Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DOWNLOADS - How to Get More Than Two?

DOWNLOADS - How to Get More Than Two?

Just Me

When I used Windows 95 & 98, whenever I downloaded files from the
internet, the DOWNLOAD FILES function with Ineternet Explorer used to
allow me to D/L an infinite number of files at once. I'd start one
D/L and before it was done, I could start another, then another. Now,
with WINDOWS XP, I am allowed to have two D/L's going at once. But
after that, I have to wait till one of the first two D/L's have
completed before starting another. Anyone know how to configure the
DOWNLOAD FILES function so that I am not limited to only two
simultaneous D/L's?

°Mike°

Increasing the number of downloads is a violation of
the internet standards, so use the following at your
own risk.

Copy/paste the following into Notepad and save as
a .reg file. Double click to merge into the registry.
Note that everything between [ and ] MUST be one
line only, and there must be a blank line at the end.

***** <-- omit this line
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings]
"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000028
"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000028

***** <-- omit this line

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:41:29 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Just Me scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

why?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:41:29 -0500, Just Me wrote:

>When I used Windows 95 & 98, whenever I downloaded files from the
>internet, the DOWNLOAD FILES function with Ineternet Explorer used to
>allow me to D/L an infinite number of files at once. I'd start one

'infinite'?

>D/L and before it was done, I could start another, then another. Now,
>with WINDOWS XP, I am allowed to have two D/L's going at once. But
>after that, I have to wait till one of the first two D/L's have

A change in a MSIE, it's been a few years since it changed as well.
As Mike mentioned with the reg edit, here is the info for reference.

Full text is here,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];282402

Part text,
How to Configure Internet Explorer to Have More Than Two Download
Sessions
PSS ID Number: 282402

To comply with current Internet standards (Request for Comments 206,
Internet Explorer limits the number of simultaneous downloads to two
downloads, plus one queued download. This configuration is a function of
the browser. However, as connection speeds increase, and the number of
total connections that are allowed to Internet servers increase, the
two-connection limit may be restrictive. To increase the number of
simultaneous connections that are allowed to 10, follow these steps:

<snip>

Me

Pauline Johnson

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 08:41:29 -0500, Just Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I used Windows 95 & 98, whenever I downloaded files from the
>internet, the DOWNLOAD FILES function with Ineternet Explorer used to
>allow me to D/L an infinite number of files at once. I'd start one
>D/L and before it was done, I could start another, then another. Now,
>with WINDOWS XP, I am allowed to have two D/L's going at once. But
>after that, I have to wait till one of the first two D/L's have
>completed before starting another. Anyone know how to configure the
>DOWNLOAD FILES function so that I am not limited to only two
>simultaneous D/L's?

Use a download manager such as "Fresh Download" free from:-

http://www.freshdevices.com/

and set the number of simultaneous downloads in "Options"

It will also let you resume interrupted downloads.

You need to give them your name and email address to get a free
registration code. If that bothers you, get a free throw away address
at hotmail or yahoo or the like and use that. I have did not have any
spam to my throw away address after registering with them.

--
Paulie

pjpjpj FROM aussiemail THINGO com