Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ad-Aware

Ad-Aware

slaphappy

Win ME

Often when I run Ad-Aware, at almost the same point in the scan each
time (shared DLL's), my computer will go to the BSD or just simply
reboot. Sometimes during these reboots the system goes into scandisk and
then I will see that config files are being updated. Infrequently, the
system will reboot in safe mode. Then, I am always able to rerun
Ad-Aware successfully and each time it then finds an instance of Data
Miner, specifically, \cookies\(E-Mail Removed). Is this a coincidence or
is Data Miner somehow responsible for these problems?

Is Data Miner unkillable? Does it replicate with files hidden on my
computer? I use both Ad-Aware and Spywareblaster and Data Miner simply
will not go away.

Any thoughts please.

Slaphappy

Stevo

slaphappy wrote:
> Win ME
>
> Often when I run Ad-Aware, at almost the same point in the scan each
> time (shared DLL's), my computer will go to the BSD or just simply
> reboot. Sometimes during these reboots the system goes into scandisk
> and then I will see that config files are being updated.
> Infrequently, the system will reboot in safe mode. Then, I am always
> able to rerun Ad-Aware successfully and each time it then finds an
> instance of Data Miner, specifically, \cookies\(E-Mail Removed). Is
> this a coincidence or is Data Miner somehow responsible for these
> problems?
>
> Is Data Miner unkillable? Does it replicate with files hidden on my
> computer? I use both Ad-Aware and Spywareblaster and Data Miner simply
> will not go away.
>
> Any thoughts please.
>
> Slaphappy

Data Miner is the type of 'threat' that AdAware has identified in the
subject - which is the cookie concerned. That cookie is coming from a site
you are visiting probably.. you might need to adjust your cookie settings
so as to block that one.

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

slaphappy

Stevo wrote:

> slaphappy wrote:
> > Win ME
> >
> > Often when I run Ad-Aware, at almost the same point in the scan each
> > time (shared DLL's), my computer will go to the BSD or just simply
> > reboot. Sometimes during these reboots the system goes into scandisk
> > and then I will see that config files are being updated.
> > Infrequently, the system will reboot in safe mode. Then, I am always
> > able to rerun Ad-Aware successfully and each time it then finds an
> > instance of Data Miner, specifically, \cookies\(E-Mail Removed). Is
> > this a coincidence or is Data Miner somehow responsible for these
> > problems?
> >
> > Is Data Miner unkillable? Does it replicate with files hidden on my
> > computer? I use both Ad-Aware and Spywareblaster and Data Miner simply
> > will not go away.
> >
> > Any thoughts please.
> >
> > Slaphappy

> Data Miner is the type of 'threat' that AdAware has identified in the
> subject - which is the cookie concerned. That cookie is coming from a site
> you are visiting probably.. you might need to adjust your cookie settings
> so as to block that one.
>
> --
> Stevo
> (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Thank you very much. Makes perfect sense. Sons and there music sites. I use NS
4.8. Is there a way to block one specific cookie in 4.8?

pcbutts1

Are you using version 1.81 of Ad-Aware?

"slaphappy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win ME
>
> Often when I run Ad-Aware, at almost the same point in the scan each
> time (shared DLL's), my computer will go to the BSD or just simply
> reboot. Sometimes during these reboots the system goes into scandisk and
> then I will see that config files are being updated. Infrequently, the
> system will reboot in safe mode. Then, I am always able to rerun
> Ad-Aware successfully and each time it then finds an instance of Data
> Miner, specifically, \cookies\(E-Mail Removed). Is this a coincidence or
> is Data Miner somehow responsible for these problems?
>
> Is Data Miner unkillable? Does it replicate with files hidden on my
> computer? I use both Ad-Aware and Spywareblaster and Data Miner simply
> will not go away.
>
> Any thoughts please.
>
> Slaphappy

Stevo

slaphappy wrote:
> Stevo wrote:
>
>> slaphappy wrote:
>>> Win ME
>>>
>>> Often when I run Ad-Aware, at almost the same point in the scan each
>>> time (shared DLL's), my computer will go to the BSD or just simply
>>> reboot. Sometimes during these reboots the system goes into scandisk
>>> and then I will see that config files are being updated.
>>> Infrequently, the system will reboot in safe mode. Then, I am always
>>> able to rerun Ad-Aware successfully and each time it then finds an
>>> instance of Data Miner, specifically, \cookies\(E-Mail Removed). Is
>>> this a coincidence or is Data Miner somehow responsible for these
>>> problems?
>>>
>>> Is Data Miner unkillable? Does it replicate with files hidden on my
>>> computer? I use both Ad-Aware and Spywareblaster and Data Miner
>>> simply will not go away.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts please.
>>>
>>> Slaphappy

>> Data Miner is the type of 'threat' that AdAware has identified in the
>> subject - which is the cookie concerned. That cookie is coming from
>> a site you are visiting probably.. you might need to adjust your
>> cookie settings so as to block that one.
>>
>> --
>> Stevo
>> (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

> Thank you very much. Makes perfect sense. Sons and there music sites.
> I use NS
> 4.8. Is there a way to block one specific cookie in 4.8?

I don't know a lot about Netscape options, hopefully some other kind soul
will wander in with some info for you..

In the meantime, have a look in help or maybe try a cookie manager add on..
some are listed here :

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/art...d,44745,00.asp

But there are lots available

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

TRADESMAN

slaphappy wrote:
> Win ME
>
> Often when I run Ad-Aware, at almost the same point in the scan each
> time (shared DLL's), my computer will go to the BSD or just simply
> reboot. Sometimes during these reboots the system goes into scandisk
> and then I will see that config files are being updated.
> Infrequently, the system will reboot in safe mode. Then, I am always
> able to rerun Ad-Aware successfully and each time it then finds an
> instance of Data Miner, specifically, \cookies\(E-Mail Removed). Is
> this a coincidence or is Data Miner somehow responsible for these
> problems?
>
> Is Data Miner unkillable? Does it replicate with files hidden on my
> computer? I use both Ad-Aware and Spywareblaster and Data Miner simply
> will not go away.
>
> Any thoughts please.
>
> Slaphappy

Cookie Wall from AnalogX is excellent and it's free
Never been troubled by Data Miner cookies since I installed it.

slaphappy

pcbutts1 wrote:

> Are you using version 1.81 of Ad-Aware?

> "slaphappy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Win ME
> >
> > Often when I run Ad-Aware, at almost the same point in the scan each
> > time (shared DLL's), my computer will go to the BSD or just simply
> > reboot. Sometimes during these reboots the system goes into scandisk and
> > then I will see that config files are being updated. Infrequently, the
> > system will reboot in safe mode. Then, I am always able to rerun
> > Ad-Aware successfully and each time it then finds an instance of Data
> > Miner, specifically, \cookies\(E-Mail Removed). Is this a coincidence or
> > is Data Miner somehow responsible for these problems?
> >
> > Is Data Miner unkillable? Does it replicate with files hidden on my
> > computer? I use both Ad-Aware and Spywareblaster and Data Miner simply
> > will not go away.
> >
> > Any thoughts please.
> >
> > Slaphappy

Yes, 6.181

Moke G

I recommend you download and install 'SpyBot' as well. Look up 'SpyBot'
under Google and you'll find it there. It won't clash with either AdAware or
SpyWareBlaster, but will complement it. It's also free with free updates as
well.

Moke G.

news:bmhvp6$me7uh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...