Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mail Server suggestions

Mail Server suggestions

Allan

I just registered a domain that I have always wanted, and want to run a mail
server from home. I am moderately technical, but don't have LOTS of time to
play with this.

Which is better - sendmail or postfix mail server or MS Exchange?

I am unclear about the comparison. Can I just install sendmail (or postfix)
and it will act as a mail server? I think someone told me that I need to
install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?

- Allan
Canada

Liz

My brother use this.
http://www.workgroupmail.com/

"Allan" wrote
> I just registered a domain that I have always wanted, and want to run a mail
> server from home. I am moderately technical, but don't have LOTS of time to
> play with this.
>
> Which is better - sendmail or postfix mail server or MS Exchange?
>
> I am unclear about the comparison. Can I just install sendmail (or postfix)
> and it will act as a mail server? I think someone told me that I need to
> install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?
>
> - Allan
> Canada

Richard

Allan wrote:

> I just registered a domain that I have always wanted, and want to run
> a mail
> server from home. I am moderately technical, but don't have LOTS of
> time to
> play with this.

> Which is better - sendmail or postfix mail server or MS Exchange?

> I am unclear about the comparison. Can I just install sendmail (or
> postfix)
> and it will act as a mail server? I think someone told me that I need
> install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?

> - Allan
> Canada

Home based servers are not typically the type of thing to use online.
Specially if you're on dialup.
Many ISP's don't allow this to happen and you should first contact them and
ask what their policy is on this matter.
What you should do is just find yourself a cheap host that has unlimited
mailboxes.
This means you can set up any name you want and use it as YOUR mail.
such as http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or hello58927fkcl3##@foobar.com
I have my own domain with unlimited mailboxes and I use different prefixes
for various purposes.
So if I get spam at that address, I know where it came from.
Also find a host who has a good spam filter.
For starters, you should check out www.hostforweb.com They are quite good
and tech support replies to email.

joe

In the shower, Allan sang:
> I just registered a domain that I have always wanted, and want to run
> a mail server from home. I am moderately technical, but don't have
> LOTS of time to play with this.
>
> Which is better - sendmail or postfix mail server or MS Exchange?
>
> I am unclear about the comparison. Can I just install sendmail (or
> postfix) and it will act as a mail server? I think someone told me
> that I need to install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?
>
> - Allan
> Canada

If you're looking for FREE email and internet, go to
http://my.netzero.net/s/signup
it is free.

Bebop & Rocksteady

> I just registered a domain that I have always wanted, and want to run a
> mail server from home. I am moderately technical, but don't have LOTS of
> time to play with this.
>
> Which is better - sendmail or postfix mail server or MS Exchange?
>
> I am unclear about the comparison. Can I just install sendmail (or
> postfix) and it will act as a mail server? I think someone told me that
> I need to install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?

Mercury Mail
Http://www.pmail.com

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

Allan

What, nobody likes Exchange Server?

I haven't tried it out yet, but I have a licenced copy. Has anyone compared:

1. Mercury Mail Http://www.pmail.com
2. Exchange
3. http://www.workgroupmail.com/

?

"Bebop & Rocksteady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > I just registered a domain that I have always wanted, and want to run a
> > mail server from home. I am moderately technical, but don't have LOTS of
> > time to play with this.
> >
> > Which is better - sendmail or postfix mail server or MS Exchange?
> >
> > I am unclear about the comparison. Can I just install sendmail (or
> > postfix) and it will act as a mail server? I think someone told me that
> > I need to install POP protocol and IMAP too. Will that work then?
> >

> Mercury Mail
> Http://www.pmail.com

> Quantum Illusions: http://quantum.2ya.com
> Pegasus Mail Support Site: http://pegasus.quantum.2ya.com
> Freeware Site: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com
> DATA Solutions: http://datasolutions.quantum.2ya.com
>
> If you truly want to contact me click the link
> http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

Bebop & Rocksteady

> What, nobody likes Exchange Server?

> I haven't tried it out yet, but I have a licenced copy. Has anyone
> compared:

> 1. Mercury Mail Http://www.pmail.com
> 2. Exchange
> 3. http://www.workgroupmail.com/

* Mercury is Free
* Is not a system hog
* Is not Microsoft

I use and recommend... But if you have a licenced copy of exchange why don't
you use it... (though it is a hog)

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm