Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Drives......IDE and EIDE

Hard Drives......IDE and EIDE

Chuck S

Looking to upgrade my hard drive and wanted to ask....... my motherboard
spec's say · "IDE - 2 Dual channel master mode PCI supporting four Enhanced
IDE devices - Transfer rate up to 33MB/sec to cover PIO mode 4, multi-word
DMA mode 2 drives, and UltraDMA-33 interface and increased reliability
using - - UltraDMA-66/100 transfer protocols · Audio: VIA audio with AC 97
compliant CODEC"

Most hard drives I have looked at are EIDE hard drives. Are EIDE hard drives
the same as IDE hard drive as what my motherboard says it takes. And does
anyone out there have any suggestions on a good trouble free hard drive in
the 120 gb rage I should look at.

Robert de Brus

In news:Camjb.1267$(E-Mail Removed),
Chuck S <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| Looking to upgrade my hard drive and wanted to ask....... my
|| motherboard spec's say · "IDE - 2 Dual channel master mode PCI
|| supporting four Enhanced IDE devices - Transfer rate up to 33MB/sec
|| to cover PIO mode 4, multi-word DMA mode 2 drives, and UltraDMA-33
|| interface and increased reliability using - - UltraDMA-66/100
|| transfer protocols · Audio: VIA audio with AC 97 compliant CODEC"
|| Most hard drives I have looked at are EIDE hard drives. Are EIDE
|| hard drives the same as IDE hard drive as what my motherboard says
|| it takes. And does anyone out there have any suggestions on a good
|| trouble free hard drive in the 120 gb rage I should look at.

IDE = Itegrated Drive Electronics
EIDE = Enhanced IDE

All IDE drive for many years are actually EIDE

Another way of describing IDE is ATA or UDMA

(AT = Advanced Technology)

ATA = AT Attachment
ATAPI = ATA Packet Interfact (for CDROMs - max 33MBps)
DMA = Direct Memory Access
UDMA = Ultra DMA

These are all based on EIDE, they're basically different manufacturer's own
method.

adelineguerpin

Camjb.1267$(E-Mail Removed)...