Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Localhost / Port Settings

Localhost / Port Settings

Boomer

John, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I run a proxy server on my Win2k Pro system. In the Internet
> Explorer - Internet Options - LAN Settings, I have set Proxy
> Server as Address: localhost Port:1400. This has been working
> for some time now but after surfing several websites, the
> settings are having no effect and the proxy server is being
> bypassed altogether, regardless of how many times I've tried
> resetting. Where can I verify the settings in a file or the
> registry? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Didn't you ask this yesterday?

John

I run a proxy server on my Win2k Pro system. In the Internet Explorer
- Internet Options - LAN Settings, I have set Proxy Server as Address:
localhost Port:1400. This has been working for some time now but
after surfing several websites, the settings are having no effect and
the proxy server is being bypassed altogether, regardless of how many
times I've tried resetting.
Where can I verify the settings in a file or the registry? Any
suggestions greatly appreciated.

Rob

Make it impossible to look at websites through any other port.

--
Rob B
http://www.techhowto.org

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I run a proxy server on my Win2k Pro system. In the Internet Explorer
> - Internet Options - LAN Settings, I have set Proxy Server as Address:
> localhost Port:1400. This has been working for some time now but
> after surfing several websites, the settings are having no effect and
> the proxy server is being bypassed altogether, regardless of how many
> times I've tried resetting.
> Where can I verify the settings in a file or the registry? Any
> suggestions greatly appreciated.

John

Yeah I asked yesterday but got no response - wasnt sure if message had
gotten through on my ISP's end

John, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yeah I asked yesterday but got no response - wasnt sure if
> message had gotten through on my ISP's end

Huh? You didn't know if it got through your ISP but yet you did
notice that there were no replies to it.

If you received no replies there is no reason to repost again so
soon.
Have you asked at a Windows group also?

John, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It seems my seetings have been hi-jacked by an applet from
> www.arongsoft.com from the looks of it

Have you ran some/all of these programs?

Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans, hijackers and
security/privacy issues.
http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spyware Blaster

http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

Info on above and more.

Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

~ Spyware Information ~
http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

--Unsolicited commercial software list and info--
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

--Other software--
http://www.wilders.org/

Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware
[snip]

John

I had other posts that didnt go through until I re-posted - thus I
assumed it didn't go thrugh the first time

wrote:

>John, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Yeah I asked yesterday but got no response - wasnt sure if
>> message had gotten through on my ISP's end

>Huh? You didn't know if it got through your ISP but yet you did
>notice that there were no replies to it.
>
>If you received no replies there is no reason to repost again so
>soon.
>Have you asked at a Windows group also?
>

>> On 20 Oct 2003 21:47:00 GMT, Boomer
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Didn't you ask this yesterday?

John

here's my answer:
locate a file under winnt\system32\helper32.dll
stop this service from running - solved my problem

thx guys/gals