Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP and files that didn't defragment....

Windows XP and files that didn't defragment....

Hell Billy

I run Disk Check and Defrag about once a week on my Windows XP PC. Each
time I defrag, I get a Defragmentation Report that gives me a list of
files that didn't defragment, with no directives or suggestions of what
I could do to defragment those files. They're mostly log or .dat files,
but one's an .exe of a program that I use a lot, which functions well.
And it wasn't open during the defrag, either.

I've also tried doing the same thing with Diskeeper, and I get the same
result; a list of files that didn't defragment, with no explanation of
how to take care of that.

So is there something else I need to do to get these files to
defragment? I haven't tried booting into Safe Mode yet, but is that
something I should consider as well? Thanks.

pcbutts1

And what problem are you having with your computer?

"Hell Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f8a16e8$(E-Mail Removed)-news.net...
> I run Disk Check and Defrag about once a week on my Windows XP PC. Each
> time I defrag, I get a Defragmentation Report that gives me a list of
> files that didn't defragment, with no directives or suggestions of what
> I could do to defragment those files. They're mostly log or .dat files,
> but one's an .exe of a program that I use a lot, which functions well.
> And it wasn't open during the defrag, either.
>
> I've also tried doing the same thing with Diskeeper, and I get the same
> result; a list of files that didn't defragment, with no explanation of
> how to take care of that.
>
> So is there something else I need to do to get these files to
> defragment? I haven't tried booting into Safe Mode yet, but is that
> something I should consider as well? Thanks.

Terry Olsen

Booting into safe mode will help. If you have Diskeeper, try using "boot
time defrag". This will defrag your drive on your next re-boot before the
OS is loaded. You should also have as much "free space" as possible on the
drive for defrag to work at its optimum.