Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless PCI card keeps uninstalling itself

Wireless PCI card keeps uninstalling itself

Experienced but Undocumented

Here's a nice problem for you all,

I'm using a WMP11 Wireless PCI card from Linksys. (OS Win2000Prof.) The
card installs and works. Then after one, two, maybe three or four reboots
it quits working. I open the configuration program and it says "WMP11 is
not installed", even though Device Manager shows it's in there but good.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the program makes it work again.

Called Linksys support and they said, "Well sir...it should not do that."
I've tried drivers version 1.05 and 1.11 (latest).

Any more ideas?

Experienced but Undocumented

"Experienced but Undocumented" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Uninstalling and reinstalling the program makes it work again.

On the plus side, we've found through playing with different settings
*cough* some guy down the block has a much quicker internet connection than
we do *whistles innocently*

Experienced but Undocumented

"Experienced but Undocumented" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I'm using a WMP11 Wireless PCI card from Linksys. (OS Win2000Prof.) The
> card installs and works. Then after one, two, maybe three or four reboots
> it quits working.

I didn't post this before because I thought it was coincidence, but after
speaking to other users with my problem, we have determined that leaving the
install CD for the card in the CD drive when you boot the computer works.
We dunno why and Linksys doesn't seem to, either.

Graham

Experienced but Undocumented

"Experienced but Undocumented" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I'm using a WMP11 Wireless PCI card from Linksys. (OS Win2000Prof.) The
> card installs and works. Then after one, two, maybe three or four reboots
> it quits working. I open the configuration program and it says "WMP11 is
> not installed",

Looks like we fixed it...Linksys' setup program sets a registry value wrong:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...=flat;start=22