Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linksys Router Hook-up BEFSR41 Problem

Linksys Router Hook-up BEFSR41 Problem

Mara

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:42:54 +1000, Stevo wrote:

>Mara wrote:
><snip>
>>>
>>> Cat 5 etc is a cable standard.. the basic 8 core cable is used to
>>> make up cables of various types.. the common ones are straight
>>> through and crossover..

>> I'm aware it's a standard. However, the crossover I'm looking at
>> right now just says it's a patch cable, and I've got straight-through
>> CAT5s and CAT5es on my personal LAN which actually _say_ they're CAT
>> 5 and 5e. Perhaps that's where I got a bit confused. The LAN is run
>> through the same make/model of router as the OPs.
>>

><snip>
>
>The cable itself, should have CAT 5, (E) etc, printed on it every so often
>along its length..

It does.

>The crossover label is usually an add on external label for easy
>identification.

I don't recall this cable ever having anything on it, but it's been a long time
since I ran a simple two-machine network, too.

>In many cases the colour of the cable sheath itself signifies it usage - red
>is often used for cross over or special application, blue or gray for data,
>yellow for voice and white for special services but this cannot ever be
>assumed without clear evidence of the cable type. The easiest way to
>identify straight through or crossover is to look at the wire colours at the
>clear connector on each end (if the connector isn't moulded over) - side by
>side, in the same orientation. The difference is quite obvious.

Well, it would be if I had my glasses on, maybe. I can't read my screen then,
though. LOL

--
"What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator." -- Anonymous

pcbutts1

Cable does not use PPPOE DSL does.

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > I have the Linksys BEFSR41-CA V.2 Router with built in 4 ports, I had it
> > working with 3 computers with a DSL modem,And it worked great, I have

now
> > switched to cable and am having a problem setting it up again, I am
> > wondering if I sent the wrong cable back with the DSL modem, I have a

red
> > crossover wire left and not sure if it belongs with this or if it should

be
> > a straight through cable,Does anyone know if this is the right cable and

if
> > so what does it connect to. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Lawrence

> Make sure you're using PPPoE in the router for the cable modem. Most
> cable companies use this.

nospam

pcbutts1 wrote:

> Cable does not use PPPOE DSL does.

> "nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Lawrence wrote:
> > >
> > > I have the Linksys BEFSR41-CA V.2 Router with built in 4 ports, I had it
> > > working with 3 computers with a DSL modem,And it worked great, I have

> now
> > > switched to cable and am having a problem setting it up again, I am
> > > wondering if I sent the wrong cable back with the DSL modem, I have a

> red
> > > crossover wire left and not sure if it belongs with this or if it should

> be
> > > a straight through cable,Does anyone know if this is the right cable and

> if
> > > so what does it connect to. Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Lawrence

> > Make sure you're using PPPoE in the router for the cable modem. Most
> > cable companies use this.

OOOPPPSS - My Bad - Too many cocktails today!

Tergiversative

Lawrence wrote:
> I have the Linksys BEFSR41-CA V.2 Router with built in 4 ports, I had it
> working with 3 computers with a DSL modem,And it worked great, I have now
> switched to cable and am having a problem setting it up again, I am
> wondering if I sent the wrong cable back with the DSL modem, I have a red
> crossover wire left and not sure if it belongs with this or if it should be
> a straight through cable,Does anyone know if this is the right cable and if
> so what does it connect to. Thanks in advance.
>
> Lawrence

This router should work JUST FINE if you re-initialize it -- there is a
reset button that you have to hold down for at least 3 seconds -- see
the Linksys site.

For cable, you normally just set it up to get its address from the DHCP
server; for DSL, you might've had a fixed IP address and so you have to
remove that.

You should only be using standard Cat 5 patch cables, not any crossover
cables. Make sure you have the wire running from the cable modem (WAN
port) to the router's WAN port (not one of the LAN/"ethernet" ports).
When you connect that physically, and have the cable connected to the
cable modem, is the WAN light on the router lit?

Use your browser to go to the SEtup page, and set the WAN address to
"Obtain an IP automatically". Click Apply. Then go to the Status tab &
see if it has a WAN IP address and shows the DNS servers and default
gateway.

No use going any further with this until you get that far, and report
back what lights are lit (or not).

-- DE

Lawrence

I went out and got a straight through cable and got rid of the red crossover
one, Everything works fine now,Thanks for everyones help.
news:6hDkb.20368$(E-Mail Removed)...