Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Idiot proof (free) remote support software?

Idiot proof (free) remote support software?

Tiny Tim

I have four friends (the list might grow) whom I help out with the odd PC
support problem. They live from 10-100 miles from me so just popping round
is not really an option when they have a small problem. They run a mixture
of operating systems from Win 98 to Win Me to Win XP Home. I'm running Win
XP Pro. I'm on ADSL and they are all on 56k dialup.

Can anyone recommend any software that would help me to support them
remotely and that would be easy to invoke at their end and for me to connect
to? I've used VNC in the past with one of them but talking then through IP
addresses and yacking on about clients and servers does not seem the easiest
way to provide support. So I want something really easy to use. It would
also be good if they could see what I was doing so that maybe they would
learn a bit more.

The sort of support might be for printing problems, downloading MS security
updates, defining message rules in an email or news client, or downloading
and installing a firewall such as Zone Alarm.

Obviously we all need sufficient security to only permit a connection when
it is needed. A help request could just be started with MSN/Windows
Messenger or with a phone call. I guess XP Pro's remote desktop feature
would be great (I haven't used it, myself, so I'm guessing here) if that was
the OS they had but as they don't....... does anyone have any simple (and
free) recommendations?

Thanks,
Tim.

--
Remove leading underscore to reply by email.

B. Al. Zeebub

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:16:10 +0100, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

> I have four friends (the list might grow) whom I help out with the odd PC
> support problem. They live from 10-100 miles from me so just popping round
> is not really an option when they have a small problem. They run a mixture
> of operating systems from Win 98 to Win Me to Win XP Home. I'm running Win
> XP Pro. I'm on ADSL and they are all on 56k dialup.

Tip toe through your help files,
through your help files with me...

http://tinyurl.com/5cgh

http://tinyurl.com/r56i

B.

Tiny Tim

B. Al. Zeebub wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:16:10 +0100, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :
>
>> I have four friends (the list might grow) whom I help out with the
>> odd PC support problem. They live from 10-100 miles from me so just
>> popping round is not really an option when they have a small
>> problem. They run a mixture of operating systems from Win 98 to Win
>> Me to Win XP Home. I'm running Win XP Pro. I'm on ADSL and they are
>> all on 56k dialup.

> Tip toe through your help files,
> through your help files with me...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/5cgh

I've looked into Remote Desktop but that works one way only, to allow access
TO a Win XP machine from 95/98/Me/XP.

I want access to other people's 98/Me/XP machines FROM my Win XP machine.

--
Remove leading underscore to reply by email.
To sign up with PlusNet click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

B. Al. Zeebub

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:51:58 +0100, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

> B. Al. Zeebub wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:16:10 +0100, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :
>>
>>> I have four friends (the list might grow) whom I help out with the
>>> odd PC support problem. They live from 10-100 miles from me so just
>>> popping round is not really an option when they have a small
>>> problem. They run a mixture of operating systems from Win 98 to Win
>>> Me to Win XP Home. I'm running Win XP Pro. I'm on ADSL and they are
>>> all on 56k dialup.

>> Tip toe through your help files,
>> through your help files with me...
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5cgh
>>

> I've looked into Remote Desktop but that works one way only, to allow access
> TO a Win XP machine from 95/98/Me/XP.
>
> I want access to other people's 98/Me/XP machines FROM my Win XP machine.

I know there is a way, not using Windows at the moment, so I'm not
thinking like a Windows user. I think telnet, you could try this if
you're brave, but I think you need a GUI. Try asking in microsoft.public
newsgroups is suppose.
B.
Good Luck.