Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Major problem with new graphic card

Major problem with new graphic card

Jerry Manner

Hi

I have a ATI Radeon 9200 ( 128mb ddr with dvi tv) card which I am trying to
install in my system Here are my system configuration:

W98SE, PIII 700Mhz, Abit BX MainBoard, 128MB memory.

When placing teh card in my system and starting my pc. I use the cd of the
card to install the driver and configuration program. That goes fine untill
I restart my system. The card is giving me a hardware conflict warning.
Looking in my device manager I see that for all my PCI controllers( PCI
Ethernet Controller, PCI Input Controller, PCI ISA Bridge, PCI Mass Storage
Controller, PCI Multimedia Audio Device) I have a question mark. Before the
installation of the card I didn't had any of these. In the device manager I
also have question mark for the ATI Radeon card. Looking at the message on
the property of this card I see the following message
"This device cannot find free I/O-sources for use of (Code:12)" ( I tried to
translate this in english as good as I can for I have a dutch version of
W9

I have installed the AGP driver of Intell before I installed the card, but
still I have this strange problems.

Can someone please help me out???

Kind Regards

°Mike°

Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager

Code 12

This device cannot find any free <type> resources to use.
(Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you must disable another
device that is using the resources this device needs. To
do this, click Hardware Troubleshooter and follow the
instructions in the wizard.

where <type> is a resource type (IRQ, DMA, Memory, or I/O).

Solution button: Hardware Troubleshooter

This code means that one of the resource arbitrators failed.
This can occur if the device is software configurable and it
does not currently have a resource (if the system is out of
resources). For example, all the interrupts are in use, or the
device requests a resource that is currently in use by another
device that will not release the resource.

To resolve this problem, follow the instructions in the Hardware
Troubleshooter. In addition, see the "Troubleshooting Conflicting
Hardware" topic in Windows 95 Help, or see the following article
in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

ARTICLE-ID:
TITLE: Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:21:15 +0200, in
<bmbno0$krqao$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
Jerry Manner scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Harrison

Enter the BIOS setup and make sure that it is configured for plug and
play and that no PCI resources are manually assigned or reserved. Set
all resource assignments to "Auto".

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:21:15 +0200, "Jerry Manner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have a ATI Radeon 9200 ( 128mb ddr with dvi tv) card which I am trying to
>install in my system Here are my system configuration:
>
>W98SE, PIII 700Mhz, Abit BX MainBoard, 128MB memory.
>
>When placing teh card in my system and starting my pc. I use the cd of the
>card to install the driver and configuration program. That goes fine untill
>I restart my system. The card is giving me a hardware conflict warning.
>Looking in my device manager I see that for all my PCI controllers( PCI
>Ethernet Controller, PCI Input Controller, PCI ISA Bridge, PCI Mass Storage
>Controller, PCI Multimedia Audio Device) I have a question mark. Before the
>installation of the card I didn't had any of these. In the device manager I
>also have question mark for the ATI Radeon card. Looking at the message on
>the property of this card I see the following message
>"This device cannot find free I/O-sources for use of (Code:12)" ( I tried to
>translate this in english as good as I can for I have a dutch version of
>W9
>
>I have installed the AGP driver of Intell before I installed the card, but
>still I have this strange problems.
>
>Can someone please help me out???
>
>Kind Regards

Jerry Manner

Hi

Thank you for replying.
Do I have to fix all the PCI controllers with question mark first in order
to solve my problem? Or can I just delete them from the device manager? Do I
need all those PCI controllers in order to let my card function?

