the desktop and longer to respond to basic commands.I run Norton anti
> virus & firewall-No virus detected. Ive run a windows system check using
> Norton utilities-No probs. Cleared all temp files and have optimised the c
> drive.
> Any other ideas on what i could do to improve things would be appreciated.
> Regards
> andy

Assuming you ran NAV on ALL files AFTER updating to the latest definitions ...
on some systems, XP's SP1 causes massive slowdowns. If you recently installed
that update -- esp. if you have certain Dell systems -- that could alone be the
problem.

lee

Assuming that you don`t surf the porn late at night and assuming that
you don`t click on Links like <free big tits right here> Like I do
then you can try a few things like a little maintenance.
Get rid of the Norton utils or disable it from loading during bootup
Its a right system Hogger - but that's upto you anyway

Uninstall any crap prior to the problem. Schedule a full File integrity
check on the
next boot to check for crossed links or damaged files. Check your virtual
memory.
You didn`t give Nuff details like your System spec, Memory etc.