Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I cant figure out if a Pwr supply is dead

I cant figure out if a Pwr supply is dead

Jay K.

I already plugged it into a known good outlet and the light on the mobo
lights up on my K7V. Its an AOpen Pwr supply that is rather cheap and the
fan spins when you apply pwr. Now when I go to plug it in I get the green
light on the mobo and no fan spin from the pwr supply. What did I do to
deserve this. I just created a Mint box and was going to rearrange the cd
rom from outside the case to inside when I did that I suffered this new set
back. OUCH!!

Jay K.

Cher

If you have a lite on the mb than you have some power from the ps.
do the disk drives start up and do their self test?
are any beeps heard from the mb?
did you connect the data cable on the cdrom correctly?

I would first verify that the fan in the ps is good. try giving it a
push and see if it starts up or even tries to move. I have had a few
fan failures over the years.

Of couse a voltmeter would help.