Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > removing AOL

removing AOL

ron

Hi I just had a phone call from a computer illiterate relative to go and
remove AOL. This is the only info I have. Will I have any problems? and
what is the best way short of formating and re installing windows me?

Thanks Ron

Ralph Mann

ron said:

> Hi I just had a phone call from a computer illiterate relative to go and
> remove AOL. This is the only info I have. Will I have any problems? and
> what is the best way short of formating and re installing windows me?
>

> Thanks Ron

Format and *don't* re-install WinME

The Herbaholic

start>settings>control panel>add/remove programs remove the AOL entry,
sorted.
"ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn3iif$sf3fl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi I just had a phone call from a computer illiterate relative to go and
> remove AOL. This is the only info I have. Will I have any problems? and
> what is the best way short of formating and re installing windows me?
>

> Thanks Ron

ron

"Ralph Mann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ggclb.247$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ron said:
>
> > Hi I just had a phone call from a computer illiterate relative to go and
> > remove AOL. This is the only info I have. Will I have any problems? and
> > what is the best way short of formating and re installing windows me?
> >

> > Thanks Ron

> Format and *don't* re-install WinME

They don't have a copy of anything else. I suppose I could install my copy
of Windows XP Pro and get her to lie to to Microsoft over the phone
NOTE SMILEY

Ron

Gilbert E. Nelson

I have NEVER been able to completely remove AOL, so I run cleansweep on all
of my systems. At the very least, you'll still have, in Microsoft Internet
Exploder the "fact" that it's been provided byt AOL.

ron wrote:

> Hi I just had a phone call from a computer illiterate relative to go and
> remove AOL. This is the only info I have. Will I have any problems? and
> what is the best way short of formating and re installing windows me?
>
> Thanks Ron

Ralph Mann

ron said:

> "Ralph Mann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ggclb.247$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ron said:
>>
>>> Hi I just had a phone call from a computer illiterate relative to go and
>>> remove AOL. This is the only info I have. Will I have any problems? and
>>> what is the best way short of formating and re installing windows me?
>>>

>>> Thanks Ron

>> Format and *don't* re-install WinME

> They don't have a copy of anything else. I suppose I could install my copy
> of Windows XP Pro and get her to lie to to Microsoft over the phone
> NOTE SMILEY
>
> Ron

Did she upgrade from 98se? She would be much better off going back to 98se than
staying with ME, it (ME) is such an unstable platform.
The other thing would be for her to step up to 2000, and a clean install of that
would be better than upgrading over 98, let alone 98ME.

Harrison

Easily changed
http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q176/4/97.asp

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:45:45 GMT, "Gilbert E. Nelson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have NEVER been able to completely remove AOL, so I run cleansweep on all
>of my systems. At the very least, you'll still have, in Microsoft Internet
>Exploder the "fact" that it's been provided byt AOL.
>
>ron wrote:
>
>> Hi I just had a phone call from a computer illiterate relative to go and
>> remove AOL. This is the only info I have. Will I have any problems? and
>> what is the best way short of formating and re installing windows me?
>>
>> Thanks Ron

Richard

Gilbert E. Nelson wrote:

> I have NEVER been able to completely remove AOL, so I run cleansweep
> on all
> of my systems. At the very least, you'll still have, in Microsoft
> Internet
> Exploder the "fact" that it's been provided byt AOL.

Open the registry and search for "windowtitle" or "WindowTitle".
If you'd like, change the wording to something else and leave the key in
place.

Richard

Ralph Mann wrote:

> ron said:

>> "Ralph Mann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:ggclb.247$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Format and *don't* re-install WinME

>> They don't have a copy of anything else. I suppose I could install my
>> copy
>> of Windows XP Pro and get her to lie to to Microsoft over the phone
>>
>> NOTE SMILEY

>> Ron

> Did she upgrade from 98se? She would be much better off going back to
> 98se than
> staying with ME, it (ME) is such an unstable platform.
> The other thing would be for her to step up to 2000, and a clean
> install of that
> would be better than upgrading over 98, let alone 98ME.

Not if you installed ME with a full standalone version and not an upgrade.
The original upgrade had problems. But I've had ME for 2 years and very few
problems.
No more so than any previous windows OS did.

Plato

ron wrote:

> Hi I just had a phone call from a computer illiterate relative to go and
> remove AOL. This is the only info I have. Will I have any problems? and
> what is the best way short of formating and re installing windows me?

AOL has an uninstall feature.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/