Regards

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Enter the BIOS setup and make sure that it is configured for plug and
> play and that no PCI resources are manually assigned or reserved. Set
> all resource assignments to "Auto".
>
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:21:15 +0200, "Jerry Manner"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I have a ATI Radeon 9200 ( 128mb ddr with dvi tv) card which I am trying

> >install in my system Here are my system configuration:
> >
> >W98SE, PIII 700Mhz, Abit BX MainBoard, 128MB memory.
> >
> >When placing teh card in my system and starting my pc. I use the cd of

the
> >card to install the driver and configuration program. That goes fine

untill
> >I restart my system. The card is giving me a hardware conflict warning.
> >Looking in my device manager I see that for all my PCI controllers( PCI
> >Ethernet Controller, PCI Input Controller, PCI ISA Bridge, PCI Mass

Storage
> >Controller, PCI Multimedia Audio Device) I have a question mark. Before

the
> >installation of the card I didn't had any of these. In the device manager

> >also have question mark for the ATI Radeon card. Looking at the message

on
> >the property of this card I see the following message
> >"This device cannot find free I/O-sources for use of (Code:12)" ( I tried

> >translate this in english as good as I can for I have a dutch version of
> >W9
> >
> >I have installed the AGP driver of Intell before I installed the card,

but
> >still I have this strange problems.
> >
> >Can someone please help me out???
> >
> >Kind Regards

Harrison

Don't bother with the device manager until you have checked and
corrected the BIOS settings. Also, if possible, try not to use the PCI
adjacent to the AGP slot as these two share resources on some systems.

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:12:19 +0200, "Jerry Manner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Thank you for replying.
>Do I have to fix all the PCI controllers with question mark first in order
>to solve my problem? Or can I just delete them from the device manager? Do I
>need all those PCI controllers in order to let my card function?
>
>Regards
>
>"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Enter the BIOS setup and make sure that it is configured for plug and
>> play and that no PCI resources are manually assigned or reserved. Set
>> all resource assignments to "Auto".
>>
>> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:21:15 +0200, "Jerry Manner"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >I have a ATI Radeon 9200 ( 128mb ddr with dvi tv) card which I am trying

>> >install in my system Here are my system configuration:
>> >
>> >W98SE, PIII 700Mhz, Abit BX MainBoard, 128MB memory.
>> >
>> >When placing teh card in my system and starting my pc. I use the cd of

>the
>> >card to install the driver and configuration program. That goes fine

>untill
>> >I restart my system. The card is giving me a hardware conflict warning.
>> >Looking in my device manager I see that for all my PCI controllers( PCI
>> >Ethernet Controller, PCI Input Controller, PCI ISA Bridge, PCI Mass

>Storage
>> >Controller, PCI Multimedia Audio Device) I have a question mark. Before

>the
>> >installation of the card I didn't had any of these. In the device manager

>> >also have question mark for the ATI Radeon card. Looking at the message

>on
>> >the property of this card I see the following message
>> >"This device cannot find free I/O-sources for use of (Code:12)" ( I tried

>> >translate this in english as good as I can for I have a dutch version of
>> >W9
>> >
>> >I have installed the AGP driver of Intell before I installed the card,

>but
>> >still I have this strange problems.
>> >
>> >Can someone please help me out???
>> >
>> >Kind Regards

Jerry Manner

Hi

I have checked my BIOS. All my IRQ are set on auto. So what else do I need
to check now?

Kind Regards

"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't bother with the device manager until you have checked and
> corrected the BIOS settings. Also, if possible, try not to use the PCI
> adjacent to the AGP slot as these two share resources on some systems.
>
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:12:19 +0200, "Jerry Manner"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >Thank you for replying.
> >Do I have to fix all the PCI controllers with question mark first in

order
> >to solve my problem? Or can I just delete them from the device manager?

Do I
> >need all those PCI controllers in order to let my card function?
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Enter the BIOS setup and make sure that it is configured for plug and
> >> play and that no PCI resources are manually assigned or reserved. Set
> >> all resource assignments to "Auto".

trying

> >the

> >untill

warning.

PCI

> >Storage

Before
> >the

manager

message
> >on

tried

of

> >but

Harrison

Check the ATi website and see if they have an updated driver.
Also see if there is a utility to completely uninstall the previous
drives.