Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DLLHOST.EXE

DLLHOST.EXE

Molecule

I have been trying to understand where the DLLHOST.exe could have infected
my pc. I formatted the hd, reinstalled windows xp at least 5 time and the
f***** still shows up in the task manager. Although simple to eradicate ( I
lost the battle and just deleted the entries in system32 ) I was wondering
if I it could have come from the internet as soon as I installed windows. I
have got broadband and during installation I left the modem on. Or is it one
of the Microsoft updates? Any ideas?
Thanks

Alien Zord

"Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mzPjb.4596$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been trying to understand where the DLLHOST.exe could have

infected
> my pc. I formatted the hd, reinstalled windows xp at least 5 time and the
> f***** still shows up in the task manager. Although simple to eradicate

( I
> lost the battle and just deleted the entries in system32 ) I was wondering
> if I it could have come from the internet as soon as I installed windows.

> have got broadband and during installation I left the modem on. Or is it

one
> of the Microsoft updates? Any ideas?
> Thanks

http://www.pchell.com/virus/welchia.shtml

The worm is supposed to remove itself in 2004. Try changing your year.

Harrison

DLLHOST.exe is a valid process. It's not necessarily a virus.
Although the smart thing would be to download the MS patch, put it on
a cd, unplug from the net, install XP, turn on the built-in firewall,
run the patch from the cd, and then connect to Windows Update for the
rest of the patches.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:32:40 +0100, "Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have been trying to understand where the DLLHOST.exe could have infected
>my pc. I formatted the hd, reinstalled windows xp at least 5 time and the
>f***** still shows up in the task manager. Although simple to eradicate ( I
>lost the battle and just deleted the entries in system32 ) I was wondering
>if I it could have come from the internet as soon as I installed windows. I
>have got broadband and during installation I left the modem on. Or is it one
>of the Microsoft updates? Any ideas?
>Thanks

Molecule

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DLLHOST.exe is a valid process. It's not necessarily a virus.
> Although the smart thing would be to download the MS patch, put it on
> a cd, unplug from the net, install XP, turn on the built-in firewall,
> run the patch from the cd, and then connect to Windows Update for the
> rest of the patches.

This process was using nearly all the cpu power. The graph was fluctuating
between 80% and 100 % everything slowed down to a crawl. It seems that only
a dllhost.exe in lower cases is a legitimate. You end the process and the
Ferrari sprint again.

Harrison

Sounds valid.
Keepa the Ferrari offa the road until the Ferrair, she isa ready for
the bigga tima.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:42:58 +0100, "Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> DLLHOST.exe is a valid process. It's not necessarily a virus.
>> Although the smart thing would be to download the MS patch, put it on
>> a cd, unplug from the net, install XP, turn on the built-in firewall,
>> run the patch from the cd, and then connect to Windows Update for the
>> rest of the patches.

>This process was using nearly all the cpu power. The graph was fluctuating
>between 80% and 100 % everything slowed down to a crawl. It seems that only
>a dllhost.exe in lower cases is a legitimate. You end the process and the
>Ferrari sprint again.

Molecule

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds valid.
> Keepa the Ferrari offa the road until the Ferrair, she isa ready for
> the bigga tima.

Si, va bene, ma non fare troppo la testolina. Ciao

David Wood

if DLLHOST.EXE is in c:\winnt\system32\wins
run the following from a command prompt:-

net stop rpcpatch
net stop rpctftpd
attrib -r c:\winnt\system32\wins\DLLHOST.EXE
del c:\winnt\system32\wins\DLLHOST.EXE
attrib -r c:\winnt\system32\wins\SVCHOST.EXE
del c:\winnt\system32\wins\SVCHOST.EXE

Now make sure you have the latest patches incl. KB824146 otherwise you'll
get infected again

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds valid.
> Keepa the Ferrari offa the road until the Ferrair, she isa ready for
> the bigga tima.
>

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:42:58 +0100, "Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> DLLHOST.exe is a valid process. It's not necessarily a virus.
> >> Although the smart thing would be to download the MS patch, put it on
> >> a cd, unplug from the net, install XP, turn on the built-in firewall,
> >> run the patch from the cd, and then connect to Windows Update for the
> >> rest of the patches.

> >This process was using nearly all the cpu power. The graph was

fluctuating
> >between 80% and 100 % everything slowed down to a crawl. It seems that

only
> >a dllhost.exe in lower cases is a legitimate. You end the process and the
> >Ferrari sprint again.

---