Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What if people don't like msg?

What if people don't like msg?

Pat Pending

Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone does
not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an email with a
virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool. C)Try not to offend
anyone and always water down whatever you have to say. E) Always change your
name and title every few weeks. I am afraid to say my mind. I don't care if
someone disagrees with me, I have an open mind, but when they try to damage
my hardware with virus software I draw the line. I must stick out like a
sore thumb because of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get it
dented up. I am tired call me tired.

pcbutts1

You get a spine and tell them to go F*ck themselves, this is a free country.

"Pat Pending" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sxmkb.43$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone does
> not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an email with

> virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool. C)Try not to offend
> anyone and always water down whatever you have to say. E) Always change

your
> name and title every few weeks. I am afraid to say my mind. I don't care

if
> someone disagrees with me, I have an open mind, but when they try to

damage
> my hardware with virus software I draw the line. I must stick out like a
> sore thumb because of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get

it
> dented up. I am tired call me tired.

Ionizer

"Pat Pending" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sxmkb.43$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone does
> not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an email with

> virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool. C)Try not to offend
> anyone and always water down whatever you have to say. E) Always change

your
> name and title every few weeks. I am afraid to say my mind. I don't care

if
> someone disagrees with me, I have an open mind, but when they try to

damage
> my hardware with virus software I draw the line. I must stick out like a
> sore thumb because of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get

it
> dented up. I am tired call me tired.

I think your concerns may be misplaced. Viruses often send themselves out
to all the Contacts in the email program of an infected machine without the
knowledge of that person. Many of us have been receiving numerous fake
Microsoft patch emails lately with viruses attached for instance, but it's
not as if someone is deliberately targeting us for something we might have
said in a newsgroup.

One thing you might want to consider though, is "munging" the email address
in your headers when posting to newsgroups, in order to cut down on the
amount of spam you'll receive otherwise:
http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html Another alternative is to use
a "disposable" email address in your headers as I do (Hotmail.)

In any case, keep your antivirus software up to date, your firewall up and
your system patched with regular visits to Windows Update, don't open
attachments without scrutinizing them, etc., and you'll probably be fine.
No need to change your name.

Regards,
Ian.

Tergiversative

Pat Pending wrote:
> Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone does
> not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an email with a
> virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool. C)Try not to offend
> anyone and always water down whatever you have to say. E) Always change your
> name and title every few weeks. I am afraid to say my mind. I don't care if
> someone disagrees with me, I have an open mind, but when they try to damage
> my hardware with virus software I draw the line. I must stick out like a
> sore thumb because of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get it
> dented up. I am tired call me tired.

On Usenet, as long as you refrain from the illegal (harassing/stalking,
death threats, etc.) and are within the terms of service of your ISP &
providers, you can say pretty much whatever you want.

The virus that you think someone is sending you is called SWEN; it is
one of the worst virus infections the world has ever seen. One thing
about Swen is that it picks up the addresses people have used on
NEWSGROUPS instead of just from the address books of email programs;
this is a new twist and, combined with the slick HTML message, makes it
far more effective at spreading than the SoBig variants that preceded it.

Get a good anti-virus program, don't open email attachments (no matter
how "cool" looking or who sends them to you), and remember that MS NEVER
sends out patches via email. If you need someone to send you an
attachment, have them change the extension so it doesn't automatically
open (i.e. use FILENAME.EX1 instead of FILENAME.EXE) and then change the
extension when you save the file.

But don't be paranoid about speaking your mind on Usenet; just keep in
mind that everyone else also has that same right.

And start paying attention to the news stories; Swen is no secret,
having shut down the mail servers of a number of large corporations,
some US government agencies, and many universities ... all due to people
too stupid to not have learned, even NOW, to NOT OPEN EMAIL ATTACHMENTS
NO MATTER HOW "AUTHENTIC" THEY LOOK.

FWIW, since I have a lot of newsgroup posts "out there", I've still been
getting these, another 1200 of them in the last week alone!
(Fortunately, I don't use my primary work email address in my newsgroup
posts.)

-- DE

Paul - xxx

Pat Pending tried to scribble ...

> Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone
> does not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an
> email with a virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool.
> C)Try not to offend anyone and always water down whatever you have to
> say. E) Always change your name and title every few weeks. I am
> afraid to say my mind. I don't care if someone disagrees with me, I
> have an open mind, but when they try to damage my hardware with virus
> software I draw the line. I must stick out like a sore thumb because
> of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get it dented up. I
> am tired call me tired.

On the whole 'people' aren't sending you viruses. The current crop of virii
are such that they send emails, replicating themselves, to all the people in
an infected users address book. The user has no clue what's happening in
many cases, and certainly isn't doing it deliberately. There are so many
people with a virus infection out there that you may appear to get a flood
of emails every time you go on a newsgroup ..

OTOH, you may just be an obnoxious dork who everyone simply sends a virus
too 'cos they immediately dislike you ..

Search for a decent Anti-Virus program, etrust is good, a decent firewall,
Zone Alarm is good, and a decent mail checker, Mailwasher is good. Also
look up munging the email address you post to newsgroups with.

Also, get over the paranoia, and if anyone annoys you on Usenet (Newsgroups)
tell them so, and why, but be constructive.

--
Digweed
'79 Beamish RL 250, '85 Swift Corvette,

Jim PKP

Pat Pending had this to say on 19/10/2003 03:16:

> Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone does
> not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an email with a
> virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool. C)Try not to offend
> anyone and always water down whatever you have to say. E) Always change your
> name and title every few weeks. I am afraid to say my mind.

Just ignore them.
What's D)??

--
Jim PKP

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Pat Pending continued:

> Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone
> does not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an
> email with a virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool.
> C)Try not to offend anyone and always water down whatever you have to
> say. E) Always change your name and title every few weeks. I am
> afraid to say my mind. I don't care if someone disagrees with me, I
> have an open mind, but when they try to damage my hardware with virus
> software I draw the line. I must stick out like a sore thumb because
> of honesty. My computer is a vehicle I try not to get it dented up. I
> am tired call me tired.

You missed out :

D) Tell them if they don't like your opinions then **** off and die.
--
slumpy
no more

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as Jim PKP continued:

> Pat Pending had this to say on 19/10/2003 03:16:
>
>> Dear help desk, What if you contribute to a newsgroup and someone
>> does not like what you have to say? Suppose they were to send you an
>> email with a virus on it. A) stop writing. B)Go to the wading pool.
>> C)Try not to offend anyone and always water down whatever you have
>> to say. E) Always change your name and title every few weeks. I am
>> afraid to say my mind.

> Just ignore them.
> What's D)??

Fourth letter in the alphabet.
--
slumpy
no more

Jim PKP

slumpy had this to say on 19/10/2003 18:59:

>>Just ignore them.
>>What's D)??

> Fourth letter in the alphabet.

boom booom

--
Jim PKP

Thund3rstruck

slumpy Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
in <bmujc5$rh0m2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>:

> You missed out :
>
> D) Tell them if they don't like your opinions then **** off and die.

I prefer option "D". <G>

NOI