Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > please help with the e-mail virus

please help with the e-mail virus

Eric

recently i started to get these e-mails with virus in them,
the senders were mostly Microsoft or Administrator,
i remember seeing Microsoft's bulletin board warning about these kind of
messages not long ago,
but i just didn't know that it would happen to me,
i have Norton anti-virus installed on my PC and it does catch everyone of
them(i think),
and the virus is W32.Swen.A@mm,
i really have no idea who is really sending me these e-mails and how did the
person get my e-mail address,
but then i'm really tired of get 10+ of these e-mails everyday,
i'm using MS Outlook and i tried to set a rule so that Outlook won't dl
these messages from the server at all,
but none of these kind of rules exist!
can anyone help me to put a stop to this?

°Mike°

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/(E-Mail Removed)

How do spammers harvest email addresses
http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html

SPAM - Munging Your Email Address
http://www.internet-tips.net/Email/SPAM_munging.htm

How To Deal With Spam
http://pobox.com/nospam.html

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:39:24 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Eric scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ben Jorna

"Eric" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> recently i started to get these e-mails with virus in them,
> the senders were mostly Microsoft or Administrator,
> i remember seeing Microsoft's bulletin board warning about these kind of
> messages not long ago,
> but i just didn't know that it would happen to me,
> i have Norton anti-virus installed on my PC and it does catch everyone of
> them(i think),
> and the virus is W32.Swen.A@mm,
> i really have no idea who is really sending me these e-mails and how did

the
> person get my e-mail address,

Nobody does. Itīs the virus that is spreading itself, using entries from
adress books on contaminated pcīs.
Donīt bother to try to bounce it back to sender. Senders e-mail adress is
probably non-existing or is selected out of one of the adressbooks.

> but then i'm really tired of get 10+ of these e-mails everyday,

So do many of us. Youīre not alone

> i'm using MS Outlook and i tried to set a rule so that Outlook won't dl
> these messages from the server at all,
> but none of these kind of rules exist!
> can anyone help me to put a stop to this?

First, stop sending your e-mail adress with your postings in newsgroup as
you are doing now. Use a dummy e-mailadress, or merge some additional text
with your e-mailadress.
Second, use a program like mailwasher, to remove spam from the server.

Best regards,

Ben