Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 56K connection

56K connection

Mike0000

Liam Parr wrote:

> Why on earth is the blueyonder 56K connection so unreliable, sometimes I
> connect and its fine, connected at 45,666 bps, other times I connect and it
> gets as low as 9600 bps, any ideas????? and don't say get broadband because
> the amount of time I use the internet isn't worth paying that money
> for!!!!!!

Are you blocking ads? Its a lifesaver over a dial-up. Check my sig.

Also, make sure you have the newest drivers for your modem and when you
dial unplug anything other than a regular phone like an answering
machine, etc in case its putting noise on the line.

--
Mike
Block Banner Ads Now

Mike0000

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ wrote:

> There's only 3 possible reasons for the odd speed you get:
> 1) The User's computer / modem is faulty
> 2) The communications medium is faulty (phone wire to TelCo)
> 3) The Service's modem is faulty

Most likey #3. Youre calling into a bank of modems. If you get a bad
one you'll get a bad connection. Your speed should vary but not by that
much. Considering all this stuff is outsourced you never know whose
modems you're calling. Hell, switching providers might not even make a
difference.

--

Mike0000 wrote:
> BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ wrote:
>

>> There's only 3 possible reasons for the odd speed you get:
>> 1) The User's computer / modem is faulty
>> 2) The communications medium is faulty (phone wire to TelCo)
>> 3) The Service's modem is faulty
>>

> Most likey #3. Youre calling into a bank of modems. If you get a bad
> one you'll get a bad connection. Your speed should vary but not by that
> much. Considering all this stuff is outsourced you never know whose
> modems you're calling. Hell, switching providers might not even make a
> difference.

Actually, my experience has been #1 more often than not - Winmodems /
Soft Modems / Controllerless modems are all too suceptable to the driver
getting hosed by Phantoms....

I'm hoping the original poster will let us know what he finds out - even
when I'm wrong, I learn a lot.

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)