Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NAI Stinger

NAI Stinger

Jon Watson

This is grinding to stand still when it tries to scan the IIS.INF file
within C:\Windows\Inf. (within a Win XP Home PC)

Virus checker shows clear, and I am experiencing none of the usual symptoms
of infection. This however appears odd. Has anyone else suffered from
this, or have any theories?

Thanks.

Roy Jones

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:42:58 +0100, Jon Watson wrote:

> This is grinding to stand still when it tries to scan the IIS.INF file
> within C:\Windows\Inf. (within a Win XP Home PC)
>
> Virus checker shows clear, and I am experiencing none of the usual symptoms
> of infection. This however appears odd. Has anyone else suffered from
> this, or have any theories?
>
> Thanks.

One possibility is that the file is corrupt...that is, simply damaged and
unreadable, or at least damaged enough that Stinger can't open it. I had
the same thing happen this weekend. The file where it was hanging wasn't
infected, but Stinger choked on it until I removed it from the system and
replaced it with a clean copy.

Try copying the file to a floppy or to some other directory on your PC. If
it's corrupt and the OS can't read it, the system will give you an error
and the copy will fail.

Roy

Jon Watson

"Roy Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:197v4kt8545e6$.1pqj5pbwkiryi$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:42:58 +0100, Jon Watson wrote:
>
> > This is grinding to stand still when it tries to scan the IIS.INF file
> > within C:\Windows\Inf. (within a Win XP Home PC)
> >
> > Virus checker shows clear, and I am experiencing none of the usual

symptoms
> > of infection. This however appears odd. Has anyone else suffered from
> > this, or have any theories?
> >
> > Thanks.

> One possibility is that the file is corrupt...that is, simply damaged and
> unreadable, or at least damaged enough that Stinger can't open it. I had
> the same thing happen this weekend. The file where it was hanging wasn't
> infected, but Stinger choked on it until I removed it from the system and
> replaced it with a clean copy.
>
> Try copying the file to a floppy or to some other directory on your PC. If
> it's corrupt and the OS can't read it, the system will give you an error
> and the copy will fail.
>
> Roy

Ta.

McAfee Stinger v2.5.4 - 1,103,367 bytes - Released 02/05/2005 Dave Lear Computer Support 1 05-03-2005 06:11 AM
McAfee Stinger v2.5.3 - 1,006,087 bytes - Released 01/03/2005 Dave Lear Computer Support 6 04-11-2005 05:30 PM
Stinger NBN Computer Support 1 01-03-2005 03:28 AM
Cursor prob & Stinger gary Computer Support 4 10-13-2004 11:13 PM
Autoexec nai file 0KB buffy Computer Support 3 12-09-2003 07:55 PM

Advertisments