Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > windows xp

windows xp

Jim

Hi all,

Thinking of buying a new computer without an operating system, is it
possible to load windows xp from my own genuine programme cd? I only ask
because when I loaded it on my current computer I had to get the
authorisation thing done and wonder if there will be a problem a second
time.

many thanks

Harrison

If your original CD was an OEM version which came with a brand name
computer, then it's very unlikely that you will be allowed to transfer
that registration to another machine.

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:19:44 +0000 (UTC), "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Thinking of buying a new computer without an operating system, is it
>possible to load windows xp from my own genuine programme cd? I only ask
>because when I loaded it on my current computer I had to get the
>authorisation thing done and wonder if there will be a problem a second
>time.
>
>many thanks

Jim

Harrison wrote:
> If your original CD was an OEM version which came with a brand name
> computer, then it's very unlikely that you will be allowed to transfer
> that registration to another machine.
>
> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:19:44 +0000 (UTC), "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thinking of buying a new computer without an operating system, is it
>> possible to load windows xp from my own genuine programme cd? I
>> only ask because when I loaded it on my current computer I had to
>> get the authorisation thing done and wonder if there will be a
>> problem a second time.
>>
>> many thanks

No it was bought separately

Jerry G.

The follow is what we were told by our dealer for this situation:

You will have to call MS customer support and explain that you are
transferring the operating system from one machine to the other. Normally
they will allow this. You tell them that you bought a new computer, and the
old one is going to have the system removed. They may ask for some personal
information, and a fax copy of the proof of purchase of the operating system
CD disk, and license.

After your new machine logs on the net, and is activated, you will find that
the next time your old machine logs on, it will act as if the operating
system is not registered, and will eventually not function any more.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg

news:bm9e3f$jl9$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi all,

Thinking of buying a new computer without an operating system, is it
possible to load windows xp from my own genuine programme cd? I only ask
because when I loaded it on my current computer I had to get the
authorisation thing done and wonder if there will be a problem a second
time.

many thanks

Harrison

I've never used one of these and I have no idea if they work or not.
It is not my intention to post links to software which helps people to
steal things. However, there are those who believe that they shouldn't
have to go through the hassle of re-registering or re-activating
something they've already paid for, just because they changed hardware
or re-installed software. There are also people who believe that big
brother already his nose poked too deeply into their doings to begin
with.
http://astalavista.box.sk/cgi-bin/ro...+xp+activation

Use at your own will and your own risk.

wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Thinking of buying a new computer without an operating system, is it
>possible to load windows xp from my own genuine programme cd? I only ask
>because when I loaded it on my current computer I had to get the
>authorisation thing done and wonder if there will be a problem a second
>time.
>
>many thanks

Dan

My understanding is that with XP Pro, you can install on two machines and
with XP Home just one machine.

news:bm9enu$cim$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Harrison wrote:
> > If your original CD was an OEM version which came with a brand name
> > computer, then it's very unlikely that you will be allowed to transfer
> > that registration to another machine.
> >
> > On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 17:19:44 +0000 (UTC), "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Thinking of buying a new computer without an operating system, is it
> >> possible to load windows xp from my own genuine programme cd? I
> >> only ask because when I loaded it on my current computer I had to
> >> get the authorisation thing done and wonder if there will be a
> >> problem a second time.
> >>
> >> many thanks

> No it was bought separately

Gordon Burgess-Parker

Dan wrote:
> My understanding is that with XP Pro, you can install on two machines
> and with XP Home just one machine.

Absolutely WRONG! It's ALWAYS been one machine one licence for operating
systems - though now MS have a way of enforcing it.
You are getting confused with Office. Some Office licences allow the user to
install on one PC and one Laptop.