Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Fire walls and networking

Fire walls and networking

ron

Hi I have Zone Alarm and Sygate firewall as well as Windows XP's own fire
wall. If I have either the Sygate or Zone Alarm firewall running I cannot
access the internet over my network from another computer. Yet if I turn
them off and rely on Windows firewall I can access my network. So I went to
Sygate's test page and started running the tests using both Sygate's and
Window's firewall and to my surprise on the first 2 tests there was no
difference in the results. So why does everyone say that the Windows
firewall is not any good.

I did of course not have more than 1 firewall running at the same time. And
I did test with the firewalls turned off as well as on.

So if I keep my virus software up to date I cannot see any advantage to
using another firewall other than Window's own firewall. In fact there are
disadvantages. i.e. my network does not work if I use Zone Alarm or Sygate.

Or am I missing something somewhere?

Opinions welcome Ronald

slumpy

threw back my head and roared with laughter as ron continued:

> Hi I have Zone Alarm and Sygate firewall as well as Windows XP's own
> fire wall.

One at a time, FFS !!!!

Three help files too !!!!
--
slumpy
no more

ron

> > Hi I have Zone Alarm and Sygate firewall as well as Windows XP's own
> > fire wall.

> One at a time, FFS !!!!
>
> Three help files too !!!!

I am evaluating them before I get my blueyonder cable broadband. I will just
use 1 when I find out what is the most suitable.

Ronald

°Mike°

The Windows firewall does not block OUTGOING traffic,
that is the difference. Any malware that manages to
get on your computer is free to communicate with the
outside world, even if traffic back in is blocked.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 16:08:01 +0100, in
<bmrl0k$q6psl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
ron scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Gitano

°Mike° came up with this: news:(E-Mail Removed):

> The Windows firewall does not block OUTGOING traffic,
> that is the difference.

This is not true. In XP PRO (not HOME) you can construct a firewall in
which you can control both incoming and outgoing traffic. Read this:
http://homepages.wmich.edu/~mchugha/w2kfirewall.htm

--
"Life is a bitch, and finally you end up marrying one..."

°Mike°

On 18 Oct 2003 18:20:59 GMT,
in message <Xns9418CE560F119nono@195.121.6.84>,
Gitano <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

>°Mike° came up with this: news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> The Windows firewall does not block OUTGOING traffic,
>> that is the difference.

>This is not true. In XP PRO (not HOME) you can construct a firewall in
>which you can control both incoming and outgoing traffic. Read this:
>http://homepages.wmich.edu/~mchugha/w2kfirewall.htm

There are two key issues here: "XP Pro" and "CONSTRUCT".
I'll stick to my statement.

--
Basic Computer Maintenance

Gitano

°Mike° came up with this: news:(E-Mail Removed):

> There are two key issues here: "XP Pro" and "CONSTRUCT".
> I'll stick to my statement.

Your statement was that the XP firewall was not capable in prohibiting
outbound traffic. Well, it is.

--
"Life is a bitch, and finally you end up marrying one..."

°Mike°

On 18 Oct 2003 21:30:59 GMT,
in message <Xns9418EEDA82CACnono@195.121.6.83>,
Gitano <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

>°Mike° came up with this: news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> There are two key issues here: "XP Pro" and "CONSTRUCT".
>> I'll stick to my statement.
>>

>Your statement was that the XP firewall was not capable in prohibiting
>outbound traffic. Well, it is.

No, the "XP PRO" firewall is capable of being CONSTRUCTED - not
something most people would relish.

--
Basic Computer Maintenance

Gitano

°Mike° came up with this: news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 18 Oct 2003 21:30:59 GMT,
> in message <Xns9418EEDA82CACnono@195.121.6.83>,
> Gitano <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:
>
>>°Mike° came up with this: news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>> There are two key issues here: "XP Pro" and "CONSTRUCT".
>>> I'll stick to my statement.
>>>

>>Your statement was that the XP firewall was not capable in prohibiting
>>outbound traffic. Well, it is.

> No, the "XP PRO" firewall is capable of being CONSTRUCTED - not
> something most people would relish.

I agree with that. But, it IS possible to block outbound traffic in the XP
firewall! With all respect, you replied to the OP :

The Windows firewall does not block OUTGOING traffic

and IMHO this is not correct, you can configure XP's firewall to block any
outgoing traffic to suit your configuration.
Not for the fainthearted, though....

--
"Life is a bitch, and finally you end up marrying one..."

°Mike°

On 18 Oct 2003 22:06:41 GMT,
in message <Xns9419C4019D5nono@195.121.6.83>,
Gitano <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:

>°Mike° came up with this: news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On 18 Oct 2003 21:30:59 GMT,
>> in message <Xns9418EEDA82CACnono@195.121.6.83>,
>> Gitano <(E-Mail Removed)> scrawled:
>>
>>>°Mike° came up with this: news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>>Your statement was that the XP firewall was not capable in prohibiting
>>>outbound traffic. Well, it is.

>> No, the "XP PRO" firewall is capable of being CONSTRUCTED - not
>> something most people would relish.
>>

>I agree with that. But, it IS possible to block outbound traffic in the XP
>firewall! With all respect, you replied to the OP :
>
>The Windows firewall does not block OUTGOING traffic
>
>and IMHO this is not correct, you can configure XP's firewall to block any
>outgoing traffic to suit your configuration.
>Not for the fainthearted, though....

Ok, semantics apart, nobody but a very few are going to go
through all of that trouble, are they? Also, my reply was not
incorrect, per se, as the XP firewall does not block outgoing
traffic. Now if I had said "CAN NOT block outgoing traffic"....

--
Basic Computer Maintenance