Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CDROM Keeps opening and closing, HELP!

CDROM Keeps opening and closing, HELP!

Terry Lange

I have scanned with several online virus scanners, plus I have updated
virus definitions for Norton. No viruses detected ever. For the
longest time my cdrom just keeps opening and closing. I am
experiencing no other problems at all, and I mean none. Computer runs
fine. I have windows 98 and windows xp installed, and xp is usually
what i use.

Before I installed XP it also did it on Win98. I never use the cdrom
since I have installed my cd burner about 3 years ago. I just can't
figure out where to look and what to look for to stop this. About 8
months ago I just opened the case and unplugged the thing. I had to
copy a cd is the only reason it is hooked back up. Is there a way to
just disable the cdrom without opening the case, or what else can I
look for to see what is causing this.

Harrison

Does it happen to do it when you open certain web pages?
http://www.omega.reallybites.com/boo/boo.html

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:35:08 -0400, Terry Lange
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have scanned with several online virus scanners, plus I have updated
>virus definitions for Norton. No viruses detected ever. For the
>longest time my cdrom just keeps opening and closing. I am
>experiencing no other problems at all, and I mean none. Computer runs
>fine. I have windows 98 and windows xp installed, and xp is usually
>what i use.
>
> Before I installed XP it also did it on Win98. I never use the cdrom
>since I have installed my cd burner about 3 years ago. I just can't
>figure out where to look and what to look for to stop this. About 8
>months ago I just opened the case and unplugged the thing. I had to
>copy a cd is the only reason it is hooked back up. Is there a way to
>just disable the cdrom without opening the case, or what else can I
>look for to see what is causing this.

Terry Lange

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:41:31 -0400, Harrison
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does it happen to do it when you open certain web pages?
>http://www.omega.reallybites.com/boo/boo.html

Not that I know of. I just woke up, and walked thru the house and
heard it. I came through and yahoo was still open from last night. No
other pages were open.

Harrison

If you're sure it's not a trojan or prank, then test the sensitivity
of the eject button on the drive. It's possibly so close that it
sometimes connects.

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:43:59 -0400, Terry Lange
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:41:31 -0400, Harrison
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Does it happen to do it when you open certain web pages?
>>http://www.omega.reallybites.com/boo/boo.html

>Not that I know of. I just woke up, and walked thru the house and
>heard it. I came through and yahoo was still open from last night. No
>other pages were open.

yugsdrawkcab

Harrison wrote:
> Does it happen to do it when you open certain web pages?
> http://www.omega.reallybites.com/boo/boo.html

Yet more proof to stay away from Internet Explorer. The script doesn't
work with Netscape.

Dracomark_NOT_REAL_ADDRESS@Yahoo_YIKES.com

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:35:08 -0400, Terry Lange <(E-Mail Removed)>
stated:

> Before I installed XP it also did it on Win98. I never use the cdrom
> since I have installed my cd burner about 3 years ago. I just can't
> figure out where to look and what to look for to stop this. About 8
> months ago I just opened the case and unplugged the thing. I had to
> copy a cd is the only reason it is hooked back up. Is there a way to
> just disable the cdrom without opening the case, or what else can I
> look for to see what is causing this.

Normal suspects:

The CD drawer has intereference on front causing it to not fully close.

A bad (or hypersensitive) 'eject' button on front of drive.

A CD eject button on the keyboard that's bad or has cat sleeping on it
occasionally.

Confused packet driver software.

Shared drive on network.

Disable the drive from Windows Device Mangler.

Win9x: Right Click - My Computer - Properties - Device Manager - CDROM -
Properties - Disable.

WinXP: Start - Right Click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device
Manager - CDROM - Properties - Disable.

HTH

Mark
--
Grammar is the difference between saying what you mean
and saying what I think you mean.

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

yugsdrawkcab wrote:

> Harrison wrote:
>
>> Does it happen to do it when you open certain web pages?
>> http://www.omega.reallybites.com/boo/boo.html
>>

> Yet more proof to stay away from Internet Explorer. The script doesn't
> work with Netscape.

--Or mozilla... I know, I know.. Same-Same.

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

Harrison

Or Konquerer