Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Discover IP address?

Discover IP address?

volfan

Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is a
HP LaserJet 4MV.
Thanks for any help.

Harrison

It would be on the server as a reservation in DHCP, if you have a
server running DHCP.
You could also use a port scanner and scan your network for all
devices. If the printer is connected and working, it will show up.
Superscan is good.
http://www.webattack.com/get/superscan.shtml

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:22:25 -0500, "volfan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
>does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is a
>HP LaserJet 4MV.
>Thanks for any help.

jeroen

says...
> Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
> does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is a
> HP LaserJet 4MV.
> Thanks for any help.

if it's networked it should have a mio option which allows you to print
out network settings.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
Jeroen Wijnands

volfan

The MAC address of the printer doesn't show up in leases on the server. If
it's there, it's under another name that I don't recognize. The printer
does not have an option to print the i/o configuration.
Thanks,
"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It would be on the server as a reservation in DHCP, if you have a
> server running DHCP.
> You could also use a port scanner and scan your network for all
> devices. If the printer is connected and working, it will show up.
> Superscan is good.
> http://www.webattack.com/get/superscan.shtml
>

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:22:25 -0500, "volfan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
> >does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is

> >HP LaserJet 4MV.
> >Thanks for any help.

Harrison

Did you look under reservations?
Typically, you'd want a print server to have a fixed IP address.

Also, has this printer been configured on an any workstations before
now? If so, the IP would be in the printer properties on that
computer.

You may also get better results with an HP specific forum.

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:42:20 -0500, "volfan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The MAC address of the printer doesn't show up in leases on the server. If
>it's there, it's under another name that I don't recognize. The printer
>does not have an option to print the i/o configuration.
>Thanks,
>"Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> It would be on the server as a reservation in DHCP, if you have a
>> server running DHCP.
>> You could also use a port scanner and scan your network for all
>> devices. If the printer is connected and working, it will show up.
>> Superscan is good.
>> http://www.webattack.com/get/superscan.shtml
>>

>> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:22:25 -0500, "volfan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
>> >does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is

>> >HP LaserJet 4MV.
>> >Thanks for any help.

Stace

"volfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
> does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is a
> HP LaserJet 4MV.
> Thanks for any help.

I vaguely recall using some HP software called JetAdmin to manage these
printers when they had JetDirect cards fitted to connect them directly to
the LAN several years ago.

Looking at the HP site, this is now obsolete and seems to have been replaced
by WebJetAdmin - no experience of this but you can get it from
http://tinyurl.com/qgo4

Stace.

why?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:22:25 -0500, volfan wrote:

>Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
>does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is a

It does (had many of these at work a while ago), if it's the Internal
JetDirect card, even an external print server if that's hows it's
connected will print a config page.

>HP LaserJet 4MV.

Otherwise, use the buttons on the front panel to view the TCP/IP
settings in the MIO menu.

Check the docs at www.hp.com , there is no 4MV manual I saw, but there
is a manual CD or look at the online 4Si, or 4V if there is one.
http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/s...7/bpl08037.pdf
it's very close if not exactly what I recall the 4MV to be. See section
6 first.

Or
http://www.computerfuchs.net/neu/pdf/hp4v_eng.pdf

Maybe even,
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/network.../bpj02326.html
HP LaserJet 4, 4 Plus, 4V, 4Si, and 5 series and HP Color LaserJet
printers
To configure TCP/IP parameters from the control panel, use the following
instructions:
1. Press MENU, repeatedly, until one of the following messages
appears on the control panel:

.... read the rest.

Carefully remove the JetDirect card, it should have the MAC address
printed on it. If you are using DHCP to issues addresses look up the
MAC. Same applies to external PS, there should be a label on it with the
MAC..

Unless you have a lot of HP devices try looking in the OUI listing
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml
d/l the text file and search it.

HP MACs start

00-01-E6 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
00-01-E7 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
00-04-EA (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
00-08-83 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
00-0A-57 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company - Standards
00-10-83 (hex) HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY
00-30-C1 (hex) HEWLETT-PACKARD
00-60-B0 (hex) HEWLETT-PACKARD CO.

Can't remember which were internal Jet Directs, but 00-60-B0 rings a
bell for the external JD's. Maybe they all were the same.

<snip>

If you need more links, then you too can use www.google.com hopefully.

Me

volfan

You're right, I found the option to print, but now it's even more confusing.
It show an ip address that's not even on my network. When I try to ping the
ip address shown, it show unreachable.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:22:25 -0500, volfan wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network printer? It
> >does not have an option to print the configuration page. The printer is

> It does (had many of these at work a while ago), if it's the Internal
> JetDirect card, even an external print server if that's hows it's
> connected will print a config page.
>
> >HP LaserJet 4MV.

> Otherwise, use the buttons on the front panel to view the TCP/IP
> settings in the MIO menu.
>
> Check the docs at www.hp.com , there is no 4MV manual I saw, but there
> is a manual CD or look at the online 4Si, or 4V if there is one.

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/s...7/bpl08037.pdf
> it's very close if not exactly what I recall the 4MV to be. See section
> 6 first.
>
> Or
> http://www.computerfuchs.net/neu/pdf/hp4v_eng.pdf
>
> Maybe even,
> http://www.hp.com/cposupport/network.../bpj02326.html
> HP LaserJet 4, 4 Plus, 4V, 4Si, and 5 series and HP Color LaserJet
> printers
> To configure TCP/IP parameters from the control panel, use the following
> instructions:
> 1. Press MENU, repeatedly, until one of the following messages
> appears on the control panel:
>
> ... read the rest.
>

> Carefully remove the JetDirect card, it should have the MAC address
> printed on it. If you are using DHCP to issues addresses look up the
> MAC. Same applies to external PS, there should be a label on it with the
> MAC..
>
> Unless you have a lot of HP devices try looking in the OUI listing
> http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml
> d/l the text file and search it.
>
> HP MACs start
>
> 00-01-E6 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
> 00-01-E7 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
> 00-04-EA (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
> 00-08-83 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company
> 00-0A-57 (hex) Hewlett-Packard Company - Standards
> 00-10-83 (hex) HEWLETT-PACKARD COMPANY
> 00-30-C1 (hex) HEWLETT-PACKARD
> 00-60-B0 (hex) HEWLETT-PACKARD CO.
>
> Can't remember which were internal Jet Directs, but 00-60-B0 rings a
> bell for the external JD's. Maybe they all were the same.
>
> <snip>
>
> If you need more links, then you too can use www.google.com hopefully.
>
> Me

Robert de Brus

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
volfan <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| Does anyone know how to discover the IP address of a network
|| printer? It does not have an option to print the configuration
|| page. The printer is a HP LaserJet 4MV.
|| Thanks for any help.

You should be able to see / change the IP address via the printer's control
panel.

Check the HP site for a manual if you don't have one.

Robert de Brus

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Harrison <(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| It would be on the server as a reservation in DHCP, if you have a
|| server running DHCP.

DHCP? It should have a static IP address