Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Will a 2nd Hard drive at 5400 slow my system?

Will a 2nd Hard drive at 5400 slow my system?

Stevo

Travis wrote:
> More importantly - are both the drives
>>> ATA-133/100/66 etc interfaces? If you mix two interface types on
>>> the same cable, then they will both perform at the *slower* speed.
>>> To be safe, if you are usure as to the interface speed, put the
>>> second older drive on the secondary IDE port and see how it goes.
>>> Stevo

>> Ditto with your optical drive. Then you'll be able to easily add a
>> second hard disk on your primary IDE channel should you need more
>> room later. 30Gb will fill up fast under WinXP.

> Guys, thanks for the help thus far.
>
> However, now I have another question as to how to set this up.
>
> My 30GB hd is a Maxtor that supports ATA 5 for 100 MB/Sec
>
> My 20GB hd is a WD that supports ATA 4 for 66.6 MB/Sec.
>
> Now, I know that you both suggested hooking the newer one up to the
> primary IDE port and the slower one to the secondary IDE port. The
> problem is that I also have two CDRom drives: one is a reader, the
> other a CDR.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks again!

That might pose some problems for maximum performance but it might not make
a lot of difference in your day to day use.

I'd suggest the new HDD and CDR on the primary port, the other HDD and CD-RW
on the other... HDD's as masters, CD Drives as slaves in both cases..

But the CD-R is likely to be ATA66 so that port will run at that speed.

The other alternative is to get another plug in Dual IDE controller to give
you a couple more ports..

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

Travis

>But the CD-R is likely to be ATA66 so that port will run at that speed.

I checked the specs on my CDROM drive and was unable to come up with
the transfer rate. The CDRom is a 50x.

Is there any sort of benchmark test that I might be able to run that
would determine the transfer rate on both IDE's? Thanks again, you
guys are really helping me out.

Stevo

Travis wrote:
>> But the CD-R is likely to be ATA66 so that port will run at that
>> speed.
>>

> I checked the specs on my CDROM drive and was unable to come up with
> the transfer rate. The CDRom is a 50x.
>
> Is there any sort of benchmark test that I might be able to run that
> would determine the transfer rate on both IDE's? Thanks again, you
> guys are really helping me out.

I haven't seen any ATA100/133 CD drives but there might be some..

In all honesty, you are unlikely to really be affected by the slower
transfer speed, there is oftware around that will test the transfer rates
but in the end is it worth doing that? If you are *really* worried about
losing performance then just spring for an add on IDE controller card to run
the CD-ROM and leave the fast drive on the primary port on its lonesome.

--
Stevo
(pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Travis mused:

| I checked the specs on my CDROM drive and was unable to come up with
| the transfer rate. The CDRom is a 50x.

Most newer CD-ROMs are ATA-33. But, the belief that running two drives
of different speeds on the same IDE channel will cause both to run at the
slower of the two speeds may be a bit outdated. While once true, it's not
so much any longer. Of course, when copying from one drive to the other ...

| Is there any sort of benchmark test that I might be able to run that
| would determine the transfer rate on both IDE's? Thanks again, you
| guys are really helping me out.

SysSoft Sandra. Have an ATA-100 and ATA-66 drive on Primary Channel,
and both benchmark near their respective speeds.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"mhicaoidh" <mv_mhic_aoidh@hotXmailPM.com> wrote in message
> Taking a moment's reflection, Travis mused:
> |
> | I checked the specs on my CDROM drive and was unable to come up with
> | the transfer rate. The CDRom is a 50x.
>
> Most newer CD-ROMs are ATA-33. But, the belief that running two

drives
> of different speeds on the same IDE channel will cause both to run at the
> slower of the two speeds may be a bit outdated. While once true, it's not
> so much any longer. Of course, when copying from one drive to the other

<nod> As soon as you say "ATA_33" or higher, it's not true.

So, as long as you have valid chipset drivers, you've got dual-FIFO
and "they don't slow each other down". If you don't have the right chipset,
then you don't get UltraDMA anyway ... so it's "bog slow" , "even slower",
and "Boy, I can see the bits changing on the wire!" <B-)

> | Is there any sort of benchmark test that I might be able to run that
> | would determine the transfer rate on both IDE's? Thanks again, you
> | guys are really helping me out.
>
> SysSoft Sandra. Have an ATA-100 and ATA-66 drive on Primary Channel,
> and both benchmark near their respective speeds.

RwP

Mike H

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:49:41 -0500, Travis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> More importantly - are both the drives
>>> ATA-133/100/66 etc interfaces? If you mix two interface types on the same
>>> cable, then they will both perform at the *slower* speed. To be safe, if

>>you
>>> are usure as to the interface speed, put the second older drive on the
>>> secondary IDE port and see how it goes.
>>> Stevo

>>Ditto with your optical drive. Then you'll be able to easily add a second
>>hard disk on your primary IDE channel should you need more room later. 30Gb
>>will fill up fast under WinXP.

>Guys, thanks for the help thus far.
>
>However, now I have another question as to how to set this up.
>
>My 30GB hd is a Maxtor that supports ATA 5 for 100 MB/Sec
>
>My 20GB hd is a WD that supports ATA 4 for 66.6 MB/Sec.
>
>Now, I know that you both suggested hooking the newer one up to the
>primary IDE port and the slower one to the secondary IDE port. The
>problem is that I also have two CDRom drives: one is a reader, the
>other a CDR.
>
>Any suggestions? Thanks again!

If you are into copying CDs directly you might want to have your CD
and Burner on seperate channels. On some motherboards I have had
problems if they are on the same channel as master/slave. They had
problem transfering data at the same time on the same channel. Burned
a fair number of coasters before learning better. If you don't care
then you can alway keep them on the same channel and make images then
burn.

Regarding the hard drive slowing the system. It depends on how much
you access the drives. I accidentilly bought(and returned it later
with a lot of shouting ) a 5400 drive instead of the 7200 and I
noticed that there was a noticable difference when running them.
Copying files, operating system etc. If you where only using it to
store data it won't matter much but if you plan to play games off it
you will notice it.

Since you are putting in win98 I would suspect you are gonna be
playing games off it. At least that is what I am doing 98 for games
(ME isnt stable enough for me on my machine - to many crashes and
other problems) 2k for everything else. Still havent gone to XP on my
personal machine

My suggestion on setup would be:

30Gig
C: DOS = 1Gig or 500 Meg
D: 98 = 20 Gig
E: XP = 20 Gig
The sizes depend on what you plan on using the OS's for. I find that
the C drive needs more than 150 MB for some games and some stuff will
still get put there no matter where you install it.

10 Gig
Use for storage.

You might also want to setup another partition on the 30 gig for games
or programs or just install into the drive you are using the OS on.

I use partition magic and have never had problems with it yet - know
on wood - ouch that hurt.

Reason for the C: DOS partition - on my machine I have 2k running on
an NTFS partition. If it crashes I can get into it from the Dos
partition. Also, it helps for the boot manager incase I want to
reinstall/change OS's.

I am making a lot of assumptions here and I know you didnt ask about
setting up your comp regarding partitions. You can take what you need
and discard the rest
Life is like a box of chocolates. If you leave it in the sun it will melt