Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > LARGE AVI to smal AVI files

LARGE AVI to smal AVI files

Hugh Sutherland

I recently D/L'ed 2 of the same AVI movies (StarTrek Enterprise episodes).
One was 200MB and the other only 85MB. I watched them both and the quality
was pretty much the same. What program do I need to convert/compress the
large MB file to a smaller MB file? Do I need MPEG4 software or hardware?
I recently got a MSI TV@WANYWHERE MPEG4 tv tuner card. It came with
INTERVIDEO MSIPVS and INTERVIDEO WINPRODUCER software.
Does anyone know how I can use this software to do this? Any help will do?

Hugh

gangle

Recompress the AVI (it's *already* compressed with a specific
codec) with a lower bitrate using Virtual Dub. Keep in mind
that it may look worse, and it takes a lot of trial and
error to do this effectively. http://www.virtualdub.org/

"Hugh Sutherland" wrote

spamfighter@xs4all.nl

"Hugh Sutherland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<rBojb.9377$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I recently D/L'ed 2 of the same AVI movies (StarTrek Enterprise episodes).
> One was 200MB and the other only 85MB. I watched them both and the quality
> was pretty much the same. What program do I need to convert/compress the
> large MB file to a smaller MB file? Do I need MPEG4 software or hardware?
> I recently got a MSI TV@WANYWHERE MPEG4 tv tuner card. It came with
> INTERVIDEO MSIPVS and INTERVIDEO WINPRODUCER software.
> Does anyone know how I can use this software to do this? Any help will do?
>
> Hugh
> (E-Mail Removed)

Best sites for information on this are www.dvdrhelp.com and www.doom9.org.

Possibly one was an actual avi and the other a DivX or Xvid version.

Jeroen

Ok, rotate AVI, save as AVI (mjpeg) Steve Digital Photography 2 07-17-2009 11:26 AM
Smal question Hans Müller Python 4 07-10-2008 10:31 PM
How to split a large avi file into smaller avi by size Avner DVD Video 1 10-31-2005 06:34 PM