Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unplug or Eject Hardware...?

Unplug or Eject Hardware...?

Kenneth

Howdy,

With Win2K, I have learned (the hard way) that if I simply unplug an
external USB drive, I get an error dialog telling me that I have
removed a device without first stopping it. One of the options in the
dialog is that of placing the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" icon on the
tray.

I now have that icon on the tray.

It lists those devices that I have unplugged incorrectly in the past.

Now, (finally) my question:

How can I populate the "Unplug" list with other devices so that I can
"stop" them properly before unplugging them?

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Frederic

this works only for USB devices.
if it's still showing then go to device manager (system properties)

--
Frederic
http://fredsfastcram.netfirms.com

"Kenneth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howdy,
>
> With Win2K, I have learned (the hard way) that if I simply unplug an
> external USB drive, I get an error dialog telling me that I have
> removed a device without first stopping it. One of the options in the
> dialog is that of placing the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" icon on the
> tray.
>
> I now have that icon on the tray.
>
> It lists those devices that I have unplugged incorrectly in the past.
>
> Now, (finally) my question:
>
> How can I populate the "Unplug" list with other devices so that I can
> "stop" them properly before unplugging them?
>
> Sincere thanks,
>
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Kenneth

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:57:11 -0400, "Frederic"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>this works only for USB devices.
>if it's still showing then go to device manager (system properties)

Hello again,

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>this works only for USB devices.
>if it's still showing then go to device manager (system properties)

Hi again Frederic,

I just realized that on one of my systems, I have three USB devices
(two external drives, and one printer) but only the two drives show in
the Unplug icon list. Why would the printer not appear?

Thanks,

--
Kenneth

Stevo

Kenneth wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:57:11 -0400, "Frederic"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> this works only for USB devices.
>> if it's still showing then go to device manager (system properties)

> Hi again Frederic,
>
> I just realized that on one of my systems, I have three USB devices
> (two external drives, and one printer) but only the two drives show in
> the Unplug icon list. Why would the printer not appear?
>
> Thanks,

Under normal circumstances a printer wouldn't be considered as a 'removable'
device as such..

It is an output device, so caching etc is unlikely to cause major system
problems in the event of a cable disconnection.

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

How to Unplug/Eject Memory Card in Win XP? Davy Digital Photography 29 10-29-2007 08:09 AM
Cannot log onto Windows unless I unplug my Wireless Adapter =?Utf-8?B?V29vbGx5Y2h1bQ==?= Wireless Networking 2 11-26-2005 12:10 PM
Trouble booting XP Pro (after accidental electrical unplug) Yenc@power-post.org Computer Support 5 08-10-2004 07:49 PM
Unplug hardware FJDx Computer Support 0 02-01-2004 06:16 PM
Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged before reuse TD Matthews Digital Photography 10 10-17-2003 08:47 AM

Advertisments