Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE6 and system freeze up

IE6 and system freeze up

Occamsrazor

Ok I know one of you good people in here have an aswer to this problem cuz I
damn sure don't.
Here's the system: 333pentium w/windows xp pro 256 megs of ram

Problem:
On occasion I'll get on IE and go to my favorites list on top and try to
selct something.The whole system freezes up and I do a cntrl-alt-del it does
nothing for about a minute and then it goes into safe mode telling me to
save whatever info I want and to re-boot. I then get a message saying there
was a hardware failure and windows has recovered from it.Any idea what might
be causing this? Thanks in advance
OR

Shepİ

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:44:14 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Occamsrazor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>Ok I know one of you good people in here have an aswer to this problem cuz I
>damn sure don't.
>Here's the system: 333pentium w/windows xp pro 256 megs of ram
>
>Problem:
>On occasion I'll get on IE and go to my favorites list on top and try to
>selct something.The whole system freezes up and I do a cntrl-alt-del it does
>nothing for about a minute and then it goes into safe mode telling me to
>save whatever info I want and to re-boot. I then get a message saying there
>was a hardware failure and windows has recovered from it.Any idea what might
>be causing this? Thanks in advance
>OR

Clear your Event log viewer and see the XP help on how to use the
Event log and viewer.This may give you a clue the next time it
happens.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email

Occamsrazor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
:
: >Ok I know one of you good people in here have an aswer to this problem
cuz I
: >damn sure don't.
: >Here's the system: 333pentium w/windows xp pro 256 megs of ram
: >
[...]

May I be so bold as to ask where to find the event log folder? I'm not a
newbie or anything but I'm not familiar with the where and how's of
it.Thanks again.

:
:
: --
: Free Windows/PC help,
: http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/trouble.html
: It's a G not a J in gmx for email
: Free songs download,
: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Shepİ

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:02:27 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>"Shepİ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>: On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 17:44:14 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
>: invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Occamsrazor"
>: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>:
>: >Ok I know one of you good people in here have an aswer to this problem
>cuz I
>: >damn sure don't.
>: >Here's the system: 333pentium w/windows xp pro 256 megs of ram
>: >
>: >Problem:
>: >On occasion I'll get on IE and go to my favorites list on top and try to
>: >selct something.The whole system freezes up and I do a cntrl-alt-del it
>does
>: >nothing for about a minute and then it goes into safe mode telling me to
>: >save whatever info I want and to re-boot. I then get a message saying
>there
>: >was a hardware failure and windows has recovered from it.Any idea what
>might
>: >be causing this? Thanks in advance
>: >OR
>: >
>:
>: Clear your Event log viewer and see the XP help on how to use the
>: Event log and viewer.This may give you a clue the next time it
>: happens.
>: HTH
>:
>
>May I be so bold as to ask where to find the event log folder? I'm not a
>newbie or anything but I'm not familiar with the where and how's of
>it.Thanks again.

Control Panel/Adminitrive Tools.
Also,

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/

Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email
Free songs download,

mark mandel

"Occamsrazor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:O3Akb.110799$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Ok I know one of you good people in here have an aswer to this problem cuz

> damn sure don't.
> Here's the system: 333pentium w/windows xp pro 256 megs of ram
>
> Problem:
> On occasion I'll get on IE and go to my favorites list on top and try to
> selct something.The whole system freezes up and I do a cntrl-alt-del it

does
> nothing for about a minute and then it goes into safe mode telling me to
> save whatever info I want and to re-boot. I then get a message saying

there
> was a hardware failure and windows has recovered from it.Any idea what

might
> be causing this? Thanks in advance
> OR

My first thought is an overheated CPU all the moreso cuz it says "hardware
failure". If you can, access the BIOS and check the CPU's temperature.
Anything above 60 centigrade is NOT good.

Mark Mandell

Occamsrazor

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4lBkb.3555$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
:
[...]

That could be it because my cooling fan has been noisy as of late and I had
replaced it once before.The noise is intermittant.