Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Changing Bios

Changing Bios

Lewis Engle

What do we do to update our bios? I have a computer with a bios of 1999 can
I update it to a more current bios? If I do will I need to know tech things
to do it or should I just leave it alone
Lewis Engle

Meat-->Plow

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:40:09 GMT, "Lewis Engle" <(E-Mail Removed)>,wrote:

>What do we do to update our bios? I have a computer with a bios of 1999 can
>I update it to a more current bios? If I do will I need to know tech things
>to do it or should I just leave it alone
>Lewis Engle

Leave it alone.

why?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:40:09 GMT, Lewis Engle wrote:

>What do we do to update our bios? I have a computer with a bios of 1999 can
>I update it to a more current bios? If I do will I need to know tech things
>to do it or should I just leave it alone

Leave it alone, unless you need support for a newer CPU/bit of hardware
or a specific bug fix.

Generally to u/g a bios you need,
DOS boot floppy, with
the new BIOS image file and flash utility.

Oh, and no power failure for about 5 minutes.

Me

Buffalo

"Lewis Engle" <t> wrote in message
news:dxzhb.648$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> What do we do to update our bios? I have a computer with a bios of 1999

can
> I update it to a more current bios? If I do will I need to know tech

things
> to do it or should I just leave it alone
> Lewis Engle

Flashing the BIOS is a fairly simple thing to do, if all the instructions
are followed precisely..
However, a power surge or power loss during the 'flash' could render your
computer non-functional.
Same thing if you somehow use the wrong BIOS (one not for your particular
motherboard brand and model).
Unless you need the benefit of a newer BIOS, you shouldn't really try it.
Some of the newer Asus motherboards have the option of doing it while in
Windows and online.
Most require you to go into regular DOS (not a DOS window).
Go to your motherboard mfg's website or PC's mfg website and get all the
info you need there.