Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Popup Hell!

Popup Hell!

Mike0000

Petit Alexi wrote:

> Harrison <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Disable Windows Messenger Service:

> Do *not* disable the messenger service. At least, read the Microsoft
> advice before you turn this off.
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904>
>
> Quote from MS:
> "Microsoft recommends that you install a firewall
> and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic
> instead of turning off the Messenger service."
>

> Harrison's advice is ill-informed and dangerous.

Hahaha.

"For example, Windows may use it to inform you when a print job is
completed or when you lose power to your computer and switch to a
uninterruptible power supply (UPS)."

Yeah, most home users who don't know what Messenger is or what a
firewall does have a UPS or a printer server running in their
apartments? Take Microsoft's recommendations with a grain of salt,
afterall they run this stuff by default.

Shutting it down is just fine and you'll never notice. You should get a
firewall, but then people have been saying that for years; if you
haven't listened now this probably wont change your mind.

Visit the site in my sig for an easy way to shut down messenger - last
question in faq.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

Petit Alexi

Mike0000 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Petit Alexi wrote:
>
>> Harrison <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>>Disable Windows Messenger Service:

>> Do *not* disable the messenger service. At least, read the Microsoft
>> advice before you turn this off.
>>
>> <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330904>
>>
>> Quote from MS:
>> "Microsoft recommends that you install a firewall
>> and configure it to block NetBIOS and RPC traffic
>> instead of turning off the Messenger service."
>>

>> Harrison's advice is ill-informed and dangerous.

> Hahaha.
>
> "For example, Windows may use it to inform you when a print job is
> completed or when you lose power to your computer and switch to a
> uninterruptible power supply (UPS)."
>
> Yeah, most home users who don't know what Messenger is or what a
> firewall does have a UPS or a printer server running in their
> apartments? Take Microsoft's recommendations with a grain of salt,
> afterall they run this stuff by default.
>
> Shutting it down is just fine and you'll never notice.

> You should get a firewall,

---^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with this bit.

Harrison should at least mention the need for firewalls.

Michael Stough

Thanks much. Ad Aware has fixed the problem. Appreciate everyone's
comments and advice.

>>Mike Stough wrote:
> > For some reason, I'm now plagued by a recurring popup that is titled

"Top
> > Web!". This popup occurs outside my normal browser window, whether I

have a
> > browser window open or not. Does anyone know what's happening and how I

can