Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > winXP Search and Office 2000

winXP Search and Office 2000

Jim

I've just installed WinXP Pro sp1 over WinME. When I do a Search from
the START menu, it the Windows installer starts up and wants to install
Windows Office 2000 which is on my machine and seem to work. I never
see if it is trying to do a full install or just a component. When I
cancel it starts again like it is trying to install a second component.
WHY at the search? What does the operating system want with an
application program? Wasn't there a law suit about that? (hahahahahaha)

Any ideas?

pcbutts1

Put in the office CD and let it install the files it is looking for.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just installed WinXP Pro sp1 over WinME. When I do a Search from
> the START menu, it the Windows installer starts up and wants to install
> Windows Office 2000 which is on my machine and seem to work. I never
> see if it is trying to do a full install or just a component. When I
> cancel it starts again like it is trying to install a second component.
> WHY at the search? What does the operating system want with an
> application program? Wasn't there a law suit about that? (hahahahahaha)
>
> Any ideas?

Jim

Not the point. What's it doing is. Just wanted to know if any one else
experienced it.

pcbutts1 wrote:
> Put in the office CD and let it install the files it is looking for.

pcbutts1

You upgraded from Windows ME that's why it is doing it. It needs to copy
some files that got corrupted during the upgrade.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not the point. What's it doing is. Just wanted to know if any one else
> experienced it.
>
> pcbutts1 wrote:
> > Put in the office CD and let it install the files it is looking for.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not the point. What's it doing is. Just wanted to know if any one else
> experienced it.
>
> pcbutts1 wrote:
> > Put in the office CD and let it install the files it is looking for.

But, Jim, that IS the point.

XP overwrote some of the search DLLs (I'm thinking) that are used,
so now Office wants to reinstall those.

Or something else needs to be installed, so it's asking for the
Office CD first.

RwP